Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 07:43 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I like this, except a few things... the screens. The main display is fine in design, but looks out of place considering how tall it is. The displays on Lexus models have a wider aspect ratio so it integrates with the dash a bit better.

Also, the rear audio screen between the bucket seats. It looks like an afterthought. Some more refinement would have been better in that area.
Old 04-13-17, 11:00 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the driver included with the Navigator as an attempt to compete against Uber. Anyone who purchases a Navigator will get 8 hours of a Lincoln-trained chauffeur. Beyond those 8 hours you can pay $30/hour and buy them in blocks of time. Allows busy owners an opportunity to use a trusted and vetted driver to run errands, pick up friends/family, or just drive you around while you sit in the back and get work done. Pretty interesting concept IMO.
Old 04-13-17, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

That is interesting...
Old 04-13-17, 11:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is the driver included with the Navigator as an attempt to compete against Uber. Anyone who purchases a Navigator will get 8 hours of a Lincoln-trained chauffeur. Beyond those 8 hours you can pay $30/hour and buy them in blocks of time. Allows busy owners an opportunity to use a trusted and vetted driver to run errands, pick up friends/family, or just drive you around while you sit in the back and get work done. Pretty interesting concept IMO.
Self driving car.
Old 04-13-17, 11:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That is interesting...
I thought so- I read about it on Twitter yesterday as I have been keeping an eye on Ford as a possible stock to pick up. With so much negative press on Uber lately, it seems Ford may be trying to capitalize on an opportunity. The article very clearly laid out how the drivers have to be vetted and trained in order to be of high-enough caliber to qualify for the Lincoln experience. They're positioning it as more of a premium experience than your typical UberX driver. I think they may be offering it on the Continental as well.

While I find it interesting, I don't know logistically and financially how much sense it makes (I use Uber to go to dinner, etc. and wouldn't want to pay $90 to have my driver waiting for 3 hours when I could use Uber/Lyft for about $30 round trip). Logistically you can't do one way trips to save cash on the hourly rate. I almost think this may be more geared towards folks who truly want to use it more as an extra professional hand to help take care of a busy family's chores. It's certainly a nice perk- it will be interesting to see how much folks use it when they run out of the included 8 hours.
Old 04-13-17, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Fascinating!! Are these Chauffeurs, contractors or employed directly by FoMoCo?
Old 04-13-17, 12:36 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Here's a short article- it's under "new perks". What I read on TWTR yesterday was more comprehensive- I don't recall if they were employed directly my Ford. http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...inum-body.html
Old 04-13-17, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Here's a short article- it's under "new perks". What I read on TWTR yesterday was more comprehensive- I don't recall if they were employed directly my Ford. http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...inum-body.html
Good read. Thanks for the link
Old 04-13-17, 03:54 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Can anyone confirm if the door panels are full of plastic trims? I shopped for a new one 2 years ago, everything was nice besides the plastic everywhere. I cannot and will not buy anything for that price with plastic trims
Old 04-13-17, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If the Continental is any indication they should be better.
Old 04-13-17, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I cannot and will not buy anything for that price with plastic trims
Get used to driving 1960s vintage-cars for the rest of your life, then, because virtually everything for the last 40 years, including most luxury cars, has at least some plastic in its interior.....column stalks, glove-box door, lower-door trim, cupholders, power-window/door/mirror switches, etc... You simply are not going to avoid it except maybe in some extreme-niche vehicles. Sorry to sound so negative, but that is simply a fact.
Old 04-13-17, 07:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Its a pretty good perk. Gotta give Ford some serious credit for it. Well done!
Old 04-13-17, 08:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Get used to driving 1960s vintage-cars for the rest of your life, then, because virtually everything for the last 40 years, including most luxury cars, has at least some plastic in its interior.....column stalks, glove-box door, lower-door trim, cupholders, power-window/door/mirror switches, etc... You simply are not going to avoid it except maybe in some extreme-niche vehicles. Sorry to sound so negative, but that is simply a fact.
Kind of an odd statement he made I agree, considering the rough gray plastic steering wheel bezels on his RC F are pretty offensive to the hands and eyes. To be fair the latest ES, GS, RX dropped that wheel for a new design with a higher grade smooth plastic, though the 2017 GS F and RC F still carry on with the old design at least for now.
Old 04-13-17, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its a pretty good perk. Gotta give Ford some serious credit for it. Well done!
I admit it's an interesting idea, although thirty bucks an hour can add up pretty quickly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it was reviewed on motorweek this week - they really liked it, especially the ride quality, but said it will be tough to compete with its competitors.
It should be difficult to compete with all of the competitors. The car industry is going to sell less units this year. But it is good enough to compete.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lincoln Navigator