Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

They don't want us to say but I'll say it

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 09:20 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
This is boring for a supercar
The key above is actually just perfect for a supercar, considering so many keys are made these days to be little transponders that you keep within a certain proximity of the vehicle's cabin and not actual physical keys (unless they have switchblades or emergency wallet keys). An all metal design with or without coatings would be even better.

If anything I much prefer the Lexus keys from twenty years ago over the current designs. I overwhelmingly prefer using a physical key in an ignition lock tumbler. Now if the key handle is made of incredibly cheap plastic that breaks very easily or has a cheap glued on emblem that falls off... then I would definitely consider that bad for a Lexus or any very high end car. Metal casings always win. I have yet to see a "boring" Lexus key no matter its generation though.

It's much more noticeable is when the vehicle itself or its driving experience is boring (or not for some models).

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-30-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i would rather have the lexus fob than the one from the 7 series which is pretty pointless imho
They got to you didn't they
Old 04-30-17, 11:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want a slim card type key that I can slip in my pocket, meanwhile have some heft for solidness and remind me it's there, then I'm golden. I'm so used to keyless now that I don't want to bother to actual take out the key to drive, or do anything else.
Old 05-01-17, 01:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I say Lexus has come a long way from "ye olden days" of my Cadillac keys, oval to open, square to start, gold plated of course.

They looked cool, but even in the 80's/90's, Jaguar, Benz, BMW, Lexus had better keys that were double sided, door and igintion key were one, a lot of them had the remote unlock/lock/trunk popper integrated in the key.
Old 05-01-17, 05:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Well I say Lexus has come a long way from "ye olden days" of my Cadillac keys, oval to open, square to start, gold plated of course.

They looked cool, but even in the 80's/90's, Jaguar, Benz, BMW, Lexus had better keys that were double sided, door and igintion key were one, a lot of them had the remote unlock/lock/trunk popper integrated in the key.
The gold keys were one set, you also got a set where the ignition key was black plastic at the head and regular metal for the key and the door key. You got one set of each.
Old 05-01-17, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This thread made me think of that film, "American Psycho." Remember the scene where everyone whipped out their business cards, to see which was better? Call me old fashioned, but those business cards printed online for 3 cents or by your in house doc center, are cheesy, when you present them to clients. Still should have raised letters!

But as far as a key fob, I have a 2006 LS430--two master keys and the valet is missing. The one I use has duct tape keeping the cover in place as it broke along with the spring mechanism that keeps the key extended (upon changing the battery)....the one that isn't broken, I keep in the house just in case.

Is it prestigious, if you can backup your car with your fob?
Old 05-01-17, 07:23 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

BTW, the newer, squarer (sp?) fob (pictured in this thread) can be disabled by
pressing and holding the lock button and while still holding that, press the
unlock button twice. Watch for the red light to flash four (4) times. Now the
fob is inert and you can slip the mechanical key blade out and hide the fob
under a floor mat while you jog, bike, kayak or swim. Why take a heavy, $300
and not waterproof fob along with you? When you return to the car just use
the blade in the (some models covered) driver's door lock cylinder. Press any
button on the fob to reactivate it and you're off!
Old 05-01-17, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Metal casings always win.
Yep....couldn't agree more. GM uses metal-casings for their fobs. I've screwed up at least twice, and either jumped into the pool with it still in my shorts pocket or ran it through the wash machine...both times, even in the chlorine-water of the pool, it came out just like new, and still operates that way today, even though it's five years old.
Old 05-01-17, 07:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Funny, got 2 with the 1998 Maxima, replaced the 2025 coin cell once in 19 years, and one went through the wash without issue. imho it can't be that hard to build a fob that lasts, unless one says the Maxima one is very simple. Lock, unlock, pop trunk, panic, and puts the windows down if open is held....the LS is 8 years newer, the car cost 3X as much new, and the fob is already physically broken just from attempting to replace the 2032 lol
Old 05-01-17, 07:59 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The concept of trolling eludes most in here, but don't let that distract you from the fact that Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting. (If they lived in the same place).
Old 05-01-17, 08:00 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2010RX450h has a keyless start/stop setup, and I think the fob is a very attractive design.

My only gripe is that I carry it in the same pocket as my black plastic comb, and it keeps breaking off the comb's teeth, one every couple of days. Just do the math and you realize that this is an unnecessary cost of ownership--I've had to buy a 4-pack of combs in order to keep some as spares. At $2.50 a pack, this is outrageous and obviously this makes Lexus an inferior brand.

Harrumph.
Old 05-01-17, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mk416
The concept of trolling eludes most in here, but don't let that distract you from the fact that Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting. (If they lived in the same place).
It doesn't elude us, we just have fun poking at the trolls
Old 05-01-17, 11:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

those s*** b*******!! I thought they were vegetarians, not psycho bird eating beasts!
Old 05-01-17, 11:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Touché! Polar bears live near the north pole where there are no penguins and penguins live near the south pole where there are no polar bears.
Old 05-01-17, 12:25 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
those s*** b*******!! I thought they were vegetarians, not psycho bird eating beasts!
The marketers at Coca-Cola have been misleading consumers for years by making everyone think that polar bears and penguins live in harmony (and sharing bottles of coke with one another). #fakenews

Quick Reply: They don't want us to say but I'll say it