Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Silently Stopped Building the 6-Series Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default BMW Silently Stopped Building the 6-Series Coupe

Here's something that totally flew under our radar–BMW has stopped building the 6-Series coupe. You can still get a 2018 6-Series Gran Coupe and convertible, but quietly, the classic two-door hardtop has disappeared from the lineup. The 6er Coupe isn't quite dead, however, since you can still find a new one for sale.

A BMW spokesperson confirmed to Road & Track that the 6-Series coupe silently went out of production in February. Currently, it's unclear if BMW has any intention of bringing the 6-Series Coupe back.

Last year, we reported that BMW plans on killing off the 6-Series lineup in favor of a new revival of the 8-Series nameplate. Since then, camouflaged 8-Series test mules in both coupe and convertible bodystyles have been spied during cold-weather testing. Interestingly, there's a rumor that the 6-Series name could live on for a successor to the outgoing 5-Series GT hatchback.

BMW doesn't report the sales percentage for each 6-Series, but generally speaking, there's not much of a market for pure coupes anymore. That's why BMW and its German rivals, Audi and Mercedes-Benz, are so keen on offering four-door "coupes."

We hope the 6-Series coupe will make a comeback, but we're not too optimistic about its prospects. Hopefully the 8-Series will fill the void.​​​​
Source
Old 05-09-17, 02:45 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The 8 series wouldn't sell well either if its priced silimar or worse, higher than the 6
Old 05-09-17, 02:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The current 4 series is so huge and bloated, it makes the 6 series almost redundant.
Old 05-09-17, 02:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The current 4 series is so huge and bloated, it makes the 6 series almost redundant.
yeah always thought the 6 coupe was a whale - M6 looks nice but no way in hell I'd keep it if someone gave one to me.
Old 05-09-17, 11:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I love large coupe, and M6 was on my shopping list. But if I were to get one I prob would go for a gran coupe anyway since the added doors would make my family get in and out with ease. But can't deny the 6 is a gorgeous coupe, and one of the best looking on the market.
Old 05-10-17, 07:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Preview of the LC's fate a few yrs down the road?
Old 05-10-17, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I just realized I have never driven one, and I have driven a 740, 745, 750, and Alpina B7. I even signed my name on a 6 convertible as part of the Susan Komen program. Interesting, I always wondered how come still soft top on that car....always liked its looks...
Old 05-10-17, 08:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I drove the last gen a few years ago at a BMW event and I really liked it. Wouldn't buy one given the other options at that price point, but it drove well for a boat
Old 05-10-17, 12:06 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not surprising given what is rumored to be the 8 series. This goes in line with the 3 and 4 series. 3 series is a mid sized sport sedan, 4 series is a mid sized sports coupe. The 6 series GC will turn into the defacto 6 series, and the 8 will be the coupe version.
Old 05-10-17, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Preview of the LC's fate a few yrs down the road?
I was thinking that for the whole day. BMW cancels their production of the 6 series coupe and her come Lexus with their large V8 coupe. I wonder if BMW just figures most people would just go for the convertible anyways. With that said, I doubt the new LC is going to have any trouble moving any of them, from what I saw at the auto show, it is going to be a huge hit.
Old 05-10-17, 12:57 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was thinking that for the whole day. BMW cancels their production of the 6 series coupe and her come Lexus with their large V8 coupe. I wonder if BMW just figures most people would just go for the convertible anyways. With that said, I doubt the new LC is going to have any trouble moving any of them, from what I saw at the auto show, it is going to be a huge hit.

The LC's biggest obstacle is the price tag. Like it or not, the whole "would you spend $100k on a Lexus" argument will be brought up. It would be a HUGE hit at $80k base. At $100k loaded, however, you might find people flocking to the marquee brands.
Old 05-10-17, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
The LC's biggest obstacle is the price tag. Like it or not, the whole "would you spend $100k on a Lexus" argument will be brought up. It would be a HUGE hit at $80k base. At $100k loaded, however, you might find people flocking to the marquee brands.

And this is where I will disagree with you. It will sell for the $100k. There might be an argument that the next gen LS won't, but the LC absolutely will. I have see it in person, sat in it, started it but we were not allowed to drive it at a dealer earlier in the year. This is the best Lexus interior. Best looking modern Lexus. It will absolutely work.
Old 05-10-17, 02:08 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And this is where I will disagree with you. It will sell for the $100k. There might be an argument that the next gen LS won't, but the LC absolutely will. I have see it in person, sat in it, started it but we were not allowed to drive it at a dealer earlier in the year. This is the best Lexus interior. Best looking modern Lexus. It will absolutely work.
I've seen it in person as well. Personally, I wouldn't buy one for $100k. I don't think my opinion will be unique either.
Old 05-10-17, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
It would be a HUGE hit at $80k base. At $100k loaded, however, you might find people flocking to the marquee brands.
Depends on how you define "huge". The average Car-Buyer-Joe doesn't have 80K to plunk down on a new vehicle.
Old 05-10-17, 05:32 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on how you define "huge". The average Car-Buyer-Joe doesn't have 80K to plunk down on a new vehicle.
"huge" compared to all the other cars in the $80k range. I think it's more competitive at that range.

Quick Reply: BMW Silently Stopped Building the 6-Series Coupe