Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, from this story you just told us, it sounds like you ran into some of the classic problems that a lot of people who decide that they want to terminate a lease early do........and we've had a number of threads here in Car Chat on just that very subject.

It's up to you and your wife, of course, but, based on the criteria you stated in the opening post, since you only have 10 months to go, I'd consider holding off and finishing the Sedona lease
Have you read anything I've posted? I've said repeatedly I have no intention of trading out early if I have to roll over any negative equity lol. I wasn't born yesterday
Old 05-18-17, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Have you read anything I've posted? I've said repeatedly I have no intention of trading out early if I have to roll over any negative equity lol. I wasn't born yesterday
OK...I wasn't trying to misread your post. Perhaps I did not see that specific part.....or just overlooked it. I wouldn't either, for almost $900 a month LOL.
Old 05-18-17, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean, I've literally said it 15 times.
Old 05-21-17, 07:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I was paying $900 a month on my '15 S5, but that was a $60k+ car with a 2-year lease! "Only $880 per month"? Great move deciding to wait until your lease is up. Love how these dealerships are doing you a favor.

The Pacifica is a really nice-looking minivan, but it will still be there in 10 months when you are ready to trade. ;-)
Old 05-21-17, 07:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious lol. If only I could have lived without that tow hitch!

I pay $950 for the LS lol

And actually the Odyssey is looking pretty great. The MSRP is less than the Pacifica loaded but I'm sure transaction price will be more.
Old 05-22-17, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So I was in VA for an appointment today and was really early due to over-compensating for traffic.

I stopped by a Honda dealer just to see if maybe by luck they would have a new Odyssey, no such luck but very soon. First ones should ones should be there in the next couple days. I did get a brochure and was able to talk to the sales manager about the van.

At his dealer he's had 5 people come in today alone to try and put deposits down, he's not expecting over MSRP but he's expecting it to be some time before he has any that stay on the lot more than a day or so for people to test out, etc. He said if the launch of the Pilot was any indication, lease rates will be horrible for a while. He estimated that at onset I'd be looking at ~ $750 for a $47.5k Elite model 3/12k. Not paying $200 more a month than a Pacifica lol, but from everything we've seen the Odyssey looks like the better van.

Have 10 months so we'll see what the landscape looks like then with the Odyssey, if demand has settled down. However, markdown prices on their 2017 inventory is only ~ $2k off, I know Hondas don't have a huge markup. Contrast to easily $8k off of a $49k Pacifica...the Odyssey will be significantly costlier.
Old 05-22-17, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So I was in VA for an appointment today and was really early due to over-compensating for traffic.
At best (say, early on a Sunday Morning), traffic in NoVA is just barely acceptable. At worst, well............

Every now and then, though (as you found out) you might have smooth-sailing.

I stopped by a Honda dealer just to see if maybe by luck they would have a new Odyssey, no such luck but very soon. First ones should ones should be there in the next couple days. I did get a brochure and was able to talk to the sales manager about the van.

At his dealer he's had 5 people come in today alone to try and put deposits down, he's not expecting over MSRP but he's expecting it to be some time before he has any that stay on the lot more than a day or so for people to test out, etc. He said if the launch of the Pilot was any indication, lease rates will be horrible for a while. He estimated that at onset I'd be looking at ~ $750 for a $47.5k Elite model 3/12k. Not paying $200 more a month than a Pacifica lol, but from everything we've seen the Odyssey looks like the better van.

Have 10 months so we'll see what the landscape looks like then with the Odyssey, if demand has settled down. However, markdown prices on their 2017 inventory is only ~ $2k off, I know Hondas don't have a huge markup. Contrast to easily $8k off of a $49k Pacifica...the Odyssey will be significantly costlier.
Honda, though, unlike Chrysler, never depended much on factory-incentives or dealer-discounts to sell their vehicles. For decades, their good reputation and high demand for their products allowed them to pretty much run their dealerships and sales / service like they wanted to. Those days are gone, as Honda now has real competition from not only its traditional Toyota, but Kia and Hyundai as well. Even GM and Ford are chiming in now on what used to be Honda territory...though not in the minivan department that both abandoned years ago. Anyhow, the point is that some Honda shops still try to operate like it's the 1980s and 1990s, when the world has changed since then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-17 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Sounds like you have the itch to trade. I've been there and it rarely works out financially. I finally decided to stay the course on our G37 Convertible and ride out the lease. 39 months, and we will be done this week! It feels so much better not to have the remaining payments rolled into the new lease payments. Hang in there!
Old 05-22-17, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At best (say, early on a Sunday Morning), traffic in NoVA is just barely acceptable. At worst, well............

Every now and then, though (as you found out) you might have smooth-sailing.
Must be people already gone for the weekend...

Originally Posted by dseag
Sounds like you have the itch to trade. I've been there and it rarely works out financially. I finally decided to stay the course on our G37 Convertible and ride out the lease. 39 months, and we will be done this week! It feels so much better not to have the remaining payments rolled into the new lease payments. Hang in there!
Oh I'm not doing anything until I can get out of the Sedona clear. It would be one thing if it were a vehicle I was actually going to enjoy having lol.

It was more just "I'm at this red light, with 6 minutes until my destination and I'm an hour early, and theres a Honda dealer". I actually drove an XC90 next door just for fun and checked out the new V90 Cross Country.
Old 05-22-17, 07:45 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Honda, though, unlike Chrysler, never depended much on factory-incentives or dealer-discounts to sell their vehicles. For decades, their good reputation and high demand for their products allowed them to pretty much run their dealerships and sales / service like they wanted to. Those days are gone, as Honda now has real competition from not only its traditional Toyota, but Kia and Hyundai as well. Even GM and Ford are chiming in now on what used to be Honda territory...though not in the minivan department that both abandoned years ago. Anyhow, the point is that some Honda shops still try to operate like it's the 1980s and 1990s, when the world has changed since then.
You are right. The payments on the Honda Accord I leased for my cousin are almost as much as the payments I negotiated on the Mazda CX-5, which is almost $8k more. I bit the bullet because of Honda's reliability and the fact that I will be paying for the maintenance. We will strongly consider another brand when the lease ends.
Old 05-22-17, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I may be the only one here, but I'll speak anyway. I think the switch would be a downgrade. The first and most important thing I consider in a car buying purchase (lease) is reliability. I do not believe the Pacifica is built to the same standards as the Kia or Honda. This could easily translate to a troublesome, annoying, and even a dangerous ownership experience. Nearly every single new Chrysler model rates at below average or horrible, as well as having a long list of early recalls and safety defects. I hope I'm wrong on this one, as I'd love for this to serve you well.
Old 05-23-17, 06:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Must be people already gone for the weekend...

Oh I'm not doing anything until I can get out of the Sedona clear. It would be one thing if it were a vehicle I was actually going to enjoy having lol.

It was more just "I'm at this red light, with 6 minutes until my destination and I'm an hour early, and theres a Honda dealer". I actually drove an XC90 next door just for fun and checked out the new V90 Cross Country.
What did you think of the XC90, and how did the twin charged 4 cylinder feel?
Old 05-23-17, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Volvo right next door to Honda? You must have been in downtown Fairfax, in that row of Brown and Rosenthal Dealerships, right at the Route 50/29 split........including Nissan and VW. I know that dealer-strip well (small dealerships, and, with dense traffic, not the best place in the world for test-drives, but OK...I've seen lots worse).

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8539...7i13312!8i6656

Next time you're out there (if you are anytime soon) stop at La Dolce Vita, a quaint little Italian place right around the corner from that dealer-strip, on the north side Route 50. You'll get an excellent Italian lunch there.....one of the best for the money.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Vh...k8L8kRF3RKIFic

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-17 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I may be the only one here, but I'll speak anyway. I think the switch would be a downgrade. The first and most important thing I consider in a car buying purchase (lease) is reliability. I do not believe the Pacifica is built to the same standards as the Kia or Honda. This could easily translate to a troublesome, annoying, and even a dangerous ownership experience. Nearly every single new Chrysler model rates at below average or horrible, as well as having a long list of early recalls and safety defects. I hope I'm wrong on this one, as I'd love for this to serve you well.
From a reliability standpoint, I agree it can be considered a downgrade, but the Pacifica is a better "van".

By the time we get one it'll be the second model year, I know lots of people with modern Jeeps and such, and I had two myself. They're not perfect, but I'm not concerned for a 3 year lease. All things equal, I'd choose the Odyssey but its going to cost a lot more.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What did you think of the XC90, and how did the twin charged 4 cylinder feel?
Loved the XC90! Perhaps my second favorite SUV I've driven, first being the full Range Rover. Nicer inside than the $100k Range Rover! Rode great, and despite the big 21s this had the air suspension and it rode really well. Too small for us though, perhaps when we go to trade whatever we get next.

Volvo right next door to Honda? You must have been in downtown Fairfax, in that row of Brown and Rosenthal Dealerships, right at the Route 50/29 split........including Nissan and VW. I know that dealer-strip well (small dealerships, and, with dense traffic, not the best place in the world for test-drives, but OK...I've seen lots worse).
Yep, the very same. They actually had a pretty good test loop that avoided most of the traffic.

Next time you're out there (if you are anytime soon) stop at La Dolce Vita, a quaint little Italian place right around the corner from that dealer-strip, on the north side Route 50. You'll get an excellent Italian lunch there.....one of the best for the money.
Thats actually a great tip, I will be out there next week for another settlement and the lender and I are planning on grabbing dinner after, we might just try that out.
Old 05-23-17, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thats actually a great tip, I will be out there next week for another settlement and the lender and I are planning on grabbing dinner after, we might just try that out.
It's a relatively small parking-lot, though, and can be crowded from 12 to 1. It's about a 1/3 of a mile walk from the Honda/Volvo shop, if you want to leave your car there, but it can get pretty warm and muggy this time of year for mid-day walking. Dinner prices are usually higher than lunch.

Here's the website:

http://www.dolcevitaitaliankitchenandwinebar.com

Quick Reply: Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...