Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have a co-worker who has only driven manuals all his life. He's turning 50 next year. So yesterday, he traded in his manual 2003 Tacoma for a brand new 4-Runner from Longo. He is so happy with the whole thing, including the change to automatics. When I dive deeper into the topic with him, he's basically tired of the added cost of fixing manuals over the life of the car. The Tacoma had been bullet-proof, except for the ongoing wear and tear of the transmission. So, I suppose that can be added to the negative list. Then again, manual cars are usually cheaper to purchase than automatic ones, so perhaps it's a wash depending on how long the vehicle is kept.
Personally, I'm happy manually shifting my automatic. Similar control, without the potential clutch issues.
By the way, in the time he was there making the deal at Longo, he had four interested parties for his Tacoma trade. Talk about resale!
One of our now-deceased (and very well-respected) CL staff members, AsianGirl007 (Liz Hyun) worked at both Longo Lexus and Longo Toyota as a saleslady.....she was quite knowledgeable, and contributed a lot to both this forum and her customers. Sadly, she passed away prematurely in 2009. Some of the managers and employees at Longo might still remember her.
Old 03-30-17, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
no learning curve switching to RHD?
surprisingly easy, mainly because the pedals are still in the same order. because i'm then sitting on the right side of the car, and driving in the left lane, i 'aim' to have the right side of the car near the center line, just as i would the other way in the u.s. (and most places). this worked just fine even though i didn't have much awareness of how close my left side was to the curb / hedges / walls / sheep etc.

Originally Posted by Sulu
I visited England and Wales with a friend some years back, and decided to travel around by car. I was somewhat anxious about driving RHD cars so insisted that we rent ones with automatic transmissions.

From Manchester, we were able to rent an automatic Ford Mondeo but at Heathrow, all they had was a manual Ford Focus. It was actually easier than I thought it would be -- even the manual Focus. I was still anxious about parallel parking, though (something we don't do much of in North America anymore), not just because I am driving on the wrong side of the car, rowing my own gears with my left hand instead of my right, but also reversing into a spot on the wrong side of the road. So I avoided it or had my friend (from Singapore) do the parallel parking.

I would be willing to try it again -- but not in London (we did not drive into London that time). I would have to do all the driving though, since my wife never learned to drive stick and has never driven (intentionally) on the wrong side of the road.
good story. yeah driving in london sucks no matter what the car... best to walk, uber, taxi, bus, tube.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The (2003) Tacoma had been bullet-proof, except for the ongoing wear and tear of the transmission.
he must be hard on manuals. i've never had to fix a manual ever!
Old 03-30-17, 10:02 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol, of course your 1 year old likely won't ever drive at all but will chuckle at you wanting to teach them the 'old ways'
haha yes! I will be that dad lol
Old 03-30-17, 10:09 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold my last manual 97' SC300 about 6 years ago, still have manual trans withdraw......
Old 03-30-17, 12:25 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

YES, I prefer to control the engine myself YES!!!!!!!!!! Best anti theft device you can have, a manual transmission!
Old 03-30-17, 01:23 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I have an S2k for the weekend and a CT for a daily. When I take the Honda to work, I'm wide eye awake when I get there from the fun driving.
Old 03-31-17, 10:16 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

Up until early last year, my two previous daily drivers were manual 5 speed Honda Civics. The '92 SC is automatic and the now daily hand-me-down from the wife is an LS430. I have to say that commute time, bumper to bumper traffic is a lot easier to endure then with the two prior Hondas (both of which had smooth trannies and soft pedals).

When I do retire (real soon) a manual will be back on the list for a lot reasons mentioned above (fun to drive, control, mileage, etc).....
Old 04-01-17, 07:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I prefer manual only if it's in the right car. So no manual Camry for me..I'll take the automatic. lol.
Old 04-01-17, 07:30 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to drive a manual everyday. Now for me I think a manual would have to be a weekend car and I would want an auto for a DD.
Old 04-01-17, 12:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On a motorcycle, yes.

In a car, not anymore.
Old 04-01-17, 08:39 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Definitely a fan. Have 6 speed manual in my 3rd car- Audi S5 (wouldn't have bought an automatic in this car). Disappointed that more cars (especially sedans) aren't offered in stick anymore. A lot of it depends on how "easy" the stick is to drive, especially in stop and go traffic. My S5 has a pretty short 1st gear, so in heavy traffic I tend to start in 2nd gear to save myself some shifting. Drove a buddy's brand new M3 6 speed manual today and it was a beast - felt faster than my S5 and was also easier to drive in traffic.

There are certain cars that shouldn't be produced without a manual IMO. I have my S5 for sale but have been thinking about saving it as I personally view it as the most classic S5 design and (my) preferred engine (4.2 V8)- and as autonomous cars take over the world, it would be cool to have something like this in the garage for my kids to occasionally enjoy or make fun of in the future. I also own a 460L and 570 and enjoy the extreme difference in driving experience between all vehicles. I personally prefer the Lexus experience, but occasionally a ride in the S5 initiates a grin on my face that can't be duplicated by anything else. The nostalgia of running through gears, albeit at a much faster pace now, is special to me.
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??-s5-autotrader6.jpg   Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??-s5-autotrader2.jpg   Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??-s5.jpg  
Old 04-01-17, 08:42 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I do but my commute is 50 miles one way in traffic so it just won't do
Old 04-02-17, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Up until early last year, my two previous daily drivers were manual 5 speed Honda Civics. The '92 SC is automatic and the now daily hand-me-down from the wife is an LS430.
5 speed civic to lexus ls430 is quite a switch.
Old 04-02-17, 11:06 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

heres my friend who prefers a stick also! White mustang notch...
Old 04-02-17, 11:28 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I always had manual shift when I had Bimmers quite a while. With Lexus RX, I don't think it matters.

Quick Reply: Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??