Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying experience at your Lexus dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 05:16 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am not shopping for a compact sport sedan; I am looking to replace my ES Hybrid. The next-gen Camry Hybrid looks like it will be a better car. I may even go back to my old Toyota dealer that treated me very well.
Just wondering not trying to start a fight. If you don't feel that Lexus cars are worth a premium price what about them isn't? How come you feel as if you don't think they are worth a premium over ehh toyotas? Btw just wondering not trying to start any problems. Btw I certainly 120 percent disagree with you.
Old 03-31-17, 08:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Just wondering not trying to start a fight. If you don't feel that Lexus cars are worth a premium price what about them isn't? How come you feel as if you don't think they are worth a premium over ehh toyotas? Btw just wondering not trying to start any problems. Btw I certainly 120 percent disagree with you.
I never said that a Lexus is not worth the premium. I am saying that I may no longer want to pay the premium. For what I want in a car, I may be able to get something that is less expensive. Yes, a less expensive car may have fewer features but there are some features that -- although nice -- I can live without. A less expensive car may also, unexpectedly, give me some features that I do not have on my current ES Hybrid (I miss small-item storage, like a place for my phone while I am charging it and a place for my sunglasses case, both of which are missing from the ES). And the next-gen Camry will offer a better, more efficient hybrid system with the higher-capacity battery under the rear seat that should give me back fold-down rear seatbacks.

I also feel that the premium price of the Lexus has not bought me anything special at the dealer. I received better, friendlier (and cheaper) service at my old Toyota dealer.

But, right now, I do not know. I may just stay and wait for the new 2019 ES that should be a truly new model.
Old 03-31-17, 10:31 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Terrific experience getting my RX450h at the Portland Oregon dealer. Elegant surroundings and the people really wanted to please. Even the customers having their vehicles serviced seemed "refined," like all of us being members of this exclusive airport club. I half expected to see one of them ask another whether they had any Grey Poupon to share.

I guess you have to be of a certain age to understand that last line.
Old 04-01-17, 09:26 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
I never said that a Lexus is not worth the premium. I am saying that I may no longer want to pay the premium. For what I want in a car, I may be able to get something that is less expensive. Yes, a less expensive car may have fewer features but there are some features that -- although nice -- I can live without. A less expensive car may also, unexpectedly, give me some features that I do not have on my current ES Hybrid (I miss small-item storage, like a place for my phone while I am charging it and a place for my sunglasses case, both of which are missing from the ES). And the next-gen Camry will offer a better, more efficient hybrid system with the higher-capacity battery under the rear seat that should give me back fold-down rear seatbacks.

I also feel that the premium price of the Lexus has not bought me anything special at the dealer. I received better, friendlier (and cheaper) service at my old Toyota dealer.

But, right now, I do not know. I may just stay and wait for the new 2019 ES that should be a truly new model.
Ohhh gotcha. I have a 2016 es 350. Best car ever imho I love everything about it. I am also looking forward to next gen es. From what I've heard the new is absolutely stunning and a lot more luxurious to. So that should be exciting.
Old 04-01-17, 09:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't find the Jalopnik article very good at all. I kinda lost respect when they used the words "****ty" in the article. I have never liked swearing in articles.

I think the definition of a good dealer experience is different to everyone. Someone buying a cheap car can still have an amazing dealership experience compared to someone buying a high end car who might have a poor experience. I have always found it very interesting how different brands have different ways of doing things. Personally speaking, being offered some sort of espresso beverage and sitting at a bar area and using a digital device to figure out the car colors or interiors make no difference to me. A good experience to me is a number of things, having absolutely no pressure in buying a car, looking at multiple cars without the salesperson bothering me or us, and test driving the car without the salesperson. These are the things that matter to me. If they can trust me with this, then I will gain trust with them. On the flip side, there are some people that want to pampered and talked to in an upper class way, there are some people that have no idea what is in the car and need it explained, and I guess there are those who need that espresso beverage to feel like great. Everyone is different.

For me, the majority of my Toyota and Lexus cars have come from the same location which is a split Toyota/Lexus location. I been able to purchase from the sales manager who has now become very fond of our family, we are able to buy both Toyota and Lexus from the Toyota side. Its very easy going in, asking for the keys for a number of cars, taking the cars out alone or with a family member for the test drive, then when we are ready we just come back inside, find out what the no haggle price is for pricing agency we use, and then we are done. Leave a credit card deposit and we are out the door. Color and interior is easy to do. Generally speaking I pay cash so there is never a discussion about financing or leasing, we have a good enough relationship that we do not need to even use a certified cheque. There is no need to provide a drivers licence and no photocopying. The only two times I didn't pay cash was when we used financing was when Toyota was giving 0% financing and the CT200h we decided we would lease (would never do again). The most we have ever spent cash on a new Toyota or Lexus was $95k CAN on a Lexus LX back in 2001 always from the same gut, but times have changed since then for our priorities.

Over the years, I have also learned that my time is important. I don't need to go dealer to dealer trying to get the lowest price possible. I would much rather test drive, and then buy the car in two hours then spend all kinds of time driving to another dealer and then dealing with their sales persons. I really like the idea of "no haggle" pricing the way we buy ours car through a dealer supported pricing agency. I understand that its not for everyone but that is OK. I do understand that there are some that would rather deal and deal and get the lowest price. But that is OK too.

I have also found that some non-luxury dealers can give luxury dealers a run for their money and in fact could be a better experience than the luxury dealer. Non luxury locations are getting very good. There is actually a Toyota dealer near one of my clients that I visit from time to time, I usually bring lunch and when done with the client before I go to the next client, I sometimes just walk over to the Toyota dealer and use their waiting room to eat and just unwind. Its that nice.

But back to the article, its not a very good one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-01-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 12:13 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riredale
Terrific experience getting my RX450h at the Portland Oregon dealer. Elegant surroundings and the people really wanted to please. Even the customers having their vehicles serviced seemed "refined," like all of us being members of this exclusive airport club. I half expected to see one of them ask another whether they had any Grey Poupon to share.

I guess you have to be of a certain age to understand that last line.
I almost bought my Lexus CPO from there. They were giving a hell of a deal and I almost pulled the trigger, but couldn't get over how ugly/depressing Nebula Grey looked.
Old 04-01-17, 12:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
I haven't ever dealt with them, as Lexus of Seattle is much closer to home. One of my coworkers had a bad experience at Bellevue, but I've heard others with good experiences. Bellevue is a much more impressive facility.

Lexus of Seattle has treated me well and been very fair on pricing with pretty easy negotiations so I just stick with them.
Fair enough. Yeah their facility is mighty impressive but I'm not a fan of the people who work there. They overprice CPO cars, then treat you like 2nd class if you buy the same vehicle elsewhere. When I was getting service done on my car, the guy I was working with made a snide remark about my getting the car from elsewhere. I told him I deserve the same quality of service and respect as every other Lexus customer no matter where I bought the car from, and that they should've been more competitive with their pricing if they wanted my business. I feel they're a bit pretentious cause of their facility, location, and ensuing sales figures being in one of the richest zip codes of the west coast.
Old 04-02-17, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ohhh gotcha. I have a 2016 es 350. Best car ever imho I love everything about it. I am also looking forward to next gen es. From what I've heard the new is absolutely stunning and a lot more luxurious to. So that should be exciting.
I think the refreshed ES is the best Lexus sedan right now. It took a long time to grow on me, but it has now. I can't tell the current ES and the 18 LS500 in pics apart, they look so similar. I think the next ES will increase the top end of the ES MSRP to better compete with the competition.
Old 04-02-17, 09:24 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the refreshed ES is the best Lexus sedan right now. It took a long time to grow on me, but it has now. I can't tell the current ES and the 18 LS500 in pics apart, they look so similar. I think the next ES will increase the top end of the ES MSRP to better compete with the competition.
Right now it tops in the 50-52k range very nicely equipped. I hope they move the price to much. My current car is 47,9k and it has everything except the 18 inch wheels and ultra lux package. So I hope when the next gen comes out that it isn't to much more. None the less I will have a next gen es tho.
Old 04-02-17, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Nice, congrats. Lexus website drives me nuts but it looks like the diff between yours and ultra lux pkg is just panoramic sun roof and rear power shade, is that right?
Old 04-02-17, 11:12 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice, congrats. Lexus website drives me nuts but it looks like the diff between yours and ultra lux pkg is just panoramic sun roof and rear power shade, is that right?
Nope I have all that stuff. Only difference is the ambient lighting semi aniline Leather and the rear door shades. Nothing big but next time def gonna get ultra lux just for having ever little thing. And thanks.
Old 04-02-17, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

My purchase experiences have always been fine, I negotiate everything online typically. With my LS I walked in and just bought it and did everything right there, of course I knew all my numbers and all going in and that experience was also fine.

I would also also agree though that the service has become very "ordinary". It didn't used to be, used to be Lexus really went above and beyond, pickup and drop off, detailed car washes, stepping up and doing things for free even when they don't have to. Isn't the case anymore, it's very typical service (with a fancy veneer) and when they can get out of doing something extra for you, they do.
Old 04-02-17, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That's the beauty of the current ES, it doesn't really have much competition in reference to value and luxury. Maybe a little from the C-class, but little from the core competitors such as BMW, Audi, and Infiniti (those are all sporty rides, lined up with the IS). There's probably some cross shopping with Hyundai. I don't see the typical Lexus buyer shopping American brands like Lincoln.

Most ES's I see sell here have the basic nav package and not much more. That should put it in the low $40k's for a sticker price, with heavy discounts and a similar out the door price. So here someone can get into a major luxury brand for a lease payment in the mid $300's. An excellent value. I truly believe this is one of the main factors Lexus sells so many of these. If they notched things up to a higher price bracket, the swift sales would evaporate.
Old 04-03-17, 10:43 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Side note but the 16+ ES I believe is manufactured in KY, whereas previous ES models (including the 13-15) were built in Japan). The 16+ had it's suspension retuned and I haven't been able to tell that many differences between a Japan-built and KY-built one. They also shifted manufacturing of the RX from Japan to Canada about a decade ago with no significant compromises, RX remains the top seller of the Lexus badge.
Old 04-03-17, 11:13 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wandl
Side note but the 16+ ES I believe is manufactured in KY, whereas previous ES models (including the 13-15) were built in Japan). The 16+ had it's suspension retuned and I haven't been able to tell that many differences between a Japan-built and KY-built one. They also shifted manufacturing of the RX from Japan to Canada about a decade ago with no significant compromises, RX remains the top seller of the Lexus badge.
You are correct. They are mostly produced in Kentucky now. such as my car. But some are still produced in good old Japan. The hybrid is only produced in Japan tho.

Quick Reply: Buying experience at your Lexus dealership