Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE

So I might have just driven my next vehicle.

Friend of mine just leased a new 2017 Range Rover HSE TD6 (which is the diesel). I helped her negotiate it and so I know all the numbers, lease terms, the deal we were able to get etc (they don't just throw money at you like they do a big sedan...lemme tell you). I have never really spent a lot of time around the big Range Rover, I know the Sport well, I've looked at them for myself and I've helped friends negotiate deals on them. I also have a friend who is about to take delivery of one of the first in the US new Land Rover Discoverys. Looking at hers I really like it a lot, so I decided to drive one yesterday when I had a little time before an appointment close by a Land Rover dealer. Had been a long time since I drove a full Range Rover (never this generation).

So here are the thoughts of a flagship luxury sedan buyer who has always considered doing a Crossover/SUV but has never quite been able to pull the trigger. In short, this is the vehicle that might do it for me. I drove my LS460 on the same test loop afterwards before heading to my appointment.

Exterior: The vehicle I drove was a 2017 HSE model V6 petrol in aintree green metallic, sticker was about $98,000. So...a relatively low optioned model which would be what I would want. The HSE trim is really a must have, and most dealers only stock the HSE as base. The HSE gets you the 20" wheels which on a vehicle this big is a must, the oxford leather, the bright exterior trim are just must haves. Exterior styling IMHO is great, its square and true to its Range Rover roots but still smooth and modern. Love the camera like lenses in the headlamp housings, love the flat roof with available contrast paint color. I love the pinched back look in the rear. Just an endlessly classy looking vehicle IMHO. There was a fairly base S550 there also at the time (no sport package which does a lot for the S Class) and IMHO it really did look ordinary there next to the Range Rovers. All the exterior trim is high quality, gloss painted as you would expect.

Sample of what I drove:

Interior:

This has been a big impediment to me really considering an SUV. In my experience the quality of interior materials and fittings in a comparably priced SUV to a sedan are a step below. Great example of this is an LX570 vs an LS460. The LX has significantly cheaper plastics and materials in lower and mid door and dash areas than the LS, dash materials are a cut below, and the top of the dash in the LX even has fake stitching, which you don't find on the LS. As somebody who really appreciates high quality materials and dislikes cheap feeling materials, this is a big issue. Even the Audi Q7 which I loved the drive of, overall the interior just doesn't feel as special as what you can find in a sedan for that money. For the most part, this is not an issue with the Range Rover. Seat leather is very high quality, quality wood trim abounds, all the interior materials are padded and rich feeling, including the lower B pillars which is a telling test for me. Most switchgear feels very high quality, although the steering wheel mounted shift paddles feel plasticky and cheap. I also felt the plastic surround of the infotainment screen felt a little cheap. The carpeting in the Range Rover is the best I've seen in any car, really it reminds me more of residential carpeting. Is it as striking as an S550 inside, or a new 7? Or even my LS? No, but it has a quality and a utility about it which is good and unique.

Seats are big and upright, very comfortable. Tall setbacks with adjustable headrests allow me to rest my head against the headrest while driving which I like. I was able to do that in GS with the articulating backrest, but can't in the LS. Seat leather is very good quality. Headlining is a little more utilitarian woven type material where in my LS I have a softer more attractive fabric IMHO, I know alcantara is available as it is in flagship sedans. Headlining is similar to what you find in lower spec S550s and 740s. I think base headlining the LS has an advantage. Big panoramic sunroof.

Rear seat room is very good, not quite as much raw legroom as you find in a flagship sedan (even my SWB LS) but so much volume it makes up for it. Cargo area is very good, with a trick power split tailgate/liftgate.

Tech is HUGELY improved with their new for 17 infotainment system. Its among the best in the business now with a widescreen, snappy feedback. Full TFT gauge cluster is also improved from before with better graphics, and an Audiesque full map view option in the gauge cluster, although the system overall isn't as visually appealing as Audis virtual cockpit. But, their previous system was horrible and this is a huge upgrade.

Ride and Drive:

I love the seating position in these, you sit upright and have a commanding view all around you through huge windows, you look out over a big flat hood, you really feel invincible on the road. Ride is very quiet at highway speeds which begets the vehicle's size and boxy shape, I would say not quite as quiet as the LS...but close. Quietest SUV I have ever driven without a doubt. Ride is supple and smooth, without any trucky feel or side to side thrashing which I had with the Jeep. Overall, I was amazed by how light it felt! You can feel the all aluminum architecture, and compared to say a Lexus LX570 that feels like a behemoth. When I drove the LX I felt I wouldn't be able to live with its heft and size on a daily basis. downtown in the city, etc. Do not feel that way about the Range Rover. Definitely a vehicle that I could live with every day, and one that feels smaller than it is. Ridewise, not quite as isolating as the LS, but close. Again, easily the nicest riding SUV I have ever driven.

Power from the 380HP Supercharged V6 was fine. I would like to drive the diesel, because with the hammer down I wouldn't call it "effortless power", but the powertrain is quite refined. As refined as the V8 in the LS? No, but I would say 75% as refined. Under normal driving it feels fine, but when you are on it ir feels a little coarse and strained, and at startup and idle not as refined as the V8. The Supercharged V8 RR model would be out of my price range. My friend bought the TD6 because she felt it was quieter and smoother, I'd like to give that a whirl. I6 in the 740 is smoother and more refined, as is clearly the V8 750, S550, LS460. I would say the TTV6 in the Genesis G90 is a little smoother as well. Would it keep me from buying the vehicle? No.

So in closing, is it as smooth and quiet and refined as a good flagship luxury sedan? No, not quite...but damn close and enough so that somebody like me could definitely get onboard. When you consider its as close as it is AND it can ford a 33" deep river AND climb a mountain, thats a pretty incredible thing.

So in short, I could definitely see myself in one of these. They are expensive, optioned the way I would want while still being very conservative it comes to about $100k. You're in an S550 for what you would pay for one of these for sure. Leasewise very similar, although I would have to buy for tax purposes.

Intriguing though, special vehicle.
Old 03-28-17, 01:27 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

My wife is in the market for a large SUV and I've always asked her to at least test drive the RR (we have a dealership ~5 miles away for potentially-frequent-service/repair-visits...hehe) but she has steadfastly refused time after time simply because of the perceived reliability. I'm thinking if I get a CPO one that may be a short-mid-term decent decision should it come down to it. Glad you were able to validate that, despite pre-conceived reliability woes, the RR is a stoutly built vehicle that deserves a look!
Old 03-28-17, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
but she has steadfastly refused time after time simply because of the perceived reliability. !
Perceived or real reliability issues? Range Rover is notorious for problems, however I am not sure if leases really have an issue as they don't own the vehicle and rarely keep them outside the warranty period. I would be downright terrified to own a Range Rover from everything that I have read and heard. I cannot find the article, but I read an article where National Geographic photographers would bill the magazine for their Range Rover expedition vehicles, they would bring along a mechanic for repairs in the field.

For the money, I would get a Toyota Land Cruiser V8 for the exclusivity alone.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-28-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Would I want to own one for 10 years? No lol. But I know enough people with modern Land Rovers that have been fine. For a 3-4 year lease I wouldn't be worried. The woman I mentioned has had two prior to this one, an LR3 and an LR4, she kept each for 5 years and traded with no significant problems.

I haven't driven a Land Cruiser but no way would I choose an LX over a RR having driven both. For drivability alone the difference is huge.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-28-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 02:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The LX is old now anyways, I think there is a new model coming out next year. I also HATE the big spindle grill they stuck on it a couple years ago, looks ridiculous.

The thing that always impresses me about Range Roonies is the seating position and comfort. Love that upright feel, the superior view of the road, the excellent all around visibility. Interiors are damn nice as well, in the fine British tradition of making really nice furniture.

Things that don't impress me on the RR are the electronics and the air suspension. I know the air suspension on the last gen RR was failure prone(even at low miles in warranty) and extremely expensive to fix. I don't know if the current model is any better in this regard.

I'd say you'd be safe leasing one and getting rid of it. But this is why you don't buy an older one without a warranty:

Old 03-28-17, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't heard any reports of air suspension issues on the new ones...this model has been out since 2013.

Electronics if you mean the infotainment it's all new for 2017 and much better.
Old 03-28-17, 03:28 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The LX is old now anyways, I think there is a new model coming out next year. I also HATE the big spindle grill they stuck on it a couple years ago, looks ridiculous.

The thing that always impresses me about Range Roonies is the seating position and comfort. Love that upright feel, the superior view of the road, the excellent all around visibility. Interiors are damn nice as well, in the fine British tradition of making really nice furniture.

Things that don't impress me on the RR are the electronics and the air suspension. I know the air suspension on the last gen RR was failure prone(even at low miles in warranty) and extremely expensive to fix. I don't know if the current model is any better in this regard.

I'd say you'd be safe leasing one and getting rid of it. But this is why you don't buy an older one without a warranty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNO6p54bUI
My neighbor had a Range Rover along with an old Acura Legend. He went to trade it in (early 2000's model), under 100k, but our local Land Rover dealership wasn't interested in taking the trade. Not only did I think that was unusual, it put me off from RR. I then went to Carmax just to see what they had in RRs to see what the older ones were going for, the rep there stated if the RR has over 60k they don't take them. Too many issues.
Old 03-28-17, 03:34 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I might get crap for my post but honestly idc. If I was in the market for a SUV I would no doubt get a lx570 right away. IMHO it looks way better inside out. Also it looks way more manly the Range Rover looks very soft in comparison. I know the lx is the Lexus version of the land cruiser which I don't mind cause the lc is a fine truck but the lx is just way better. I know rr isn't owned by ford anymore but there suvs look very similar. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-17, 03:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course you would lol
Old 03-28-17, 03:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I have no interest at all about British made vehicles due to horrible experience with them in my younger days. I think their reliability is way below average. There is Land Rover, Jaguar dealer at stone's throw from my home. Every time I get test drive invitations from them but I never respond. Personally I hate car buying and visiting dealership for service. Maybe because I know something about automobiles in general, specially 12V mobile electronics.. The less I visit them, the better it'll be. Within 5 mile radius I can go any luxury brand dealership in 10 mins. or so. My old Bimmer X5 was sold by a BMW delaership. Next door is Lexus dealership where I got my Hybrid RX. My next vehicle will probably be my last one in this life, down sizing as well from two to one vehicle. Wife will be able to drive bit longer than I due to our age difference.
I have to pick a vehicle she feels comfortable with. One of neighbor in our Cul de Sac drives Jaguar. He just picked up new SUV and something went wrong in a few days. Waiting for parts sitting at dealership lot. I heard it'll take couple months to get the parts. Not good for a brand new vehicle.
Old 03-28-17, 03:45 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course you would lol
Wait in all seriousness I truly would. I kid you not this gen come out when? Around 2009 feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and since then I've had the desire to own a lx in my life and hopefully in the future I will have one along with a ls. Quick question for everyone 2017 lx or escalade? And why
Old 03-28-17, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My question is have you driven either an LX or a Range Rover? I've driven both, IMHO from a day to day drivability standpoint the RR is far superior. The LX feels heavy and ponderous and difficult to live with, while the RR is none of those things, I was really surprised by how light and easy to drive it was. Feels much smaller than it is while the LX feels bigger IMHO. Interior quality is much better in the RR also.

Reliability is a serious concern if you're going to keep it, but I wouldn't keep it more than 3 years. My LS I would put 150k on no concerns, same with an LX. If you were going to tow I might think longer about the LX.

Part of it for me is I'm ready for something different this time I think, or just keep what I have vs getting another Lexus.

LX or Escalade? I'd pick the Range Rover lol
Old 03-28-17, 03:57 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

My question is have you driven either an LX or a Range Rover? I've driven both, IMHO from a day to day drivability standpoint the RR is far superior. The LX feels heavy and ponderous and difficult to live with, while the RR is none of those things, I was really surprised by how light and easy to drive it was. Feels much smaller than it is while the LX feels bigger IMHO. Interior quality is much better in the RR also.

Reliability is a serious concern if you're going to keep it, but I wouldn't keep it more than 3 years. My LS I would put 150k on no concerns, same with an LX. If you were going to tow I might think longer about the LX.

Part of it for me is I'm ready for something different this time I think, or just keep what I have vs getting another Lexus.

LX or Escalade? I'd pick the Range Rover lol
Come on I know your out for Lexus and love rr now, but from the two caddy or lx. And btw you have to keep in mind this gen lx is quite long in the tooth now but still looks amazing with the extensive refresh. And the actual truck like feel is what is so attractive about the lx along with its sexy a*s looks not many trucks have that these days. And over all call me what you like but I love Lexus and don't see myself in another car.
Old 03-28-17, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Please don't take my thread to this place lol. I am not out for Lexus, I just prefer the Range Rover in that segment vs the LX.

Escalade vs LX? I would choose the LX. The Escalade is too flashy/rapper chic for me.

I don't want a truck like vehicle.
Old 03-28-17, 04:05 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Please don't take my thread to this place lol. I am not out for Lexus, I just prefer the Range Rover in that segment vs the LX.

Escalade vs LX? I would choose the LX. The Escalade is too flashy/rapper chic for me.

I don't want a truck like vehicle.
I promise I'm not lol. I just expressing my opinion is all. Not looking for fights
And who knows maybe the next gen lx won't be as truck like. Just a waiting game.

Quick Reply: Feeling the pull of the SUV...drove a 2017 Range Rover HSE