Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Bit did not edit my post, he quoted my post and then edited the quote as a gag lol

I think it depends on context. Bit and I are buddies he can edit my posts to say whatever he wants lol
Old 05-17-17, 08:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Agreed, editing a quote is just a way to play around on the forum.

Full on editing of posts are generally only used when there is some inappropriate content or something that will drive the thread pic way off topic
Old 05-17-17, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We recently moved our daughter out of her car seat and into a booster seat. Let me tell you, it's like being let out of prison! It's no longer denting my seats and when we have extra guests in the Highlander, we can easily just pop her booster into the 3rd row and free up a 2nd row captain's chair. Our son is still in a convertible (he's 2.5) and when we are completely free of those big seats, we'll have a party!

A minivan is a great choice to handle those larger seats until you get to boosters. Glad the Sedona has worked out so well for you. I am becoming quite the fan of Hyundai/Kia products. I really dislike the new Odyssey and the Sienna is overdue for an update, so if I were to get a minivan now, I would choose either a Sedona or a Pacifica.

Hope it all works out for you soon.
Old 05-17-17, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, you gotta remember many of us have been posting here for years and years. We get pretty chummy with each other lol
Old 05-17-17, 09:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed, editing a quote is just a way to play around on the forum.

Full on editing of posts are generally only used when there is some inappropriate content or something that will drive the thread pic way off topic
All right, I got y'all, it's all kidding.....on that post of mine that got edited, I had made some jokes about the President and " the end parts of a person's arm beyond the wrist, including the palm, fingers, and thumb"......I didn't think it was a big deal...
Old 05-17-17, 10:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve, I know the 2nd row seat removal in the SX-L isn't exactly standard procedure (I believe it requires taking out bolts and leaves some of the track in place), but have you ever considered taking out the passenger side 2nd row seat? My friends with 2 kids tend to put them in a "bobsled" configuration, one in front of another, 2nd row behind the driver and then one in the 3rd row. this could help with access to the 3rd row while still maintaining car seats. I know this puts one kid beyond arm's reach of the driver....
Old 05-17-17, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would consider that, but my wife ain't gonna go for it lol
Old 05-18-17, 07:39 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

With new-car incentives only increasing, plus the fact the Pacifica (as is the Sedona) are fleet-type vehicles, safe to assume that in 9 months (When the 2018's roll out) there will be a flood of 12-18 month 2017 ex-rental Pacifica's flooding the market which may prompt a more drastic price cut for the Pacifica's. Disappointing the Sienna isn't going for a refresh (as is the Sequioa....or the Tundra...) but really curious to check out the new Odyssey. Unfortunately in the Dallas-area, Honda dealers gouged customers when the new Pilot/Ridgeline came out (up to $8k above MSRP!) and I suspect they may do the same for the Odyssey.
Old 05-18-17, 04:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

whoa... i'm back

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Is that in fun, like an inside joke on this thread, or it's totally allowed on Club Lexus?
as SW15LS pointed out, i did not edit his original post (and wouldn't unless it was way out of line rule violation) - i just posted a slightly edited quote of his, changing 4 to 14 with my change in bold, with the text "fixed that for you " under it, indicating it was a joke.

for the record, his original post part:
Originally Posted by SW15LS
One day about 4 years from now I can see a day when I can have two vehicles I love again...
Old 05-18-17, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People just have no sense of humor, I got it! LOL
Old 05-18-17, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bringing it back to the Pacifica, so the story about how the guy tried to talk me into this terrible trade deal lol.

So, I have driven them a couple times. We got my mom to watch the kids and my wife and I went out so she could drive it. She did, and she liked it so I told the salesman the numbers on the Sedona, gave him the VIN, told him that I had an e-offer in hand on the Pacifica from another dealer, gave him that. Told him if I was in any way upside down on the Sedona I would just wait. Not interested in rolling over any negative equity since the Sedona is fine, has good tires and brakes, way under mileage and we would happily drive it through the lease and then come see him if that made the most sense.

I had done the numbers, so at that deal, the lease payment at a retail MF should be somewhere around $540 a month.

So a couple days later, he calls me...."Steve...I have great news"

Salesman: I can match that dealers price on the Pacifica, (like $41k on a $49,600 Pacifica), and I can give you $24,000 for the Sedona (payoff is $28,000). Your lease payment would only be $880 a month (thats honestly what he said, "only".

Me: Thanks for that, but like I told you I'm not interested in rolling over any negative equity from the Sedona, we'll just wait until we get closer to the end of the lease.

Salesman: You do understand that $24,000 figure on your trade is just going to go down right? It will never be worth more than it is right now!

Me: Sure, but I also understand that my Sedona is a lease, and every month the payoff is going to go down by the full payment, and at the end of the lease I can just give it back and owe nothing. Why would I take a $4,000 loss today to get out of a van thats fine and under mileage when I can wait 10 months and owe nothing?

Salesman: Can you put any money down?

Me: Sure. I'm not going to though. I could write you a check for the Pacifica right now but I'm not interested in doing that.

Salesman: Do we need all of this equipment on the Pacifica, would you be satisfied with one less heavily equipped?

Me: This Pacifica has everything we want. Again, why would we pay more today to lease a van that doesn't have everything we want, or everything our current van has, when in 10 months we can turn the Sedona in and lease the Pacifica how we want? I can pay $880 a month, doing so would just be insane.

Salesman: How about the tow hitch, do you need the tow hitch?

Me: Buddy, I don't think a $500 tow hitch is going to overcome the $350 a month we're apart here. Call me in 6 months and lets see where we are.

Too funny. I'm a salesman, I appreciate the attempts to make it work but sometimes you gotta have the courage to say to the customer "this just doesn't make sense right now" lol
Old 05-18-17, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Salesman: I can match that dealers price on the Pacifica, (like $41k on a $49,600 Pacifica), and I can give you $24,000 for the Sedona (payoff is $28,000). Your lease payment would only be $880 a month (thats honestly what he said, "only".
Well, from this story you just told us, it sounds like you ran into some of the classic problems that a lot of people who decide that they want to terminate a lease early do........and we've had a number of threads here in Car Chat on just that very subject.

It's up to you and your wife, of course, but, based on the criteria you stated in the opening post, since you only have 10 months to go, I'd consider holding off and finishing the Sedona lease (since you know that, because of the second/third-row seat issues, you're not going to take the buyout option). That way, it will be a whole lot simpler...and probably less expensive. You seem to dislike only two things on the Sedona...the lazy transmission (obviously, minivans aren't going to shift like sports-sedans) and the way the rear seats are designed. You mentioned problems getting your Mom in and out with the kids. Mother's Day only comes once a year, and your lease will be up sooner than that....you'll have a new vehicle by next May. If you want to take her out to dinner before then (and, heck, she's your Mom.....why not) .....just have her get in before the kids are strapped in with their seats. That way, you can keep the Sedona, avoid all (or most of) these problems.....and, I agree with you, $880 a month is a lot, even on an early lease-termination. You'll also have some more time to do test-drives, static-reviews, and decide once and for all if you want to go with a Pacifica, Odyssey, Sienna, or even a new Sedona.....I understand that some changes may be coming to the Sedona within the next year, though it is unclear (?) if Kia is going to address those issues you mention with the seats and transmission. Buick, of course, will also unveil that nice Regal 5-door Wagon this fall (I'll probably do a review), though it won't have the same interior room a minivan would.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-17 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 06:59 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

$880/month....
Old 05-18-17, 07:22 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
$880/month....
No kidding, that was my mortgage until last year when I refinanced down to 15 years. Also not too far off from the current lease promo on a $92k BMW 740e.
Old 05-18-17, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
No kidding, that was my mortgage until last year when I refinanced down to 15 years. Also not too far off from the current lease promo on a $92k BMW 740e.
BMW, though, because of low-depreciation and high-residual other products, has a long history of attractive lease-deals. $880 may sound like a lot (and, yes, it IS a lot for a Sedona LOL).....but it's not out of the ballpark when you are talking about a classic Tier-1 luxury sedan that runs almost 100K. Before a lot of them switched to expensive SUVs like the Escalade, Navigator, and Range-Rover, the BMW 7-series was popular wth NBA and NFL athletes that made millions every year.

Quick Reply: Went to trade the Sedona on a new Pacifica...