Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 07:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is likely to be the last of the Opel-based Buicks, especially in the American market. GM is selling off the Opel subsidiary, just like it is cutting ties with Australia's Holden.
GM is NOT cutting ties with Holden. It is merely transforming Holden from a manufacturing subsidiary to a sales and service one. It will still be known as GM Holden but after this year, Holden will no longer build cars, just sell imported ones, including models from PSA Groupe-owned Opel.

I would not be surprised to see Holden start to sell more and more badge-engineered Chinese-made Buicks and Korean-made Chevrolets.
Old 04-21-17, 07:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, folks, my shopping's over. I made my decision and ordered my new car today....a 2017 Buick Lacrosse (Preferred-Trim-Level), with a minimum of options.....just the all-weather floor mats. The base-trim model doesn't come with the Sirius XM satellite radio I wanted, and the more expensive Essence and Premium versions come with a bunch of added stuff that I can do without. I would have liked the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, but that comes in a Driver Confidence Package that also includes NAV and a bunch of other things I don't need (and I'm generally very careful backing up, and all new cars come with a standard back-up camera). The Preferred trim-level does come with power tilt/telescoping steering column and the Satellite radio I wanted.

Out of all the exterior colors offered (like many upscale sedans, mostly funeral-home shades), I think the Lacrosse looks best in the "Pepperdust" metallic (and all of the metallic or pearl colors, except the Plain-Jane appliance-white and coal-black, carry either a $395 or $995 mark-up....you can thank the Germans for starting that crap, years ago). The Pepperdust Metallic, despite its being rather dull, IMO, is still attractive...and that is the color they the auto-show-tour Lacrosses were painted. It is an unusual combination of a rather light smoked gray Metallic, Moondust, and Champagine....kind of a nice throwback to the silver big Buick I had in college, but an even more interesting color.

Right now, delivery looks to be after the pollen season....about 6-8 weeks, so we're probably talking early-mid June. (just in time for big thunderstorms and hail in this area LOL......Hey, you can't win them all). And, yes, Mr. Trump...I bought American...American-market Lacrosses are built in Kansas City, with American labor, though some previous-generation Lacrosses were built in Canada. (My last two cars, the Verano and Subaru Outback, were also built in American plants...the Outback in Lafayette, IN, and the Verano in Orion, MI).

Steve will no doubt say "Ha Ha, I told you so".......but that is only partially correct. The truth, for me at least, was that this was a TOUGH choice between what I thought were four excellent sedans in this class (luxury or entry-level-luxury, depending on how you view it)...the Lacrosse, Lincoln MKZ, Lexus ES350, and Genesis G80, with the Chevy Impala and Kia Cadenza being two other possible options. The Lacrosse ended up being the choice for three basic reasons......First, excellent dealer service (which I believe in rewarding), Second, the Lacrosse's outstanding ride comfort and quietness, and, Third, my longtime attraction to the Buick nameplate, dating back to my late teens and college, though, from after the time I was in college till the time the Verano came out, Buicks, quality-wise, were mostly garbage, and I pretty much had to avoid them. You could (maybe) add a fourth...Buick's recent rise in Consumer Reports' reliability ratings to just behind Lexus, though that typically affects the Opel-based models more than the larger, American-based models like the Lacrosse and Enclave, which are generally average in reliability.

Congrats! It's a nice car. I think my in-laws are about to pull the trigger on one.

One update I'm looking forward to is to hear how you feel about the electronic shifter after you have lived with it for a week or two. Let us know if you change your mind about it.
Old 04-21-17, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Congrats! It's a nice car. I think my in-laws are about to pull the trigger on one.

One update I'm looking forward to is to hear how you feel about the electronic shifter after you have lived with it for a week or two. Let us know if you change your mind about it.
Thanks. Good luck to your in-laws....I think they made a wise choice.

I've already gotten used to the shifter some, after several test-drives. GM, though, IMO, could have still done an all-electronic shifter, saving the same amount of space on the console, with a conventional PRNDL pattern and motion. They chose, however, to use a weird pattern where the joy-stick always snaps back to the center position, and some operations are exactly the opposite of what you'd expect.
Old 04-21-17, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
GM is NOT cutting ties with Holden. It is merely transforming Holden from a manufacturing subsidiary to a sales and service one. It will still be known as GM Holden but after this year, Holden will no longer build cars, just sell imported ones, including models from PSA Groupe-owned Opel.
Perhaps I could have used a better term. My point was that as far as I understood, GM was not going to sell any more Holden-produced products under GM nameplates.

I would not be surprised to see Holden start to sell more and more badge-engineered Chinese-made Buicks and Korean-made Chevrolets.
A few years ago, there were supposedly plans for a Holden-manufactured Buick Grand National/GNX, which would have been basically a Chevy SS-rebadge. But those plans apparently fell through.
Old 04-22-17, 01:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've already gotten used to the shifter some, after several test-drives. GM, though, IMO, could have still done an all-electronic shifter, saving the same amount of space on the console, with a conventional PRNDL pattern and motion. They chose, however, to use a weird pattern where the joy-stick always snaps back to the center position, and some operations are exactly the opposite of what you'd expect.
Yes--that's my point. You "expect" it because that's what you have used for years. It's a similar configuration in my BMW, which only took a few days to get used to. Now it's second nature. I think you'll find the same thing once you drive it every day.

Think back years ago, when car companies (well--mostly American car companies) moved from column shifters to console shifters. How long did it take you to stop grabbing the wiper/cruise control stalk on your first car with a console gear shifter?
Old 04-22-17, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yes--that's my point. You "expect" it because that's what you have used for years. It's a similar configuration in my BMW, which only took a few days to get used to. Now it's second nature. I think you'll find the same thing once you drive it every day.
The problem, though, with the GM E-shifter, is that, going back to regular Drive (D) from the Manual-mode (M), you actually bump the lever BACKWARDS (towards you)....completely the opposite from what is indicated in the shift-markings. It's a weird system, and takes some getting used to. My last test-drive with a Lacrosse, though, before I ordered one, wasn't too bad...experience is helping.

I predict, BTW, with reasonable certainty, that a number of the old-timers who have been driving big Buicks for years are going to have at least some trouble adapting to this new shifter....and it may (?) affect the car's low-speed accident rate. These people don't have the sharp minds and reflexes they had decades ago.

You're probably wondering why I ordered one knowing that it has that shifter.....well, I was basically taken in with the car's cocoon-like ride comfort and quietness.....IMO superior to the other cars I considered. It also comes with a N/A V6 (which I wanted) compared to the MKZ's two turbo powerplants. I've wanted another big Buick ever since I left college...when their quality tanked in the early-mid 70s. Had an (old) Electra 225 in college, and simply loved it. Now, their quality is improving again.

Think back years ago, when car companies (well--mostly American car companies) moved from column shifters to console shifters. How long did it take you to stop grabbing the wiper/cruise control stalk on your first car with a console gear shifter?
I learned to drive a stick with the old three-on-the-tree. I actually liked it more than console-mounted shifters, as having the lever on the steering column saved space up front and allowed more free-room between the seats. You could also carry more up front with the bench seat that column-shifts allowed.

Some old French Citroens, BTW, actually had a four-on-the-tree, but, of course, in the Gallic tradition, almost everything on their cars was unusual compared to American standards.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think Buick (now) realizes that at least some old-timers are going to have trouble with the shifter, especially in the complex car-wash mode (it's also used in the Cadillac XT5 and Chevrolet Bolt). They've hired a perky blonde to try and explain it in a video.

One nice thing about the new shifter (and I'll give it credit for that) is that, no matter where it is set, it automatically goes into Park when you shut the engine off and open the driver's door....an important safety feature. That, of course, came as a result of the roll-away incidents that happened to Jeep Grand Cherokees a few years ago with their E-shifter.....owners got out and walked away, thinking their vehicles were in Park, when they in fact were still in Neutral. Of course, when on anything but a level or very-near-level surface, I myself use the parking brake in addition to the the park feature to keep stress (and the whole vehicle's weight) off the small parking-prowl in the transmission.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-22-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And if you are old enough, you remember all the "blonde jokes". So, I guess they figure their demographic is a bit older and if a blonde can do it anyone can. Sorry to perpetuate the myth, but it is funny. :-)

​​​​​​http://www.laughfactory.com/jokes/blonde-jokes
Old 04-23-17, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I read the cars.com review of the lacrosse. well written by the way.

https://www.cars.com/reviews/our-vie...1420691283730/

mmarshall, i'm sure you read it already, but did you get the awd package? I would have thought you would since you mention awd being so valuable in bad weather and snow, but i don't think you did?

i note how whisper quiet they say the car is with the 18's supporting your observation.
Old 04-23-17, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I read the cars.com review of the lacrosse. well written by the way.

https://www.cars.com/reviews/our-vie...1420691283730/
Thanks. I looked at the review. I agree with most of it....even the part that said it did not have the best interior materials in its class. (I myself give that award to the G80...by a long shot).

mmarshall, i'm sure you read it already, but did you get the awd package? I would have thought you would since you mention awd being so valuable in bad weather and snow, but i don't think you did?
No, I skipped it, for several reasons. First, IMO, nobody makes a better AWD system (even Audi's Quattro) than Subaru. If maximum winter traction were the issue, I probably would have gotten a top-level 6-cylinder Outback or Legacy....not a Lacrosse. Second, I don't drive as much in the snow since I retired.....I don't need as much all-weather capability as I did when I owned my Outback. Third, an AWD Lacrosse is a lot of cash. Even though I could easily afford it, money-wise, if I wanted it, the AWD package on the Lacrosse only comes on the top-line Premium version, which also includes a lot of other standard features that I don't want, don't, need, and probably wouldn't use most of the time......for me, a waste of money. I actually ordered a Preferred-trim version, one step up from base. I didn't order the base version because it comes with cheaper painted-alloy wheels, doesn't include a power-tilt/telescope function for the steering column (only manual), and doesn't include XM/Sirius satellite radio, which I DID want (I regularly listen to several satellite stations, particularly for some news-outlets and Christian music/broadcasts).

i note how whisper quiet they say the car is with the 18's supporting your observation.
Unlike some (admittedly) misleading car ads, Buick's Quiet-Tuning means what it says. Among other reasons, that's why I chose it. One can notice the quietness even on the entry-level Verano, particularly in warm weather when the tires are soft and the weatherstripping-seals expand in the heat, though, of course, the Verano's Ecotec four is somewhat noisier and less-refined than the Lacrosse's N/A V6. The Verano's 18" 45-series tires are also slightly less smooth than the Lacrosse's 18" 50-series tires. I thought the new Lacrosse was quieter than both the Cadillac CT6 and Lincoln Continental, and quieter than any of the others in its class I compared it to, though the Lincoln MKZ came close. The Lexus ES350 was once whisper-quiet, but IMO lost a little of that refinement in the last major re-design. The Continental, though, without question, had a more ornate interior (you could almost call it Pimp-grade LOL) .....as also did the Genesis G80.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-23-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 09:33 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Congratulations on your new Lacrosse MMarshall
Old 04-26-17, 01:52 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Mike. Very happy for you. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 04-26-17, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Congratulations on your new Lacrosse MMarshall
Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats Mike. Very happy for you. Enjoy it in good health.
Thanks, Gentlemen. I probably will enjoy it....but how good my health is remains to be seen. So far, after that right-knee injury and operation last year (which healed up and recovered OK), it looks like I'm going to be able to dodge a bullet for an operation/replacement on the other (left) knee for arthritis. My surgeon, after X-rays, wants to replace it, but I can function and walk/swim with it pretty much normally and painlessly (it's actually better, stronger, and less-painful now than it was six months ago)....though running and long walks are out of the question. Right now, I don't see a need for a replacement, if it doesn't get a lot worse.
Old 04-27-17, 06:35 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Gentlemen. I probably will enjoy it....but how good my health is remains to be seen. So far, after that right-knee injury and operation last year (which healed up and recovered OK), it looks like I'm going to be able to dodge a bullet for an operation/replacement on the other (left) knee for arthritis. My surgeon, after X-rays, wants to replace it, but I can function and walk/swim with it pretty much normally and painlessly (it's actually better, stronger, and less-painful now than it was six months ago)....though running and long walks are out of the question. Right now, I don't see a need for a replacement, if it doesn't get a lot worse.
Please continue to take care of yourself. On the bright side it looks like your driving knee is good, so you can still do those great reviews for all to enjoy,.
Old 04-27-17, 08:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Do you like Buick as a car co.? My dad does, his first car was one. And now, it seems like he's come full circle with a Encore (got a super deal, apparently the dealers are getting marketing dollars to choose what car they want to move, listed for almost 38k, sold for 30k, and he even got them to remove all the dealer add ons and take off their conveyance fee and he said he wanted to do the tags himself so they took that off). I personally like the Roadmaster Wagon with the LT1 motor. What a sweet true dual stainless steel exhaust that car has. What I liked about it, is the dual exhaust is asymmetrical. Pretty sure it's not even made anymore. As someone who likes cars, I was disappointed to see Olds and Pontiac go. I was given a 1970 LeMans Sport for free once, and as a young person, just pretended it was a GTO (it was a 250 I-6 with a 2-spd auto, 4 wheel drum brakes, and 25 y.o. lol)....personally, I think Buick and Caddy still have a following and they need to recognize that and keep trying to build good products...

Quick Reply: Ordered my new car (2018 Buick Lacrosse)