Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3 Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 06:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
People need to relax. Those pictures were from the launch a year ago. We will have wait and see. Hopefully, they fully shed the Mercedes controls.
Do you really think their 40k car will be BETTER than their 150k car (material and build quality inside)? Even it matches the model S, it is still pretty embarrassing for a 40k car. I'd take the new ES over it all day.

Don't give a crap about acceleration (especially since it pretty much dies off after 4-5 launches from every account I've heard) and the whole fuel economy thing goes out the window when you're spending over 40k on a car.
Old 03-28-17, 06:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ There are worse people they could be getting their window buttons and switches from than Benz. Of course all this stuff(buttons/stalks) is so much better in all cars now days there isn't much of a difference in feel/look.

Main thing I hate is that steering wheel. Why is it freaking square??? I mean was the Austin Allegro their design inspiration on that bit??

Old 03-28-17, 10:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Completely hideous.
Old 03-28-17, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

First pic looks photoshopped. I wouldn't count your chickens yet.
Old 03-29-17, 07:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

maybe a lot of it is done by voice so thus no buttons?

oh and that interior is at least easy to dust off.
Old 03-29-17, 07:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People need to relax.
CL lost its chill long time ago. It's a *****-fest most of the time.

But regarding the topic: Even as a prototype,, I like the minimalistic look. Add all the "regular" stuff in the future (steering wheel controls, stalks for wipers/signals, and cleaning up the infotainment screen to something less tacked-on), and you'll get a contemporary design that functions.
Old 03-29-17, 09:56 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Tesla interiors (S and X) are pretty low-rent for their price point, and it only gets worse for the Model 3.

Tesla fans will proclaim it as "minimalist," but that's just a spin job on a pretty bad looking interior. Volvo, Audi, and BMW are "minimalist," this is more Saturn Ion 2.0.

Anyhow, as somebody who used to sell Teslas in college and therefore has a decent grasp of their client base, I doubt this will matter one bit to them. Tesla fans are overwhelmingly "techies" who care more about their gadgets and being early adopters to new technology than things like interior quality, fit-and-finish, reliability, and driving dynamics. They aren't "car guys" like us; they wish for a car to drive them around, not the other way. Nothing wrong with that, but anybody predicting this will impact the future success of the Model 3 is kidding themselves. Tesla fans are like a cult.
Old 03-29-17, 09:59 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People need to relax. Those pictures were from the launch a year ago. We will have wait and see. Hopefully, they fully shed the Mercedes controls.
I believe OP's post was made in light of tweets from Elon Musk yesterday which basically hinted that the prototype interior will carry over into the final production model. So you can count on this being pretty close to the real thing.

They had to cut corners somewhere to get this at a reasonable price, and they figured why not the interior cause their clients overwhelmingly don't care for high quality materials and things of that nature. I believe very few, if any, automakers know their clients as well as Tesla knows theirs.
Old 03-29-17, 10:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

How come I don't hear people complain about fingerprints on the tesla screen while for lexus touchscreens, people hate it to death?

Regarding that tesla 3 prototype(?) interior, let's say it will be so much easier to clean
Old 03-29-17, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So I take it everything is operated via the screen? So what happens when you're getting hot and busy with your gf and her leg smashes through the screen? (happened to a guy on the 2IS forums around 2008/2009 hah). You're going to end up with a $50,000 brick.

Old 03-29-17, 01:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So I take it everything is operated via the screen? So what happens when you're getting hot and busy with your gf and her leg smashes through the screen? (happened to a guy on the 2IS forums around 2008/2009 hah). You're going to end up with a $50,000 brick.
... or sticks a corner of that tablet into her thigh? I seem to remember reading that there was some campaign back in the 1950s/1960s to get rid of sharp, protruding edges on the instrument panel to prevent body punctures.

That aside, I do not like touchscreen controls. I believe that they are a current fad that will eventually be replaced by the trusty buttons and dials and sliders. They are head-down rather head-up systems: Frequently-used controls for HVAC and radio, for example, are difficult to find while driving, worse than a sea of common-sized buttons, IMO. There is no mechanical feedback so it is difficult to determine if a control has been accessed. Individual soft-button controls are difficult to aim at, and press, while driving. Touchscreen controls are just an ergonomic mess.
Old 03-29-17, 03:32 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Those pics are from Alpha vehicle, but I was hoping at least Tesla will add HUD or another screen for speedometer. Final car will have one screen matching the alpha design according to Elon's tweets.
Old 03-29-17, 03:41 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Those pics are from Alpha vehicle, but I was hoping at least Tesla will add HUD or another screen for speedometer. Final car will have one screen matching the alpha design according to Elon's tweets.
don't hold your breath:

http://mashable.com/2017/03/29/elon-.../#9t98KxsayOqT

https://www.inverse.com/article/2970...hboard-is-fine

https://www.inverse.com/article/2970...hboard-is-fine
Old 03-29-17, 06:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Do you really think their 40k car will be BETTER than their 150k car (material and build quality inside)? Even it matches the model S, it is still pretty embarrassing for a 40k car. I'd take the new ES over it all day.
I wouldn't count this out; they know they have issues on the interior of the Model S for its price point. So they make a nice interior for the Model 3, and on the next update to the Model S, they kick up the interior to the next level. Or even upgrade it to coincide with the intro of the Model 3. It would be pretty stupid to dumb down the interior of the Model 3 to purposely keep the interior of all their cars substandard. At some point, they need to evolve.
Old 03-29-17, 06:23 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember how people would mock certain brands for being an appliance?

Well, this is what a real appliance looks like.

The barebones of it all is insulting. It's plain upholstery with a fuggin Ipad in the middle.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 Interior