Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus expanding the "no haggle" programs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The new LS will debut with Bridgestone run flat tires.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news...-2017-ls-model

Old 08-23-17, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new LS will debut with Bridgestone run flat tires.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news...-2017-ls-model

The article references the new technology allowing the use of thinner sidewalks for smoother, quieter ride. Technology will improve I'm sure.
Old 08-24-17, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

on related note, has anyone used carbon fiber inside runflats? seems like it could provide the strength without the weight...
Old 08-24-17, 07:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I ditched the runflats when I got the Pilot Super Sports, as many of the forum members did, haven't looked back. Gonna mention it again, the cost justification isn't there (just can't take the B school out of the kid), but if not for marginal benefit < marginal cost, the degradation of the ride. You know that stereotype of blowing one's nose with Benjamin Franklins, the rft tires reminds me of such as shops are not to plug or patch them, they are replaced. This helps to sell tire warranties, and on and on...
Old 08-24-17, 08:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I ditched the runflats when I got the Pilot Super Sports, as many of the forum members did, haven't looked back. Gonna mention it again, the cost justification isn't there (just can't take the B school out of the kid), but if not for marginal benefit < marginal cost, the degradation of the ride. You know that stereotype of blowing one's nose with Benjamin Franklins, the rft tires reminds me of such as shops are not to plug or patch them, they are replaced. This helps to sell tire warranties, and on and on...
I don't want to drag this back there, but you also would not purchase a new $95,000+ LS500 anyways. The vast majority of new LS buyers aren't concerned about future tire replacement costs, I know I'm not. What I'm worried about is performance, ride and noise comfort.

Runflats are the future though, technology will improve and the drawbacks will be lessened.
Old 08-24-17, 09:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't want to drag this back there, but you also would not purchase a new $95,000+ LS500 anyways. The vast majority of new LS buyers aren't concerned about future tire replacement costs, I know I'm not. What I'm worried about is performance, ride and noise comfort.

Runflats are the future though, technology will improve and the drawbacks will be lessened.
LS owners sure are concerned, that's the explanation on why there are so few 3rd gens with the sport suspension (which for many of us would have been a no-brainer to get it). Lexus used to put disclaimers when their cars were sold with full blown summers. Weird that you think nobody is concerned with anything (the underlying message seems to be image), it's not all about cost, it's about what's suitable. It was the same with BMW, some avoided the ZSP based on tires. The X5 came with 315's on the rear, I think it's absolutely bang for buck to opt for them. Most X5s don't have them as most do not order them that way.
Old 08-24-17, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
LS owners sure are concerned, that's the explanation on why there are so few 3rd gens with the sport suspension (which for many of us would have been a no-brainer to get it). Lexus used to put disclaimers when their cars were sold with full blown summers. Weird that you think nobody is concerned with anything (the underlying message seems to be image), it's not all about cost, it's about what's suitable. It was the same with BMW, some avoided the ZSP based on tires. The X5 came with 315's on the rear, I think it's absolutely bang for buck to opt for them. Most X5s don't have them as most do not order them that way.
If that was the case then why is basically every 2005 and 2006 LS430 riding on those low profile tires on the 18s that came with that warning? After 2004 they were basically standard. The sport suspension had nothing to do with tire wear, the size of the wheels did. People didn't buy the sport suspension because they wanted a softer more traditional Lexus ride, and because it was very rare on dealer lots. Remember, most consumers don't "order" cars at all, they buy what is available on the lot.

I will say with confidence that the cost of replacement tires is not a significant concern for people who buy $90,000+ sedans new. Remember, I am one of those consumers, you aren't. For used consumers perhaps it is but it isn't for new buyers.

Let's hear from some more actual new purchasers of $90,000+ cars, did the cost of replacement tires ever enter into your purchase decision in any impactful way?

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-24-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 10:25 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

If that was the case then why is basically every 2005 and 2006 LS430 riding on those low profile tires on the 18s that came with that warning? After 2004 they were basically standard. The sport suspension had nothing to do with tire wear, the size of the wheels did. People didn't buy the sport suspension because they wanted a softer more traditional Lexus ride, and because it was very rare on dealer lots. Remember, most consumers don't "order" cars at all, they buy what is available on the lot.

I will say with confidence that the cost of replacement tires is not a significant concern for people who buy $90,000+ sedans new. Remember, I am one of those consumers, you aren't. For used consumers perhaps it is but it isn't for new buyers.

Let's hear from some more actual new purchasers of $90,000+ cars, did the cost of replacement tires ever enter into your purchase decision in any impactful way?
For an every day car the cost of tires isn't a big deal for me because I never get OEM replacement tires once they wear out because they are typically crap tires and I can get better performing tires for less that will last much longer. I will say that maintence does play a factor in my decisions for an everyday car. Not $90k but I was looking at an LR4 a few years ago and while it wasn't the only factor, the fact that many people were replacing brakes/rotors and tires within 20k miles at a couple thousand dollars was a big factor.
Old 08-24-17, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
For an every day car the cost of tires isn't a big deal for me because I never get OEM replacement tires once they wear out because they are typically crap tires and I can get better performing tires for less that will last much longer. I will say that maintence does play a factor in my decisions for an everyday car. Not $90k but I was looking at an LR4 a few years ago and while it wasn't the only factor, the fact that many people were replacing brakes/rotors and tires within 20k miles at a couple thousand dollars was a big factor.
Thats what would keep me out of a LR product. Thats a great example though, despite their reputation for unreliability and high maintenance costs...look how well they sell! When you get up into the higher dollar stuff, you can see where buyers seem to disregard cost of ownership when choosing vehicles.
Old 08-24-17, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thats what would keep me out of a LR product. Thats a great example though, despite their reputation for unreliability and high maintenance costs...look how well they sell! When you get up into the higher dollar stuff, you can see where buyers seem to disregard cost of ownership when choosing vehicles.
From what I remember from your posting, when you looked at and test-drove a RR Sport, you practically fell in love with it.
Old 08-24-17, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I remember from your posting, when you looked at and test-drove a RR Sport, you practically fell in love with it.
The full Range Rover, not the Sport. Yeah I love it, but reliability and high maintenance requirements concern me.
Old 08-24-17, 03:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most newer auto-manufacturer Roadside Assistance Programs (which come with their new vehicles) simply contract with AAA for the services, anyway. So why pay an extra $100 when the factory, with a new vehicle, gives it to you free for at least 3-4 years anyway? And with GM, you also get free OnStar service and, on applicable vehicles, free XM satellite radio for a limited time also.
You just said it yourself: The manufacturer contracts with AAA for certain services for a new car owner. The manufacturer does not supply an AAA membership to a new car owner. A rather important distinction especially when talking about replacing OEM tires with aftermarkets.