Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Gonna be waiting a while, I don't believe they have any plans to dramatically rework the LX until after 2020.
Old 03-28-17, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

For a purchase, IMO, there are better ways to spend 100K. But, in Steve's case, he's leasing, not buying, so, in general, he's only paying for the projected 2-3 year depreciation....not the full value. That also minimizes the rather high likelihood of mechanical or electrical problems. And he's correct about the Britishness of the RR interior and the Queen-Elizabeth-grade materials, though, overall, I don't think it's quite as impressive inside as some older Jaguars with the Connally leather and large swaths of genuine wood trim. Most newer Jags (all but the flagship XJ sedan) have lost that classic British look and feel inside, trading it for a more Teutonic look. The Jaguar F-Pace, which is their SUV, has nowhere near the RR's plushness (and, for that matter, nowhere near the RR's price). The Porsche Cayenne is extremely well-made, and uses excellent materials, but would probably be too sport-oriented, especially in the turbo version, for what Steve is looking for. The tank-like Mercedes G-Wagon is an absolute brute on wheels, and will go almost anywhere, under any conditions, but is unrefined, and is essentially derived from a German/Austrian military design that is almost 40 years old.

For a long time, RRs were difficult to get in this area because they simply were not in stock, but a quick check of several local dealers in the D.C. area shows at least some availability. They are all nice dealerships (at least from what I've seen of them)...particularly the ones in North Bethesda and Chantilly. The one at Tysons is also nice, but the traffic there is horrendous...test-drives are a PITA. For a good test-drive, I'd recommend Chantilly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 07:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I have one friend with one who loves his and another traded his in and pledges to never lease another. Same can be said of so many cars.

They're not interesting to me but I understand the appeal to others.
Old 03-28-17, 07:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

Over the past four years or so I've bought a Range Rover and my two Jags (F Type and XJL) All have been reliable and easy to own. I sold the RR to get my F Type (as I had my truck too), and I miss it. I had the HSE Lux with the V8. I think about getting a new one often. The Range Rover is hands down best in its class. If you have an opportunity to do the Range Rover owner drives, you will get a glimpse into the astonishing capability of the vehicle.

Last edited by swajames; 03-28-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I forgot to mention...they gave me the most incredible brochure that I've ever seen. It's a hardcover bound 150 page book! Never seen such a thing. Lots of carmakers anymore don't even give any brochures.

Yeah those owner drives look great, my friend is planning on attending one.
Old 03-28-17, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
One thing I forgot to mention...they gave me the most incredible brochure that I've ever seen. It's a hardcover bound 150 page book! Never seen such a thing. Lots of carmakers anymore don't even give any brochures.
In most cases, they're there....if not out in plain view, you just have to ask for one. Sometimes it can also be downloaded on-line.
Old 03-28-17, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of companies don't use them anymore, they rely on the internet. I do ask. I like a good brochure, I have a big collection of them I've been adding to since I was a kid. Something about seeing the pictures and all in print is preferable to me than the internet.

But it I have never been given a book like this.
Old 03-28-17, 08:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Great review. We are looking to replace our GX soon and my wife loved the LR4 and we are hoping the new discovery looks good to her as it could be her next SUV. What kind of discounts are you seeing with Land Rovers, I've heard in our area it is tough to get much off MSRP.
Old 03-28-17, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The new Discovery is very nice. I haven't driven it yet but I saw it and sat in it at the car show, and like I said I have another friend who should have hers in a few weeks. No discount on that obviously. RRS we could have gotten $3k or so off a 16, MSRP for 17s. Range Rover we were able to get $2,000 off a 2017, and that was hard fought.

Compare that to a 2017 S550 where $15k off is easy lol
Old 03-28-17, 10:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I think there are far nicer SUV's for the money. In my eye, you are really paying for the name and psychological aspects. But in the end, it's a tall box with dated exterior styling and a troublesome interior. There are better choices out there.
Best wishes!
Old 03-28-17, 11:02 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying a new Range Rover with cash is one of the worst financial decisions one could make.

Granted I like the Range Rover, I'd just get one 3-5 years old for half to a third of the cost.
Old 03-28-17, 11:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I don't think the Range Rover looks dated at all. Its classy, polished, boxy, nicely detailed, traditional. It looks like what an SUV should look like IMO, none of this mickey mouse swooped back crap like the BMW X6 or that one Benz model I can't think of the name of.

I really wish they'd offer a 17" or 18" wheel option with some off road worthy, big fat sidewall tires though. The 20" wheel looks great, but I'm dubious about the type of tires you can equip it with if you really wanted to go down more than a slippery, snowy slope or a gravel logging road. For those type of situations the 20" wheel is fine, but in the mud, sand, rocks, I have my doubts.
Old 03-29-17, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I don't think it looks dated at all. It's Range Rover looks are a big part of its appeal, IMHO it's a timeless classy look amongst a sea of vehicles that are over styled. Like I said, I've driven a lot of SUVs and it's easily the nicest driving SUV I have ever driven, and the only one that I feel I wouldn't be making significant compromises over a similarly priced sedan in material quality and features.

As for the interior being "problematic", what's problematic about it?

One thing I forgot to mention that I significantly dislike is the rotary **** shifter.

As for wheels, they do have a 19" wheel on the lowest trim. The 20s have very high sidewalls though.
Old 03-29-17, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I don't think it looks dated at all. It's Range Rover looks are a big part of its appeal, IMHO it's a timeless classy look amongst a sea of vehicles that are over styled.
Not only that, but one can actually SEE out of a design like that, and not have to squint through peep-holes.

One thing I forgot to mention that I significantly dislike is the rotary **** shifter.
.............Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seemed to like the one on the Chrysler Pacifica?

As for wheels, they do have a 19" wheel on the lowest trim. The 20s have very high sidewalls though.
Regardless of the actual wheel size, high-sidewalls are mandatory on a dedicated off-roader like the Range Rover. You can't cross creek-beds or scramble over rocks with rubber-band tires.
Old 03-29-17, 07:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I think the RR is a great looking SUV. What appeals to me the most is the understated styling. In this segment/price point a more timeless less is more approach will appeal to the target demographics. It's avoided the over styled look at me styling that can become dated and in need of an update quickly

Quick Reply: Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE