Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Things that Separate Lexus from the Rest

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 08:27 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 5 Things that Separate Lexus from the Rest

5 Things that Separate Lexus from the Rest
By Bassem Girgis

Old 04-22-17, 11:35 PM
DennisWeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this are really great features from lexus. I mean, it will surely be an amazing feature to have in your car.
Old 04-23-17, 10:55 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance, safety, and material quality are not unique to Lexus. In fact, Lexus trails behind the competition in these areas.
Old 04-23-17, 04:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Performance, safety, and material quality are not unique to Lexus. In fact, Lexus trails behind the competition in these areas.
I dunno if this has changed, but I think that a higher end car should not use components from their in laws, meaning say power window switches in Lexus should be different than Toyotas, power lock switches, headlight switches, windshield washer stalks, etc. etc. Another area imho would be the quality of seats and door panels, vs. the European competition.
Old 04-23-17, 07:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Compared with the high end AUDI, Mercedes, and BMW that have the fully leather stitched interiors, I completely agree. Lexus does not offer anything like it. But then again those are all $90k+ vehicles on the very low end and so it's not a fair comparison. Your typical base model 3 series and A4 are not that impressive at all.
Old 04-24-17, 07:13 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Huh? Performance & safety? To who precisely?
Old 04-24-17, 11:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Just about all Lexus competitors have quicker top end, middle, and base engines/cars with more power. LS has 380hp, competitors all have had over 400hp and have been quicker for a while, GS350 is down on power and acceleration compared to most competitors and GS lacks affordable V8 option, GS F down on power and performance compared to competitors, same with IS350, new Lexus 4cyl down on power and performance. Competitors build just as safe if not safer vehicles. Lexus reliability and quality has fallen while dealership cost,prices, gouging are near or at German levels while competitors reliability ratings have gone up.
Old 04-24-17, 02:40 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Compared with the high end AUDI, Mercedes, and BMW that have the fully leather stitched interiors, I completely agree. Lexus does not offer anything like it. But then again those are all $90k+ vehicles on the very low end and so it's not a fair comparison. Your typical base model 3 series and A4 are not that impressive at all.
They are definitely more impressive, and they don't share their cruise control stalks with my first car which was a '97 Camry!
Old 04-24-17, 02:51 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

They are definitely more impressive, and they don't share their cruise control stalks with my first car which was a '97 Camry!
Have to agree. The ****ty base models of 3-series and A4 still drive solid despite the lack of options and power. You can't even get that kind of stability performance from an optioned out Accord Sports Limited/Camry XLE.
Old 04-24-17, 03:17 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Performance???? Really? LOL

Reliability yes, but not performance.
Old 04-25-17, 08:37 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Just about all Lexus competitors have quicker top end, middle, and base engines/cars with more power. LS has 380hp, competitors all have had over 400hp and have been quicker for a while, GS350 is down on power and acceleration compared to most competitors and GS lacks affordable V8 option, GS F down on power and performance compared to competitors, same with IS350, new Lexus 4cyl down on power and performance. Competitors build just as safe if not safer vehicles. Lexus reliability and quality has fallen while dealership cost,prices, gouging are near or at German levels while competitors reliability ratings have gone up.
In real world driving those differences are not only negligible, but who can notice? Most certainly cannot. And I'm not sure I'm fully on board with BMW or whoever beating out Lexus in safety. They may be caught up, but not surpassing.
(plus, what are you using over 400hp for anyways? lol)
Old 04-25-17, 09:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

One thing: Customer Service

Having an '06, I avoid the dealership obviously as much as possible. The customer service seems to be top notch no matter which dealer I have popped-in at. One dealership gives the SA's their own offices? And a customer was holding hands with an attractive SA? Another, I strolled into looking for a plastic hood pin and I was dressed for the gym. An advisor walked me to the parts counter because I couldn't find it, in a suit. Yet another dealership, since I wanted to take off the GMC license plate frame that came with my car purchased used, I asked them if I could have some license plate frames--before the receptionist could answer, an SA said, "I'll get you a couple." He did and handed me a set of two still in the plastic package.

That's customer service. With all that being said, virtually all service is overpriced and bordering on eclipsing BMW. If only BMW could understand the customer service portion, but you don't spend much time there since they give you a loaner for any/all reasons, even $60 services.....
Old 04-25-17, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

In real world driving those differences are not only negligible, but who can notice? Most certainly cannot. And I'm not sure I'm fully on board with BMW or whoever beating out Lexus in safety. They may be caught up, but not surpassing.
To some buyers they find it negligible or can't notice but to others they do find it a big deal and can notice the difference especially when it comes to more expensive luxury and sports cars they may be more passionate about. Keeping older engines at the same power levels in the next generation of cars will be noticed by some buyers, especially when that next gen of vehicles is generally slower then the previous one.

If nobody used or really wanted 400hp then 8 cyl Mustangs, Camaro's, Corvettes, M3's, M5's, 911's, Ferrari's, AMG's, S classes, Bentley's, Aston Martin's, etc would not sell or there would be no demand for them. There is a market for power and it is a big selling point for some, 400hp in a very big heavy car like a S class would make the car and acceleration very smooth and effortless, it would not make it into some kind of hot rod, with just 300hp or less it would likely struggle a bit and not be as satisfying, smooth, and effortless to drive.
Old 04-25-17, 10:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
To some buyers they find it negligible or can't notice but to others they do find it a big deal and can notice the difference especially when it comes to more expensive luxury and sports cars they may be more passionate about. Keeping older engines at the same power levels in the next generation of cars will be noticed by some buyers, especially when that next gen of vehicles is generally slower then the previous one.

If nobody used or really wanted 400hp then 8 cyl Mustangs, Camaro's, Corvettes, M3's, M5's, 911's, Ferrari's, AMG's, S classes, Bentley's, Aston Martin's, etc would not sell or there would be no demand for them. There is a market for power and it is a big selling point for some, 400hp in a very big heavy car like a S class would make the car and acceleration very smooth and effortless, it would not make it into some kind of hot rod, with just 300hp or less it would likely struggle a bit and not be as satisfying, smooth, and effortless to drive.
It's kind of funny how < 300 HP is considered inadequate, and very few even mention torque. It used to take 8 cyl. and 4+ liters to produce 280 HP in the early 2000's. I think my buddy's 500 cu in Caddy had like 190 HP, due to being strangled by the EPA. But at the same time, 360 ft. lbs at 2k. The way it should be.
Old 04-25-17, 04:47 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's noticeable and it's spectacular.

Almost every segment is dominated by another car in performance. I don't know of any that Lexus dominates. Not that performance is the only criteria. Lexus makes up for it in quality and reliability. It's one of the things that makes Lexus so attractive. All that performance costs $$ and tech that might otherwise make those cars a weeeee bit less reliable. It's one of the reasons that I do not keep any of my German cars past 3-4 years, but I'm looking for a long term LS.

Last edited by ragingf80; 04-25-17 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 Things that Separate Lexus from the Rest