Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 08:50 AM
corpnupe85
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would definitely save $500 to $1.000 every 17,000 to 20,000 miles on having the brakes replaced on the 350 F Sport.
Old 05-18-17, 09:30 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Tesla has a nice sound system though, I think it sounds better than my ML. I tried both the Model S and X. I wonder who makes it.
Old 05-18-17, 10:30 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Tesla has a nice sound system though, I think it sounds better than my ML. I tried both the Model S and X. I wonder who makes it.
I company called s1nn makes the sound system for the model S: https://www.whathifi.com/features/ho...model-s-saloon
Old 05-18-17, 10:38 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

So it's still made by the Harman group, same as the ML.
Old 05-18-17, 11:57 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corpnupe85
Hello All,
I looked at a 2017 Model S today. I was disappointed. The Model S has no XM satellite radio, no ventilated seats, weak cross sensing alert and blind spot monitoring. It didn't have a lot of storage locations. The customer service was not good either. I would be better off purchasing a Lexus GS 450 h. Just my experience.
There really isn't anything to cross shop a Model S against unless you go on price alone. No one else makes a long range fully electric with that kind of performance. I have a 2013 GS 350 Lux and my best friend recently purchased a Model S P100D. I've spent a good bit of time driving and riding in the Tesla. All the knocks on Tesla interior are valid. His is top line with alcantara everywhere, but the interior doesn't look or feel like a 6 figure luxury car to me. Storage space is sparse and the interior is so minimalist, they seemed to have sacrificed function for form. Spend time behind the wheel and it's a different story. It's quick enough to briefly make you dizzy on launching it. The acceleration is truly mind bending. It handles very well given its size and weight as all the weight is down below the floor. I think it's a great looking car (his is metallic white w/ the dark 21" wheels). He gets 280 miles of range at 80% charge; 310+ on a full charge. Sat radio is only available with the premium stereo, but the base stereo sounds good (I have ML in my GS which I think sounds better) and includes free internet streaming. The SQ of streaming radio is noticeably better than the compressed sat garbage. The Tesla in traffic is incredible. The traffic aware cruise control and self driving are truly amazing and a glimpse at what cars 10 years from now will be capable of. It's a totally different driving and ownership experience. I do enough long distance road trips that the extra time stopping to charge is a negative for me, but if I never needed to drive more than 200 miles a day, full electric is a fully viable solution now. The only way the 450h is a cross shop is if you're looking at a used or stripped Model S and ignore the huge differences in use case or technology.
Old 05-18-17, 12:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from its drivetrain, tech, and styling the Model S is a mediocre car.

The media keeps kissing its a** but this is fact. I used to work closely with Tesla clients and my overwhelming impression is that they are not "car" people like you and I. They don't care about luxury or performance (besides straight line bragging rights). They love smart phones and gadgets, and the Model S/X/3 are the automotive extension of that. That's why they love Tesla so much.

Anybody who enjoys a well-built, luxurious, and well thought out vehicle that can actually hang in corners should head to a BMW, Merc, Audi, Porsche, or Lexus dealership.
Old 05-18-17, 02:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally, I was going to buy a GS450h.
Apart from ROI, don't forget that the 450 has a reduced trunk volume, and is about 400 lbs heavier on the handling/dynamics.
Some people think that increasing the weight also increases the grip - true, but only to a certain point.
Increasing the weight will always decrease the agility; ie the rate of change of direction.
Old 05-18-17, 06:28 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Originally, I was going to buy a GS450h.
Apart from ROI, don't forget that the 450 has a reduced trunk volume, and is about 400 lbs heavier on the handling/dynamics.
Some people think that increasing the weight also increases the grip - true, but only to a certain point.
Increasing the weight will always decrease the agility; ie the rate of change of direction.
Trunk holds my cart bag of golf clubs, shoes, and about 6 doubled bags of groceries without crushing any of it. I'd say the space is ample.

400lbs doesn't keep it from being slow or agile. It's quicker than a GS 350. I don't have mine on a track but kicking *** around town and around the highways and byways is fine. And yes, they're are plenty of quicker, better handling vehicles for probably cheaper prices but will suffer in other subjective areas...e.g.Tesla.

I think we all pretty much agree that Tesla even has a long way to go in the aforementioned areas to truly have a top quality product across all of the standard measures.

Personally, the 350/450h Fsport/Lux with all the creature comforts (that includes about 7/8 of the touted Tesla comforts) is easily a better vehicle to have.
Old 05-18-17, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

The acceleration of the Tesla Model S P100D is truly amazing and addictive.
Old 05-18-17, 07:12 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

electric cars cool on lease but going to need a new 5-10k battery every 5 years or so
Old 05-18-17, 09:03 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The acceleration of the Tesla Model S P100D is truly amazing and addictive.
Practicality?
Old 05-19-17, 05:58 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
electric cars cool on lease but going to need a new 5-10k battery every 5 years or so
that i dont agree. Some owners put over 200k miles on their model s and it only lost 5% range
Old 05-19-17, 06:46 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I got that info from a friend who just bought one from dealer and thats what dealer said. I suppose a battery could last long enough, but it should be noted that a new battery is expensive.
Old 05-19-17, 09:41 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Trunk holds my cart bag of golf clubs, shoes, and about 6 doubled bags of groceries without crushing any of it. I'd say the space is ample.

400lbs doesn't keep it from being slow or agile. It's quicker than a GS 350. I don't have mine on a track but kicking *** around town and around the highways and byways is fine. And yes, they're are plenty of quicker, better handling vehicles for probably cheaper prices but will suffer in other subjective areas...e.g.Tesla.

I think we all pretty much agree that Tesla even has a long way to go in the aforementioned areas to truly have a top quality product across all of the standard measures.

Personally, the 350/450h Fsport/Lux with all the creature comforts (that includes about 7/8 of the touted Tesla comforts) is easily a better vehicle to have.
Just depends on one's personal needs, wants and tastes really.

I'm picky for trunk size, because I often carry many suitcases, so I find the 450h's trunk wanting.
I'm also rather picky for handling, so I can feel that extra 400 lbs of mass.

Someone else might be super picky, and they'd end up in an SUV for trunk size, or a coupe for handling...
Old 05-19-17, 06:55 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Yep.

My recommendation is to look throughout the continental US (you are in the US?)., I live in VA and found mine in CA. It's such a unicorn (even among 450h's) that I had them ship it in a covered enclosed car carrier cross-country. Lexus of Monterey was very cool about the sale - no crap. Split the shipping charge and hooked me up with the balance of a year of Enform even though the vehicle wasn't new. Long and short, you might find the 450h that you want locally, but you greatly improve your chances if you open up the view and accept the cost of freight.

Good luck!

Sal
+1 - Good advice from Sal here. I would honestly consider a slightly used GS450h (i.e. 2015/2016) because they have taken a large depreciation hit and with patience, you'll find your "perfectly" equipped vehicle with low miles.

Honestly corpnupe85, I'm glad you took the time to test drive and contemplate if the Tesla Model S was the right vehicle for you. It's also great that you're seeking the advice of others (or at least are open to hear what others have to say), since it's definitely should not be a quick decision when putting down this that much $$$ on a vehicle.

I love the Tesla Model S, but I agree with everyone here that in terms of interior, there is no comparison to the Lexus GS. It crushes any vehicle out there in terms of technology/torque/emissions/etc, but there are definitely other cons you also have to consider.

A GS350/450h is just an amazing value if you consider what you're getting, especially if they want a more sporty sedan.

All the best,

~ Im2bz2p345

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S