Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota president feels 'sense of crisis' as profits tumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And again, they may be still paying out settlements.
Toyota would have accrued an estimate and expensed that waaay back when. Whatever payment is against the accrual and only affects cash flow. If the payments are more than what they estimated and it is material, they will have to disclose it in their financial statements, which they did not.
Old 05-11-17, 07:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You don't understand what the article is talking about. Sales are not poor, sales aren't down. Profitability is down. In fact, sales are up and revenue is up. PROFIT is down.

Just because one company sells more products doesn't at all mean they are more profitable. It's very possible for a company to sell far more product than a competitor and yet be far less profitable.

As for any unintended acceleration settlements, I agree this is a non issue. Thinking it is shows a lack of understanding about the scale of what we're talking about here. Those settlements were like you and me paying a $50 parking ticket, it has no impact on our bottom line.
Sales are up and money received from sales (revenue) is up, but the net profit, calculated by subtracting money spent (investments for TNGA, expenses due to incentives, etc.) from money received is down.

If profit is down despite increased sales, it may be a sign that the automaker cannot make money on the products it sells. That is in part what led GM into bankruptcy; it cost more to build its cars than what they were sold for.
Old 05-11-17, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

GM had a whole lot of expenses that Toyota doesn't have. What bankrupt GM was their unsustainable retirement obligations.
Old 05-11-17, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As for any unintended acceleration settlements, I agree this is a non issue. Thinking it is shows a lack of understanding about the scale of what we're talking about here. Those settlements were like you and me paying a $50 parking ticket, it has no impact on our bottom line.
I have to disagree that it is totally a non-issue. First, while it is true that Toyota is a huge company, with very deep pockets (and can withstand a lot of expenses), we don't know yet what all of the settlements will be....cases like this are notoriously slow (including appeals) getting through courts. Second, Toyota is not only dealing with unintended-acceleration cases, but also a large class-action suit involving the rigidity and corrosion resistance of their truck-frames.
Old 05-11-17, 10:54 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evident
aging platforms and obsolete engines that should have all been refreshed 3 years ago.
Meh this doesn't matter one bit to anybody buying cars from mainstream brands.
Old 05-11-17, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have to disagree that it is totally a non-issue. First, while it is true that Toyota is a huge company, with very deep pockets (and can withstand a lot of expenses), we don't know yet what all of the settlements will be....cases like this are notoriously slow (including appeals) getting through courts. Second, Toyota is not only dealing with unintended-acceleration cases, but also a large class-action suit involving the rigidity and corrosion resistance of their truck-frames.
With respect, you don't really understand the financial realities we're dealing with. Class action suits and settlements are a cost of doing business with these companies, it does not impact their profitability except in extreme situations. This is simply not the issue here.
Old 05-11-17, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

With respect, you don't really understand the financial realities we're dealing with. Class action suits and settlements are a cost of doing business with these companies, it does not impact their profitability except in extreme situations. This is simply not the issue here.
Also depending on the amount of liability insurance the company has, and if that insurance covers the settlement or not. In the VW diesel-scandal case, for example (though I understand that is a separate issue from the Toyota cases, and may not be comparable), their liability insurance many not cover all of the settlements, given that some criminal conduct on the part of VW management may have been done. Liability insurance, as I understand it, usually only covers civil actions.
Old 05-11-17, 11:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It truly is like you or me having a speeding ticket. Or paying a $1000 fine. It sucks, we'd rather not, but it doesn't hurt us.
Old 05-11-17, 12:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm not a fan of the spindle grill either, but as noted in the article, unit sales were actually up year-over-year.
Unit sales can be up but Toyota and Lexus rebates/incentives have been at all time highs the past few years to move that inventory. Fleet sales are also increasing.

Toyota needs to read up on GM and not follow its mistakes.

Scion was a huge failure and so are the hybrids especially with the low gas prices.
Add increased competition from new players - all add up to smaller profits.

This may not be easy for them to turnaround.
They need innovation ASAP and quality to return back to their products.
Besides reliability, they really offer nothing over their rivals - and that competitive advantage is decreasing each year.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-11-17 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 12:46 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Toyota would have accrued an estimate and expensed that waaay back when. Whatever payment is against the accrual and only affects cash flow. If the payments are more than what they estimated and it is material, they will have to disclose it in their financial statements, which they did not.
Old 05-11-17, 12:54 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Unit sales can be up but Toyota and Lexus rebates/incentives have been at all time highs the past few years to move that inventory. Fleet sales are also increasing.

Toyota needs to read up on GM and not follow its mistakes.

Scion was a huge failure and so are the hybrids especially with the low gas prices.
Wait, what? TMC hybrid sales were up 16% in 2016! The bottom line is that Japanese manufacturers cannot ignore hybrids when they are so popular in Japan. Even in the US, hybrids made up 10% of TMC sales, with an utterly dominant 65% market share.

I don't disagree with your conclusion that Toyota needs to innovate (I just criticized TMC in another thread here for that) - but some of the narrative here doesn't at all match reality.
Old 05-11-17, 01:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

My point with hybrids is that Toyota made a very significant bet on them but they never really took off.
I may be wrong but i doubt they have realized their projected return on the original Hybrid investment hence their hesitation to develop full EV cars.

Also hybrid sales in US are heavily driven by subsidies both from government and manufacturer.
In Japan, foreign brands cant compete on equal playing field and Toyota runs the place since they are by far the largest Japanese auto company.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-11-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just to be clear, there are no federal subsidies in the US for hybrids any longer. Plug in hybrids get some but not regular hybrids.
Old 05-11-17, 01:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Just to be clear, there are no federal subsidies in the US for hybrids any longer. Plug in hybrids get some but not regular hybrids.
Correct plug in hybrids and EVs still get federal subsidies up to $7,500.
Old 05-11-17, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Correct plug in hybrids and EVs still get federal subsidies up to $7,500.
But only one Toyota hybrid qualifies for that subsidy, the Prius Prime. None of the other Toyota Hybrids or the Lexus hybrids do, so their sales are not driven by subsidies. Plug in hybrid subsidies are way lower than that too, the $7,500 is really for an EV.

Quick Reply: Toyota president feels 'sense of crisis' as profits tumble