Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why can't Lexus make a cheap LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 05:13 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
They tried with the original LFA, but failed. When it was first announced, it was said to be priced in the low $100's. As each quarter slipped by, the price rose another $25-50k, and so on. By the time it was released, all hell had broken loose. Then, they only produce a tiny tiny amount and close the doors. Double kick in the butt. At least the similar Audi R8 story landed closer to original promises.

I always look back at the LFA story as a brilliant machine that boosted a brand, but shafted the public. Stuff like that chaps my hide, but whatever.
Just to be clear - by "it was said to be priced", what you mean is 'the media speculated the price to be'. Go read the 2007-ish news reports on the LFA (or shall we say, "LF-A") when the early concept rumors came out - Toyota didn't promise us anything. It was all just a lot of speculation. At the time, media estimated the base price at around $150,000, probably because at the time the LFA was supposed to use an aluminum chassis. Media also speculated it would be a V8, since media assumed Lexus would use something based on the new (at the time) RVX06/07 V8 engine Toyota was using in F1, which probably also lowered the price estimates. Sure, maybe TMC would have produced a spectacular V8 that also would have won EVO's Engine of the Year award, but even leaving the V10 vs V8 out of consideration, it doesn't make much sense to compare the estimated price of an aluminum chassis car to that of a CF car.

The reality is that Toyota decided to scrap the original aluminum LFA design, completely re-engineer it in CF, bring it to fruition, and sell it to customers (which, you know, is the public) despite the fact that Toyota knew they could not possibly turn a profit on the vehicle. That's "shafting the public"? In this day and age where everyone seems to be railing on big companies for "corporate greed", Toyota made a product the best way they knew how and lost money selling it to customers, and that's "shafting the public"? I've really heard it all now. How can any corporation possibly win with this type of vitriol and demonization?

I've been very critical of TMC in the past couple years, but how they've really "shafted the public" is by not continuing on with development of driver-focused, enthusiast-oriented vehicles. TMC teased us with the FT-86 but then absolutely nothing (especially with recent rumors that the FT-1/Z5 may not come out until 2019 if it does at all). If you want to get on Toyota about "shafting the public", that's what you should be focusing your ire on. But certainly not for making a well-engineered product and selling it to customers at a loss.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Toyota really didn't have any idea on how to make an exotic, carbon fiber super car, they had never done it before. They had the raw engineering talent and corporate will to give us something awesome, the LFA, but once again it was beset by a bunch of delays and cost over-runs. Toyota really had no idea on how to make the LFA cost effective to where they could ramp up production and make money on it. I doubt Toyota is willing to go down the exotic car rabbit-hole again, considering how much $$$ they lost on the LFA.
As I mention above, Toyota had no intention of making the LFA "cost effective" - they knew they were going to lose money bringing the car to market. If they wanted to make it "cost effective" they would never have gone CF. It was Akio Toyoda's pet project, intended as a demonstration of TMC's capabilities, and only possible in a megacorp with lots of cash flow.
Old 05-13-17, 12:03 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The funny thing is, all the people who complain about about stuff like "it weights 4000lbs blah blah blah" are the same people that probably never have stepped foot on the track with their M3 or whatever "race" car they think they own.

I know a few guys with the new M3 and M4 and they all sht about how heavy and sloppy those cars are on the track as well. Let's just say those cars are long gone and traded for either a Z06 or GT4.

Do you take your M3 family sedan to the track? Why not buy something lighter, half the size, with 3 pedals and actually enjoy the experience? How about a track built S2000 or a Miata? That's a hell lot more fun and cheaper to use on the track and will run circles around all these stock "super sedans". I don't consider this class of cars true track cars because they are not and the second you get on the track you will realize that when a Miata with half the power blows past you.
Yes, I plan on tracking and I've already registered for the 2 day M School. If I wanted to dominate on the track, however, you are right, the Z06 and GT4 would be much better, but that's not why I bought it. I preferred a 4 door sedan that I could also have fun in, but a nice coupe wasn't out of the question. I also wanted something stylish, but not boy-racer. The Z06 despite it's numbers, don't do anything for me, and the GT4 was practically impossible to by at the time, you couldn't find any! I also considered the RC-F, Audi S4, Cadillac CTS-V, and a Mercedes C63 AMG. The RC-F, like I said, wasn't worth the 2 door trade-off being so heavy and underperforming. The C63 styling wasn't to my liking, and the Audi S4 was too slow. The Cadillac CTS-V didn't connect with me emotionally. I just couldn't see myself driving one. The M3 seemed to check most of the boxes and I was in love with the aesthetics and power.

Having said all that, and knowing that it isn't the fastest on the track, that doesn't mean you can't have fun on the track with it. No, I don't plan on outrunning Corvettes and out handling Miatas, but that's not the objective. The objective is to have fun and still have a nice daily driver. Lets not forget about the fact that it is, in fact, a "class" of car on the track. Just like there are different classes in professional motorsports, be it F1, kart, FE, Indy, nascar, Rally, GT1, GT2, GT3, Trucks, Motorcycles etc etc, lots of different types of vehicles for different types of races. You can race a shopping car against a shopping cart and it's still a race. In this class, I find the RC-F to be an underperformer compared to it's competitors.
Old 05-13-17, 01:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Yes, I plan on tracking and I've already registered for the 2 day M School. If I wanted to dominate on the track, however, you are right, the Z06 and GT4 would be much better, but that's not why I bought it. I preferred a 4 door sedan that I could also have fun in, but a nice coupe wasn't out of the question. I also wanted something stylish, but not boy-racer. The Z06 despite it's numbers, don't do anything for me, and the GT4 was practically impossible to by at the time, you couldn't find any! I also considered the RC-F, Audi S4, Cadillac CTS-V, and a Mercedes C63 AMG. The RC-F, like I said, wasn't worth the 2 door trade-off being so heavy and underperforming. The C63 styling wasn't to my liking, and the Audi S4 was too slow. The Cadillac CTS-V didn't connect with me emotionally. I just couldn't see myself driving one. The M3 seemed to check most of the boxes and I was in love with the aesthetics and power.

Having said all that, and knowing that it isn't the fastest on the track, that doesn't mean you can't have fun on the track with it. No, I don't plan on outrunning Corvettes and out handling Miatas, but that's not the objective. The objective is to have fun and still have a nice daily driver. Lets not forget about the fact that it is, in fact, a "class" of car on the track. Just like there are different classes in professional motorsports, be it F1, kart, FE, Indy, nascar, Rally, GT1, GT2, GT3, Trucks, Motorcycles etc etc, lots of different types of vehicles for different types of races. You can race a shopping car against a shopping cart and it's still a race. In this class, I find the RC-F to be an underperformer compared to it's competitors.
The RCF isn't as good but you can get them for way cheaper now. The discounts were insane. It's about the same price as a fully loaded 340

I would buy one in the $60k range but not the $80k range.
Old 05-13-17, 02:14 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by EZZ
The RCF isn't as good but you can get them for way cheaper now. The discounts were insane. It's about the same price as a fully loaded 340

I would buy one in the $60k range but not the $80k range.
I was about to ask if you were talking about the RC-F or the GS-F, then checked the Lexus website and realized a fully-packaged (not even fully-loaded) RC-F is $77.5k. All this time I just assumed the RC-F was discount-priced to the M4... it's not.

Crazy to think I got my 2008 IS-F for $60k OTD.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The funny thing is, all the people who complain about about stuff like "it weights 4000lbs blah blah blah" are the same people that probably never have stepped foot on the track with their M3 or whatever "race" car they think they own.
To be fair, I think most of the people on this forum complaining about the RC-F weight are wondering why it weighs so much more than the old IS-F.

I consider luxury performance cars like the M3 and IS-F to be compromise cars - I don't think anyone really thinks they are track beasts. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for buyers to want as little compromise as possible even when they know they are buying a compromise car.

Last edited by gengar; 05-13-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 02:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I was about to ask if you were talking about the RC-F or the GS-F, then checked the Lexus website and realized a fully-packaged (not even fully-loaded) RC-F is $77.5k. All this time I just assumed the RC-F was discount-priced to the M4... it's not.

Crazy to think I got my 2008 IS-F for $60k OTD.
True most RC F's are packaged at about the $76-77K mark. Highest one I've ever seen was an Infared one at $82,073. Of course that's just the MRSP, and there are plenty of members and non members that have gotten an RC F for mid/high sixties OTD because of incentives and dealers trying to move the units. So it's probably similar to your purchase nearly a decade ago when you account for inflation.
Old 05-13-17, 09:13 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I consider luxury performance cars like the M3 and IS-F to be compromise cars - I don't think anyone really thinks they are track beasts. But I also don't think it's unreasonable for buyers to want as little compromise as possible even when they know they are buying a compromise car.
I agree. Additionally, we all have a level of compromise in which we are comfortable with. Some of us still want that daily drivability, 4 doors, interior space, weight, power, etc etc.
Old 05-14-17, 04:48 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be clear - by "it was said to be priced", what you mean is 'the media speculated the price to be'. Go read the 2007-ish news reports on the LFA (or shall we say, "LF-A") when the early concept rumors came out - Toyota didn't promise us anything. It was all just a lot of speculation. At the time, media estimated the base price at around $150,000, probably because at the time the LFA was supposed to use an aluminum chassis. Media also speculated it would be a V8, since media assumed Lexus would use something based on the new (at the time) RVX06/07 V8 engine Toyota was using in F1, which probably also lowered the price estimates. Sure, maybe TMC would have produced a spectacular V8 that also would have won EVO's Engine of the Year award, but even leaving the V10 vs V8 out of consideration, it doesn't make much sense to compare the estimated price of an aluminum chassis car to that of a CF car.

I've been very critical of TMC in the past couple years, but how they've really "shafted the public" is by not continuing on with development of driver-focused, enthusiast-oriented vehicles. TMC teased us with the FT-86 but then absolutely nothing (especially with recent rumors that the FT-1/Z5 may not come out until 2019 if it does at all). If you want to get on Toyota about "shafting the public", that's what you should be focusing your ire on. But certainly not for making a well-engineered product and selling it to customers at a loss.As I mention above, Toyota had no intention of making the LFA "cost effective" - they knew they were going to lose money bringing the car to market. If they wanted to make it "cost effective" they would never have gone CF. It was Akio Toyoda's pet project, intended as a demonstration of TMC's capabilities, and only possible in a megacorp with lots of cash flow.
I thought Yamaha built the LFA V10, or am I mistaken?
Old 05-14-17, 06:54 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, Yamaha built the LFA V10 for Lexus.

I believe the motor alone costs more than a complete RC-F.

This thread is a mess.

You can't expect Lexus to build a cheapo toned down LFA for RC-F money.
Old 05-14-17, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Yes, Yamaha built the LFA V10 for Lexus.

I believe the motor alone costs more than a complete RC-F.

This thread is a mess.

You can't expect Lexus to build a cheapo toned down LFA for RC-F money.
that's why i said in my first reply that this thread simply doesn't make any sense. might as well look for a kit car
Old 05-15-17, 05:08 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
that's why i said in my first reply that this thread simply doesn't make any sense. might as well look for a kit car
Agreed. R&D and ability to manufacture a super car when you don't do super cars for a living. Also, it does little as a halo car if they make it inferior to save money.
Old 05-15-17, 09:36 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80

Dead on right on all points. Also, the track performance depends on what track for what car. M3/M4 does not excel in every track and the fact is: no cars can perform excellently in ALL kinds of track. Go ahead, put Miata on Nurburgring against, say, a Z06, and see how badly it performs. Why? Because Miata is a FR compact roadster that's designed for extreme agility and handling, not top-speed chasing super saloons/coupes. (Disagreeing with the guy you're quoting)

Always irks me when people say "oh my god my gutted Civic type R can beat Ferrari 360 on track" K.
Old 05-16-17, 10:33 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by e325rkh
I thought Yamaha built the LFA V10, or am I mistaken?
Yes, but co-designed/developed by Toyota and Yamaha, just like the F1 engines.
Old 05-17-17, 06:52 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

The LCF will have LFA performance, if not better, even though it'll for sure weigh more. Mark my words and come back and visit this thread in 2020☺️. And it'll cost less than the LFA ($150k range) and be easier to get your hands on... everything the OP wanted correct?!? So OP, make sure you put your order in for what since it'll be pretty much what!

V.
Old 05-17-17, 09:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
The LCF will have LFA performance, if not better, even though it'll for sure weigh more. Mark my words and come back and visit this thread in 2020☺️. And it'll cost less than the LFA ($150k range) and be easier to get your hands on... everything the OP wanted correct?!? So OP, make sure you put your order in for what since it'll be pretty much what!

V.
I think the issue is that for $150k, you could get a 911 turbo S and completely annihilate anything that Lexus could come up with. In fact, a $100k 911 Carrera S may be all thats needed. LFA performance wasn't that special even for its time. A $90k GTR was of comparable performance.
Old 05-17-17, 09:51 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Where would one find a new Turbo S for $150K?

the OP started this flunked out of high school thread asking for a $65K version of the LFA

the LCF will in no way cover that request

Quick Reply: Why can't Lexus make a cheap LFA?