Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do your rotors rust?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Rusty Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 12:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
I wish I had known that these new rotors would rust so bad; I would have paid the slight price differential for the Lexus ones.
This makes the car look... cheap
And it is very visible.

The previous rotors, though very old, did not rust (at least I couldn't detect rust).
Previous owner had the car serviced at Lexus Dealerships, if those weren't the original rotors from 2005 (110K miles).
My oem rotor hats/hubs were a ugly dark brown color on my GS. I just cleaned them with brake cleaner, sanded them a little, painted them with silver caliper paint when I painted my calipers. Huge difference and lasted years until my car was totaled, only had to do some occasional touch up over the years.
Old 05-14-17, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It is more or less normal for steel brake rotors to form a thin layer of brown-colored rust, in moist or humid conditions, after sitting for several hours, particularly on a rainy day or if you have just washed the car. A couple of brake-pedal applications after the car is started up and driven away should clear most of it off the actual contact-surface (the pads rub it away as they contact the rotor)...although for those first couple of applications, the car may (?) groan and vibrate a little just as it comes to a full-stop. That's normal....and nothing to be concerned with. The brakes are usually fine after a couple of applications....generally a quarter to a half a mile.
Old 05-14-17, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

That's not what they're talking about. They're talking about rust on the rotor hat which never comes in contact with the brake pads.
Old 05-14-17, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's not what they're talking about. They're talking about rust on the rotor hat which never comes in contact with the brake pads.
Unless one lives in an extremely dry climate (southern Arizona, for example), or has stainless-steel or ceramic rotors, I don't see how a certain amount of that is going to be avoided.
Old 05-14-17, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless one lives in an extremely dry climate (southern Arizona, for example), or has stainless-steel or ceramic rotors, I don't see how a certain amount of that is going to be avoided.
It's avoided by buying rotors with painted and treated rotor hats, thats what he just did.
Old 05-16-17, 09:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend's kid was nerding out, detailing his bicycle, waxing, polishing everything in sight. Yep, he Armoralled the brake pads too, looked good, stopped bad . . . that is to say, not at all. That was him, wrapped around the stop sign at the end of the street. Bet he doesn't do that again.
Old 05-16-17, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A friend's kid was nerding out, detailing his bicycle, waxing, polishing everything in sight. Yep, he Armoralled the brake pads too, looked good, stopped bad . . . that is to say, not at all. That was him, wrapped around the stop sign at the end of the street. Bet he doesn't do that again.
That reminds me of the old joke we told, back in high school, about the local lube-shop that was so thorough that they even greased the brake-linings That, of course, was before disc brakes became near-universal, and many cars had drums even up front.

Also, back then, of course, that was before the days of permanently-lubed components from the factory. At every oil-change, you crawled under the car and hit all of the nipple-fittings on the suspension and steering system with an old-fashioned grease-gun, filling up the grease-bags (sometimes by guess-work) just short of where they would pop open from the pressure. (I still have the gun I used back then....probably haven't touched it in 30 years LOL).
Old 05-16-17, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That reminds me of the old joke we told, back in high school, about the local lube-shop that was so thorough that they even greased the brake-linings That, of course, was before disc brakes became near-universal, and many cars had drums even up front.

Also, back then, of course, that was before the days of permanently-lubed components from the factory. At every oil-change, you crawled under the car and hit all of the nipple-fittings on the suspension and steering system with an old-fashioned grease-gun, filling up the grease-bags (sometimes by guess-work) just short of where they would pop open from the pressure. (I still have the gun I used back then....probably haven't touched it in 30 years LOL).
I remember the grease gun on my old Cadillacs, 1991 and 1995, still had the grease nipples, kind of funny how those old cars were built more like trucks than what we call cars now days. The 1995 had a 7000lb tow rating lol. And I'd actually trust it to tow that much, that car had great brakes, a lot of power( A LOT more than a Suburban for that year), plus it was BIG AND HEAVY.
Old 05-17-17, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yep I was given a 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport when it was 21 y.o., for free, and I drove it for a full year, all over the place, Boston, NYC, Syracuse, but I didn't dare take it over the Canadian border, dunno why, thought maybe I'd get hassled by the Customs on both sides I guess. Guess I was pretty naive, I dropped it off for a NYS inspection and decided to check if they were done at lunch time. To my surprise, it was on the lift with all 4 wheels pulled.

"I've got drums on the front?"

Yep, you guessed it, could not be passed, shop said there would be way too much I'd have to do to get it up to snuff. Guess my buddy's parents on the Island knew someone, but I can't complain, it was free, and believe it or not, girls liked it....
Old 05-17-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Yep I was given a 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport when it was 21 y.o., for free, and I drove it for a full year, all over the place, Boston, NYC, Syracuse, but I didn't dare take it over the Canadian border, dunno why, thought maybe I'd get hassled by the Customs on both sides I guess. Guess I was pretty naive, I dropped it off for a NYS inspection and decided to check if they were done at lunch time. To my surprise, it was on the lift with all 4 wheels pulled.

"I've got drums on the front?"

Yep, you guessed it, could not be passed, shop said there would be way too much I'd have to do to get it up to snuff. Guess my buddy's parents on the Island knew someone, but I can't complain, it was free, and believe it or not, girls liked it....
Back then, the Le Mans had much of the non-Judge GTO's looks (minus the twin-hood scoops and Endura-rubber bumper front-end covering), an almost identical interior, and even some pretty healthy engine choices. GTOs, though, if my memory is correct, came with standard power front discs.....the Le Mans with drums.
Old 05-17-17, 06:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Back then, the Le Mans had much of the non-Judge GTO's looks (minus the twin-hood scoops and Endura-rubber bumper front-end covering), an almost identical interior, and even some pretty healthy engine choices. GTOs, though, if my memory is correct, came with standard power front discs.....the Le Mans with drums.
You would think I would know this being into cars, what did the "Sport" designation add? Wasn't there like 4 trims, and Sport was one up from base? It was maroon with a black vinyl top, I-250 6 with a 2-spd auto, the thing was scary how quietly it idled....
Old 05-23-17, 09:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

was continuing to look into this, and with GM products, have always known they have the good, better, best concept. Where you have AC Delco Advantage, Professional, and OE.

Interestingly, Advantage is bare, Professional has black paint, and OE is the same dull gray/white like BMW, which imho prevents rust the entire life of the disc. Thinking back, I must have gotten burned with the OE Nissan and got the switcharoo where they sold me the "good" and not the "best" lol that Nissan dealer is out of business anyway, was in Nawlins....

here's what I mean, not sure if the link will work

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=172531725638&&&chn=ps
Old 05-23-17, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You would think I would know this being into cars, what did the "Sport" designation add? Wasn't there like 4 trims, and Sport was one up from base? It was maroon with a black vinyl top, I-250 6 with a 2-spd auto, the thing was scary how quietly it idled....
I don't remember all of the details (it was a long time ago, when I was in high school)...but I think the Sport version added a console, bucket seats, and relocated the shifter from the steering column to the console. The Pontiac in-line six was also quite unusual for the era. It was, to my knowledge, the only American-designed mass-production engine, at the time, with a single overhead cam...all of the others were push-rods. That OHC design may (?) have helped in that quiet idle you mention.
Old 07-23-17, 03:37 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Rotors that rust on the hat (thats the part that sits over the hub and bolts between the wheels and the hub) are just cheap rotors, of course thats what you're going to get at a place like Midas.

The OEM Lexus rotors have a coated hat that doesn't rust like that, and I just replaced my front rotors with Centric Premium rotors that have a coated AND fully painted hat that won't rust. Thats the "Premium", if I had bought the non Premium rotors they would have an uncoated hat that would have rusted like that.

This is why you should take the time and select your own quality components. Good rotors are cheap, my Centric premiums for my AWD LS460 (bigger more expensive rotors than what is on the LS430) were $63 each. The non Premium would have saved $18 each...so for $18 more a side you'd have no rusting.

Note the painted hat:

So how are your rotors today, still no rust, right?

I thought about this some more and on my poor LS430, I can't justify the cost of OE....discounted around $91 each rotor for the rears, PLUS shipping. whereas the Centrics are around $40 each shipped (just wish the hats were a dull gray like OE, not a gloss black)....and I found this tidbit too about Centric

E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....=1279571&jsn=3
Old 07-23-17, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, mine are rust free.

Gloss black looks great.

Quick Reply: Rusty Rotors