Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
6 Ways to Beat the Heat with Leather Interior >

6 Ways to Beat the Heat with Leather Interior

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Ways to Beat the Heat with Leather Interior

 
Old 06-07-17, 10:04 AM
  #1  
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor
Thread Starter
 
Curated Content Editor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 698
Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Default 6 Ways to Beat the Heat with Leather Interior

Curated Content Editor is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 09:24 PM
  #2  
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic
 
Fizzboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 8,123
Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Pretty tacky article. First, one should never be in a moving vehicle with body limbs hanging out the window. This is a recipe for disaster if there was an accident. Airbags, debris, getting a limb sliced off, and sliding under a seatbelt because one was laying sideways are all realities. Really bad advice.

Steering wheel covers are a thing of the past, and have been for about 30 years. Hello, it's 2017. People don't buy a nice, expensive car with a fine-crafted leather wrapped, wood-trim steering wheel, only to cover it. Back in the 70's when steering wheels were a utilitarian mechanical device, it didn't matter if you covered it. But today's wheels are just as engineered and styled as the rest of the interior. This advice is so out of date, even cash-starved parts departments and sale's closers don't offer these parts as high mark-up accessories.
Fizzboy7 is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 01:26 AM
  #3  
Aron9000
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 4,471
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I'd say the best way to beat the heat with leather seats is to order a light color. The light tan in my SC300 is WAY cooler than some of the other darker seats I've had in other cars. Also tint your windows, with a quality tint that blocks UV rays, close the sunroof shade, and put one of those screens/sunblockers in the windshield.
Aron9000 is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 04:50 AM
  #4  
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 23,807
Liked 34 Times in 31 Posts
Default

tint windows, go even further with an IR rejecting film on the windshield like 3M Crystalline. Use a sun shade when parked
4TehNguyen is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 04:31 PM
  #5  
davyjordi
Lexus Champion
 
davyjordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,033
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen View Post
tint windows, go even further with an IR rejecting film on the windshield like 3M Crystalline. Use a sun shade when parked
i have the windows on one of my cars tinted with 3M's crystalline and the benefits are few to be honest. the car is maaaaaybe, possssssibly marginally cooler than a car tinted with another manufacturer's product. it's (mostly) all hype.
davyjordi is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 05:24 PM
  #6  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,608
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Part of the problem is, on many upmarket vehicles, the recent move away from cooler cloth interiors. My 2001 Lexus IS300, for example, had black cloth seats that rarely if ever got hot, even sitting in the sun. On most of today's vehicles, though, anything above entry-level is usually a choice between leather and "leatherette"...meaning the fake stuff. Both, of course, heat up in the sun......although cooled-seats help some.
mmarshall is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 01:35 AM
  #7  
Aron9000
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 4,471
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Part of the problem is, on many upmarket vehicles, the recent move away from cooler cloth interiors. My 2001 Lexus IS300, for example, had black cloth seats that rarely if ever got hot, even sitting in the sun. On most of today's vehicles, though, anything above entry-level is usually a choice between leather and "leatherette"...meaning the fake stuff. Both, of course, heat up in the sun......although cooled-seats help some.
Those "cloth/suede" seats in the IS300 were both a curse and a blessing, depending on what color you ordered. If I remember right, they had suede inserts down the center, with "leather" bolsters along the sides of the seats. The black suede/"leather" seats wore like iron, the very light tan suede/"leather" seats started to look like crap after a couple of years. When I bought my SC300, I was mainly looking for the IS300, all the cars with the tan suede/leather option looked horrid on the inside, even well kept cars that nobody smoked/ate in looked worn.

I think I'm going to start a thread about this, but the best thing about Detroit built cars back in the 70's/80's/early-mid 90's was the seat material. Damn did they use some quality fabrics(and leathers) and had some comfy seats, if you stayed out of the "economy" cars anyways.
Aron9000 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 07:17 AM
  #8  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,395
Liked 604 Times in 504 Posts
Default

"Recent move away" from cloth seats? If you consider over the past 15-20 years recent.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 07:29 AM
  #9  
Stroock639
Lexus Champion
 
Stroock639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,921
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

buy the ventilated seat package?
Stroock639 is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 07:35 AM
  #10  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,608
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
Those "cloth/suede" seats in the IS300 were both a curse and a blessing, depending on what color you ordered. If I remember right, they had suede inserts down the center, with "leather" bolsters along the sides of the seats. The black suede/"leather" seats wore like iron, the very light tan suede/"leather" seats started to look like crap after a couple of years.
The 1Gen IS300 leather seats had what were called "Alcantra" inserts in the middle....which was more or less a glorified suede. The cloth seats were all-cloth, but the center sections had a durable but rough-feeling fabric inserts.


When I bought my SC300, I was mainly looking for the IS300, all the cars with the tan suede/leather option looked horrid on the inside, even well kept cars that nobody smoked/ate in looked worn.
The 1Gen IS300 never really had a very Lexus-like interior. In fact, except for the smooth quiet drivetrain and good noise-isolation, it really wasn't very Lexus-like at all. It was a thinly-rebadged Toyota Altezza with a larger base engine. I liked the chronograph-gauges and chrome-ball shifter in mine, though.

I think I'm going to start a thread about this, but the best thing about Detroit built cars back in the 70's/80's/early-mid 90's was the seat material. Damn did they use some quality fabrics(and leathers) and had some comfy seats, if you stayed out of the "economy" cars anyways.
I'm with you on that. I also miss the velour seat-coverings and pillow-like cushions. On the big Buick I had in college, you sunk down into the super-soft padded front bench seat like a living-room sofa. Even the cushiest seats on today's luxury cars are firm in comparison, though they do, in some cases, offer better support

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-17 at 07:40 AM.
mmarshall is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 07:48 AM
  #11  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,608
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 View Post
Pretty tacky article. First, one should never be in a moving vehicle with body limbs hanging out the window. This is a recipe for disaster if there was an accident. Airbags, debris, getting a limb sliced off, and sliding under a seatbelt because one was laying sideways are all realities. Really bad advice.
Agreed, but tell that to Fido LOL.



Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Steering wheel covers are a thing of the past, and have been for about 30 years. Hello, it's 2017. People don't buy a nice, expensive car with a fine-crafted leather wrapped, wood-trim steering wheel, only to cover it. Back in the 70's when steering wheels were a utilitarian mechanical device, it didn't matter if you covered it. But today's wheels are just as engineered and styled as the rest of the interior. This advice is so out of date, even cash-starved parts departments and sale's closers don't offer these parts as high mark-up accessories.
They still seem to be selling, though. Walk into almost any auto-parts store, or the automotive department of a larger retail chain, and you will find dozens, if not hundreds of covers on the shelves. The stores wouldn't give them that much space if they didn't sell.

mmarshall is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 07:53 AM
  #12  
Coleroad
Lexus Champion
 
Coleroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,723
Liked 95 Times in 89 Posts
Default




I'm with you on that. I also miss the velour seat-coverings and pillow-like cushions. On the big Buick I had in college, you sunk down into the super-soft padded front bench seat like a living-room sofa. Even the cushiest seats on today's luxury cars are firm in comparison, though they do, in some cases, offer better support[/QUOTE]


yeah had had that on my 76 olds 98.
Coleroad is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 08:36 AM
  #13  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,608
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post


Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with you on that. I also miss the velour seat-coverings and pillow-like cushions. On the big Buick I had in college, you sunk down into the super-soft padded front bench seat like a living-room sofa. Even the cushiest seats on today's luxury cars are firm in comparison, though they do, in some cases, offer better support

Originally Posted by Coleroad
yeah had had that on my 76 olds 98.

Fixed the quotes for you.
mmarshall is offline  
Old 06-10-17, 08:36 PM
  #14  
dseag2
Lexus Champion
 
dseag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 4,654
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
I'd say the best way to beat the heat with leather seats is to order a light color. The light tan in my SC300 is WAY cooler than some of the other darker seats I've had in other cars. Also tint your windows, with a quality tint that blocks UV rays, close the sunroof shade, and put one of those screens/sunblockers in the windshield.
I agree. The Nougat Brown leather seats in my A4 stay pretty cool compared to the black leather seats in our CX-5. But at least the A/C is good. Also, the headliner is light gray, which I would not have wanted in the A4, but it probably keeps the interior cooler in the CX-5.

Bottom line... ventilated seats would have been great in both. The G37 Convertible we traded in for the CX-5 had ventilated seats and it was great in hot weather.

Last edited by dseag2; 06-10-17 at 08:40 PM.
dseag2 is offline  
Old 06-11-17, 03:17 AM
  #15  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,608
Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Probably goes without saying, but, whenever possible, park indoors or in a covered garage. Parking under trees can sometimes help, but, depending on what time of year it is, can mean a lot of stuff dropping on the car....and hazardous during storms.
mmarshall is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Ways to Beat the Heat with Leather Interior


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: