Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis after the first year.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 11:11 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The stigma of hyundai is wearing off.
I was wholly against buying a hyundai, and now I'd 30% consider it.

As long as the genesis brand has top of class head-turning designs, more people will find it hard to resist considering Genesis.

I think the g80 is a sleek looking car, except some funny bits in the front. (I don't like the trend of "gape grille for the sake of having a gape grille, and no other reason" that Audi started.)
The g90 is damn ugly though.

Both design and quality are what attract customers.
Old 06-13-17, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't think there's anything about the G90 I would consider "ugly", but I think it could be better looking
Old 06-13-17, 04:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Of all the luxury brands, Genesis takes most buyers from Lexus.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...l-predecessor/
Old 06-13-17, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't surprise me at all. When you drive them Lexus is clearly their benchmark.
Old 06-13-17, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

With the g80 and g90 outselling the gs and ls, maybe fancy dealers weren't quite the 'necessary' thing that people thought.
i do notice genesis seems to run more ads than lexus??

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-15-17 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is true but those brands were still not known for luxury or expensive cars. Many predicted the Japanese could not sell a car priced as high as the Acura Legend when it was going to come out, only the Americans and Europeans can do that. Hyundai has made a lot of strides in the past 10 years, and especially 5 years to be seen on equal footing or extremely close with the Japanese when it came to family sedans and CUV's. If Hyundai did a luxury brand in the 90's or early 2000's I would agree that their image was not good and nowhere close to the same as Toyota or Honda when they came out with Acura and Lexus but it is different now, putting out the Genesis and Equus first as Hyundai's helped slow walk those types of sedans to the public to get ready for the new luxury brand and I think it worked pretty well for them.
In the 1980s, Toyota had some models that were somewhat premium. People tend to forget that Toyota sold a RWD Cressida at the same time they sold the LS400 in the early 90s. But you are right, there was no real luxury models from Toyota.
Those Cressida models could be had with premium sound system upgrade, leather options for that era. I even recall the seats being diamond quilted. There was also a station wagon model too that Toyota advertised as a luxury wagon. You also had headlight washers on the 86 model.

You could also get a Turbocharged 4Runner with optional Hi-trac suspensions and an IRS in the mid 80s.

The Supra was not cheap on the 80s. Came with a Turbocharged engine. 4 wheel independent suspension. 230hp. A removable targa top. There was also optional leather in the 86 model. The Supra in the 80s even had adjustable TEM suspension.

Compared to Hyundai of today, Toyota in those days did not have a 10 year warranty, didn't have mediocre/poor resale. Toyota was known for never seen before reliability, low maintenance, good fuel economy, and very good resale. They were also precieved as different or strange to the domestic buyer. If i remember, their warranty in the 80s was 12 month or 12k. And they did not offer roadside assistance if I recall. They were also not cheaper than a comparable domestic.

So when Lexus was introduced, yes there were doubts. But the Toyota brand went a long, long way in establishing a reputation of what you would get if you were to purchase a never heard of Lexus.

I don't believe the Hyundai does the same almost 30 years later.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-13-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 07:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the lexus rx is extremely vulnerable right now. i keep seeing a white new one on the road and i still can't believe how bad it looks, like frankenstein meets mad max bad. if hyundai/genesis can build a luxurious sorrento or santa fe it could be a serious threat to luxury ute players.
I see a lot of them, so the look must have caught on. The interior is certainly nice, but I wouldn't have considered one if I was shopping in that category. The exterior styling is so overwrought, and you're right... in white it is hideous.

Re: Genesis, I would have considered them in a heartbeat when we got our CX-5, but no SUVs right now and nothing Hyundai offers really interested me.
Old 06-15-17, 12:09 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The thing is, the Japanese in the 1970's and 1980's provided SUPERIOR quality products compared to what the big 3 were cranking out in that small and midsize car catergory. Japan was also producing better trucks, better 4wd vehicles, and better SUV's by the 1980's as well, so it showed they were capabable of doing more than just one trick.

You have to keep in mind when the Koreans entered the market in the late 80's/90's, their cars were utter contemptable crap. Granted Japanese cars of the 1960's were utter contemptable crap as well, but they upped their quality, made what exactly hit the mark in terms of body styles people wanted in the mid/late 70's/80's, made quality cars, it took the Japanese a good 20 years to establish themselves in the American market before they tried such things as Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti.

Hyundia and Kia have been here even longer in the American market. But they didn't start making truly competitive and quality products until about 10 years ago, their first 10 years in the US market they made stuff that was rather lackluster to utter garbage, the only reason you bought a new Kia or Hyundia before about 2006 or so is because it was stupid cheap.

That's my opinion of why the Koreans have a much larger uphill battle in terms of selling something premium, the Japanese had a much better legacy of building superior cars vs the competition. I feel even in the past 10 years, the Koreans have finally caught up and are building "comparable" products to Honda and Toyota, but then again they are just what I'd call "comparable", not better, so I'd still buy Japanese if it were my money IMO.
Old 06-15-17, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like bit said their only two models already outsell the comparable Lexus models. The G80 is the #3 seller in the segment behind the 5 and E, and I believe the G90 is perhaps even the #2 or #3 seller in its segment. They're getting up that hill...
Old 06-15-17, 06:06 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Like bit said their only two models already outsell the comparable Lexus models. The G80 is the #3 seller in the segment behind the 5 and E, and I believe the G90 is perhaps even the #2 or #3 seller in its segment. They're getting up that hill...
This is specious reasoning.
Old 06-15-17, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This is specious reasoning.
LOL, how so? Specious because you don't want it to be the case?

Being new to the game and outselling very well established competitors is an achievement whether you want it to be or not. Bottom line is Genesis is doing well, better than I actually thought they'd be doing this early and I'm a fan already.

30% conquest from Lexus, I promise you they've taken notice. Right now Genesis makes a better Lexus than Lexus IMHO. The G80 is much closer to a traditional Lexus than the GS, and we'll see dynamically what the next LS is like.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-15-17 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-15-17, 07:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, how so? Specious because you don't want it to be the case?

Being new to the game and outselling very well established competitors is an achievement whether you want it to be or not. Bottom line is Genesis is doing well, better than I actually thought they'd be doing this early and I'm a fan already.

30% conquest from Lexus, I promise you they've taken notice. Right now Genesis makes a better Lexus than Lexus IMHO. The G80 is much closer to a traditional Lexus than the GS, and we'll see dynamically what the next LS is like.
The G90 is a brand new model selling 400 units a month, at a budget price. This is not successful nor is it an achievement. The Cadillac CT6 does 1000 units/mo.

Genesis does not compete for the same buyers as the established luxury segment.

30% of its sales are not from Lexus. 30% of its conquest sales are. And its conquest sales are in the single digit percentages. Most Genesis sales come from existing Hyundai owners or mainstream brand conquests. No one has taken notice.

And for good cause, considering this brand brings absolutely nothing new or compelling to these segments. Not in styling, service, performance, or quality. They are insurance car commercial pseudo-luxury cars. Even its badge is cliche.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-15-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 10:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

genesis going right after lexus... just saw this ad on facebook tonight (this is a grab from a video ad):

Old 06-15-17, 10:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

another i saw back in december...

Old 06-16-17, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The CT6 sells considerably cheaper than the G90, and it sells at a wider variety of dealerships. 400 units a month out of the extremely limited dealership network that sells the G90 is actually quite good. Remember the G90 is only sold out of two dealers here in DC, both of which are in VA. There are 6 Lexus dealers. 5 Cadillac dealers.

Lexus sales are all about value price, you mentioned the CT6 as a success while the G90 is a failure because it's value priced when the CT6 starts at a much lower price than the G90.

Your bias is showing heavily through here. Your post is verbatim what was said in MB and Mercedes forums 25 years ago about Lexus. Verbatim.

You truly only think 1-2% of Genesis buyers are conquest buyers? That's not realistic lol. What is your source for that statement? If anything I would bet you most sales are conquest since first time luxury buyers are more badge oriented.

Lexus better look out, for instance this is one 20 year customer who is almost definitely leaving the brand in 2 years, and very possibly going to Genesis. I'm not alone.

Quick Reply: Genesis after the first year.