Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 07:50 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is a very rare occasion where I agree with Jill, financing a car that old for that long isn't a good idea. I would even hesitate to finance a new car for that long.

I also am very concerned about you negotiating using the payment. That's never a good idea, and it's always so easy for the dealer to add profit. You need to negotiate the price, rate, costs and fees individually and the payment just comes out of that.
i concur with this. Always always negotiate price. Then if you need financing work on that. If you then can't get the payment you need, you find a different car. People get ripped off every day negotiating by payments. I myself always get my financing through usaa, then I go car shopping. As soon as a salesman mentions payment amount. I quickly tell them I only talk price not payments. Then they ask about financing. I tell them, I already have my financing. They quickly know I'm serious, and know what I'm doing. Always be ready to walk away. There's more out there if you can't make the right deal.
Old 06-21-17, 08:55 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
I'd never advocate a 72 month auto loan (depreciating asset and all) unless it was no other option, the average length of an auto loan in the US currently is 61 months. for a pre-owned vehicle I'd do 48 or 60 months; that said the CLS550 is a pretty decent vehicle. My only take is the reliability, the notion that you may face some repair costs while still making payments on the vehicle, especially with a lot of those electronic gremlins on a fully-optioned CLS car. Not saying no, but check out a few MB forums to see what ownership experiences others have had with the 2012-era CLS. Keep in mind it may be an astounding deal but it won't give you joy if it is unreliable; I'm not doubting MB (as far as I'm concerned they have better interiors and technology compared to the Lexus with a superior ride).....you just rarely see us Lexus owners griping on yet another mechanical issue like you would with BMW/MB and some Audi owners.

There is a reason MB CPO's only offer 1 year coverage (almost every other luxury brand offers 5-7 year from in-service date coverage)...
Originally Posted by DrRick
add about $2K to the financed price (you can only purchase it thru your loan originator) and purchase a Route 66 warranty. it will give you an additional 5 years and take you to 100k miles. $0 deductible, as well. most dealerships accept them, as well...
Originally Posted by Aron9000
72 months on an already 5 year old car??? Man that's kind of extending yourself IMO, how bad are you going to be upside down if you want to sell the car in the next 6 to 24 months???

I'd also read, read, and read in the Benz forum about this car. The CLS is not a turbodiesel German taxi, there is a lot of complex stuff to break, air suspension, twin turbo V8, and 2012 was the first year for the new body style, so it might not have all the kinks worked out yet.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is a very rare occasion where I agree with Jill, financing a car that old for that long isn't a good idea. I would even hesitate to finance a new car for that long.

I also am very concerned about you negotiating using the payment. That's never a good idea, and it's always so easy for the dealer to add profit. You need to negotiate the price, rate, costs and fees individually and the payment just comes out of that.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
This. Not a good idea when buying a car. The dealers love it.
Tons of good advice in this thread. OP keep in mind that those vehicles are essentially disposable and they don't make them like they used to.

Make sure you know what's in your purchase contract and look through everything carefully. Negotiating through a payment is definitely precarious and opens you up to dealer tomfoolery.

Auction values on this car will be in the mid to high 20s. Trade in should be right around there. The prices on these cars in my area (with similar or substantially less mileage) range from 31-33 (before any negotiation), with some private sellers listing a couple of grand above that (for higher mile cars) because they probably don't understand the market.
Old 06-21-17, 09:31 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

so, op -- what are you going to do?!?!
Old 06-21-17, 06:31 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry, had a few things come up couldn't get on here today.

So,I guess I confused some with asking about the payment. I of course would not negotiate on payment I know that. I did negotiate on price which was then converted to payments. I told them when looking I usually keep my cars 5-6 years that is why they gave me a 72 month financing. However, after reading your comments I do agree that 72 months of financing is a long time and I don't need to finance, but the rates were kind of low for todays market so that is why I asked...

Good news however, I got the car! I got the car for $32K cash, CPO for a year plus additional 2 years. Got myself a fun car. Will try and get photos up in the next couple days.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.
Old 06-21-17, 08:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL

So,I guess I confused some with asking about the payment. I of course would not negotiate on payment I know that. I did negotiate on price which was then converted to payments. I told them when looking I usually keep my cars 5-6 years that is why they gave me a 72 month financing. However, after reading your comments I do agree that 72 months of financing is a long time and I don't need to finance, but the rates were kind of low for todays market so that is why I asked...

Good news however, I got the car! I got the car for $32K cash, CPO for a year plus additional 2 years. Got myself a fun car. Will try and get photos up in the next couple days.

32k cash OTD? i think that's a very nice deal. comparing this to the extra 10k (30%) you will put down as interest over 6 years, that's big difference.

now time for some pics!
Old 06-21-17, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yes we need pics!
Old 06-21-17, 10:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!!!! I kind of see where you are coming from with the "lets finance it" deal, as money is pretty cheap now days. If it was like a new car with 0%, 0.9%, 1,9% type of APR deal, hell yeah finance that thing, you can earn better money over the term just buying a fund that tracks the S&P 500. However, I've never heard of used car loans getting anywhere close to those sort of killer deals you can get on new car financing.

Anyways, enough talk about $$$$. How's the car??? It was the twin turbo V8 model right, I'm sure its stupid fast. Post up some pics as well, always have liked the CLS, way more personality than the standard E-class.
Old 06-22-17, 05:28 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

I'll get pics up as soon as it gets back from the dealer. Dropped it off yesterday night to get the windows tinted, I had them throw that in too. This car is the V8 twin turbo, fastest stock car I have ever owned. Thing is fast! I love my LS460L for reliability and luxury but its definitely a nice change of pace to hop in this thing and zip around. Drove it at night for the first time last night. One of the coolest things I have seen on a car is the Mercedes night view assist plus. You push a button and a screen comes up on the nav. It uses a camera on the front that is inferred to totally make the view in front of you crystal clear like day time. Pretty cool the gadgets they put in these things(yes I know more to break ). Ambient lighting like the new S550's have is really nice. I can change between three colors, etc. The active contour seats are really cool too.

Aron9000, I looked at the S class (too much like my LS), I looked at a 2009 maserati quattroporte but was just too worried about issues, and I looked at the E class. The E class was just not sporty enough for me unless I got an AMG but I didn't want to pay the price. The CLS550 is great because its a good compromise between a 4 door which I need and a coupe sports car. I think its got great body lines and styling. Best thing about it is yeah its a 2012, but they are still making the body style so its great.
Old 06-22-17, 08:25 AM
Socal858
Rookie

congrats! enjoy the turbo v8 power!
Old 06-22-17, 08:32 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats.
CLS is a very exciting car, it has it own identify, steering is very sharp and accurate, the driving quality is much better than E class.
Enjoy your car and post some pictures.
Old 06-22-17, 07:26 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Well I didn't get it back until tonight so more pics to come in tomorrow when the sun is out. Did take it for a little cruise tonight to grab some late dinner and snapped a pic of the dash with the orange ambient lighting setting.
Attached Thumbnails Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-dash.jpg  

Last edited by LS430FL; 06-22-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 07:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Nice! I really like those cars
Old 06-23-17, 03:56 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Here we go...sorry for the crappy quality cell iPhone pics. Hoping to fully detail and wax it if its not too hot this weekend and I'll get some good ones taken. Too busy driving it
Attached Thumbnails Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-m3.jpg   Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-m2.jpg   Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-m1.jpg   Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-m4.jpg   Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?-m5.jpg  

Old 06-23-17, 04:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice! IMO, Mercedes looks best in silver.

Love the interior shot too.
Old 06-23-17, 05:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Here we go...sorry for the crappy quality cell iPhone pics. Hoping to fully detail and wax it if its not too hot this weekend and I'll get some good ones taken. Too busy driving it
EXTREMELY DOPE!!! I was so close to getting a "Ray Donovan" but my stoopid *** brother in law copped one, first. Had to show him the respect of some exclusivity in the fam. But good lord are they sexy!!!

Two words, tho: FLASH....TUNE. You can really turn those things into ROCKETS...

Quick Reply: Would you take this offer on a Mercedes CLS?