Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2017 Lexus GX 460 is Better than Ever (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
MAYBE wouldn't be bad w/the blackened sport version grill without so much damn chrome!

IMO the blackened-out sport-grilles look even worse...like big spindle-shaped holes.
Old 05-23-17, 07:53 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this thing ever get a complete redesign? like the rest of the lineup? I wanted to get one, the exterior I like but the interior is so outdated already compared to the NX, RX and LX
Old 05-23-17, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Actually, I have a few times when I had to park off-road at a golf course when the lot was full. The GX is a real, fully capable off road SUV. I have driven mine in both torrential, monsoon rains and full blizzard conditions with 8+ in. of unplowed snow and you never even know you are driving in bad weather. If you need or want a fully off-road capable SUV that will go in almost any weather conditions and is very luxurious and safe for your family it's a great vehicle. With the V8 and towing package it's also a very good SUV if you need to tow anything as well. I have had 3 of them and plan on a 4th when they remodel it, assuming they do not butcher it by making it a car with a minivan-ish body and a v6 engine. It does not look or drive like a car because it is not, its a real truck that is very quiet and luxurious inside, like any Lexus. They are not for everyone, my wife hates mine and would take her BMW over mine any day of the week because she does not like the "truck" feel and "floaty" drive, and not to mention the looks too, but if you want a real SUV that is a fully capable both off road and on, Lexus reliability, and a safe vehicle in any driving conditions I would recommend giving the GX a chance, or the LX if you want a larger SUV. They are certainly niche vehicles these days as there are very few full body on frame SUV's left but they certainly have their use and following, and as was previously stated they hold their value very well. The GX looks very similar to the LX, like it's little brother, but it's a completely different vehicle based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. The LX is certainly a bigger vehicle (longer wheelbase and wider body) and as such it has a much more refined driving feel but it is also just as capable off road and in bad weather conditions, if not more so.
I agree with what you are saying. Although we don't have a GX, we have a V8 BOF 4runner with the Torsen Diff. Best 4WD system we have ever had. Feels unstoppable. We also have a LX450, that is very good as well. Full time 4WD and that feels like a tractor, also feels unstoppable. My older parents​ have a new gen 4WD, also feels unstoppable except no Torsen full time and really rediculous large 20 inch narrow tires. The new 4runner feels least capable IMO.

That all being said, most Toyota BOF trucks and SUVS provide a certain level of satisfaction than cross overs do not. If I was driving across the US, I would probably prefer a RX or Highlander, but to know that I can get though anything a Toyota BOF SUV will do.
Old 05-23-17, 10:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

^^^ I had an 07 4Runner V8 and loved it. It leads me to believe I'd be happy with a GX and may be why I have a soft spot for them.
Old 05-23-17, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I had an 07 4Runner V8 and loved it. It leads me to believe I'd be happy with a GX and may be why I have a soft spot for them.
You should. The current GX is about the same size as the old V8 4runner. The new 4runner has been made larger inside with a higher hood and roof. It is larger for sure or is perceived to be.
Old 05-23-17, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
MAYBE wouldn't be bad w/the blackened sport version grill without so much damn chrome!
agreed.
Old 05-23-17, 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't agree with the Fill-'Em-Up look. It's a good idea to have some gaps in the wheel wells, so you can get a hose in there to clean out dirt, mud, salt, etc.....

Not only that, but in conditions of deep sticky/slushy snow (as opposed to the drier, fluffier type), it tends to build up in the wells as you drive. (I noticed that with my former Subaru Outback). In really bad conditions, one has to stop every few miles and, at least in the front wells, clean enough of the packed-in snow from either side of the front tires so that they can at least turn left or right with the steering wheel....and for all four the wheels to move up and down with the suspension without being blocked by packed snow. All that is a lot easier to do, of course, if there is room to get your hand or another object up in there. I'm not saying that will happen every time you drive in snow, but it will happen in the right conditions.

Of course, bit, where you live in Florida, snow usually isn't a problem. Nor would it probably be for you, either, Fizz, especially if you live in southern California or near the beach.
I'd wager to say 98% of those who buy or lease the luxurious GX do not go offroad or drive in mud. And I have never heard of packed snow causing drivability problems in any sort of modern SUV. Maybe a tiny percent in extreme cases could snow build up in a lower automobile. But I highly doubt that reasoning would be on the table at the Lexus engineer's board meeting. The way it is today, the gap is likely because they don't want to spend the money retooling a different suspension set-up for us U.S.soft-roaders. That and the jacked up look may lend a false sense of toughness, that the soft-roaders fall for.
Old 05-23-17, 11:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts

Owners please chime in, although I'm pretty much asking a rhetorical question.

My beater truck is a 2003 Yukon with 118k. It's been in the family since it was new, nobody needs it anymore so it's been mine for a while. Use it for utility and towing the boat, and I drive it for errands and stuff. It's beat up and there are the usual GM quality niggles (CD player broken, gauge cluster shot) but otherwise it's solid, runs well, and I like driving it. It feels tough and solid, like I could jump a curb going fast and not mess it up. You sit high, and it's roomy. It's not a fast vehicle but feels powerful. Steering is loose but it's overall a nice driving truck. No comparison to my LS430 but I do drive the Yukon at least half of the time so there's that. Like I said... I like tough, solid trucks. Crossovers do nothing for me. My mom has a top of the line '15 Enclave and while quite a nice vehicle to drive, it does zero for me bc it's not a real BOF SUV.

Based on all of this, do yall think would I enjoy a GX? Once I find the right one I'm buying it, trading in our IS350 and said Yukon. I just assume I'll enjoy it for the reasons I like my Yukon, except with some decadent Lexus luxury baked in.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-23-17 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 04:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,392 Posts

coming from a 2003 yukon (glad it's been good to ya!), and based on your comments, i think you will find a gx heavenly.
Old 05-24-17, 10:56 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Follow your soft spot We've owned similar car/SUV. GX has by far been the vehicle we like most.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Owners please chime in, although I'm pretty much asking a rhetorical question.
You may find this useful.
Old 05-24-17, 03:07 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me if they redesign the GX with the spindle grille in mind, it will look so much better. The "slapped-on" spindle grill and front design of the LX is much better executed than the GX.

The GX is increasingly an important SUV in the lineup. Who would have ever guessed that the GX would ever outsell the GS 3:1? Lexus needs to be strategic in their plans for the next generation GX.