Ordered my new car today. - Page 5 - Club Lexus Forums

Ordered my new car today.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #61
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
Do you like Buick as a car co.? My dad does, his first car was one.
Yeah, same with my dad.....a 1941 Buick. I liked the Buicks of the 1960s (had a used '65 Electra and a used '65 Skylark while in college) and the recent Opel-based Buicks following the GM buyout in 2009. Buick quality, though, tanked after the early-mid 70s, and IMO they built junk for some 30 years during the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.

Quote:
And now, it seems like he's come full circle with a Encore (got a super deal, apparently the dealers are getting marketing dollars to choose what car they want to move, listed for almost 38k, sold for 30k, and he even got them to remove all the dealer add ons and take off their conveyance fee and he said he wanted to do the tags himself so they took that off).
Encores are going like free beer during Happy Hour. Buick shops can't keep them in stock. The Encore's popularity is the main reason the Verano sedan is being dropped in the U.S. market....to free up factory/plant space for more Encore production.

Quote:
I personally like the Roadmaster Wagon with the LT1 motor. What a sweet true dual stainless steel exhaust that car has. What I liked about it, is the dual exhaust is asymmetrical. Pretty sure it's not even made anymore.
The Roadmaster, like the 60's-vintage Electras, was superb in a straight line (I test-drove one)........cushy, quiet, soft-riding, reasonably powerful, and comfortable, but definitely was not a car for cornering, where it had the body-roll and response of a battleship.

Quote:
As someone who likes cars, I was disappointed to see Olds and Pontiac go.
Many of the former Olds customers simply gravitated over to Buick (same with the former Mercury crowd when Ford dumped the Mercury division)....and added to Buick's following. That's one reason why GM decided to keep Buick after the reorganization......that, and the brand's huge popularity in China.

Quote:
I was given a 1970 LeMans Sport for free once, and as a young person, just pretended it was a GTO (it was a 250 I-6 with a 2-spd auto, 4 wheel drum brakes, and 25 y.o. lol)
You probably didn't really miss that much. I grew up with cars of that vintage when I was in high school. Except for the GTO's double-hood scoops, Endura rubber/vinyl full-front bumper, and, of course, the standard 400 c.i. V8, there wasn't much difference between the standard-model GTO and the LeMans Sport, especially inside, where the two interiors were virtually identical. And the LeMans cost less to insure and got better gas mileage. Now, of course, the bright orange 1970-71 GTO Judge, with the psuedo-flame decals applied to the front fenders and hood, was a different story......you could see (and sometimes hear) one of those coming from a half-mile away LOL.

Quote:
....personally, I think Buick and Caddy still have a following and they need to recognize that and keep trying to build good products...
Buicks are (now) taking a significant amount of Cadillac's buisness from them, at least partly because recent Caddys are unreliable, have high sticker-prices, ride too stiffly for vehicles in that class, and have simply become too sport-oriented. By doing so, Cadillac lost a good part of their former loyal buyer-base. Before I ordered my Lacrosse, I checked out both the CT6 and CTS (did a full-review on the CT6), and wasn't terribly impressed with either one. In fact, I found the new Lincoln Continental and MKZ more impressive overall.

Last edited by mmarshall; Yesterday at 12:38 PM.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #62
Johnhav430
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats by the way on your Lacrosse! Check out this website I stumbled upon, I like looking through the pics...one is a '94 LT1 Roadmaster wagon....

http://www.mcsmk8.com/

http://www.mcsmk8.com/94-ROADMASTER/ROADMASTER.html
Johnhav430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #63
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
Congrats by the way on your Lacrosse! Check out this website I stumbled upon, I like looking through the pics...one is a '94 LT1 Roadmaster wagon....

http://www.mcsmk8.com/

http://www.mcsmk8.com/94-ROADMASTER/ROADMASTER.html
Thanks. That Roadmaster Estate Wagon is beautiful. I'd be interested in it myself, except that it's too big for my condo parking space. The new Lacrosse offers a good dose of that old large-Buick comfort in a more manageable size for modern driving conditions.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote