Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
So, when is the minivan SUV category coming?

I mean it looks like an SUV, but has sliding rear doors

25 years ago, in the early 1990s, we had a somewhat smaller version of that with a set of Mitsubishi-designed triplets...the Mitsubishi Expo / Plymouth Colt Vista / Eagle Summit Wagon. They were compact-car-based, but were smaller than typical minivans. Oddly (and I never understood why...except to offer a choice among the brands)...the Mitsubishi version had conventional doors, while the Plymouth and Eagle versions had a rear sliding door on the rear-passengers' side.

(And, gosh, was their handling lousy....they rolled like a beach ball and cornered on their outside door handles at the slightest steering-input. I was shocked the first time I test-drove an Expo).

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 07:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Not just sliding doors but a completely flat floor in the rear so that when seats are removed or folded into the floor, there is a flat floor and full height in the rear. The flat floor is what really differentiates a minivan from a CUV/SUV; it is what allows the minivan to have the large, open cargo area, and the ease of entering and exiting the vehicle, especially from the 3rd-row.
Old 03-26-17, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Not just sliding doors but a completely flat floor in the rear so that when seats are removed or folded into the floor, there is a flat floor and full height in the rear. The flat floor is what really differentiates a minivan from a CUV/SUV; it is what allows the minivan to have the large, open cargo area, and the ease of entering and exiting the vehicle, especially from the 3rd-row.
Underfloor-folding seats are often difficult to do with AWD, particularly on minivans.
Old 03-27-17, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Underfloor-folding seats are often difficult to do with AWD, particularly on minivans.
The Sienna has them. What you loose is the spare tire on the Sienna with AWD.

The only crossover that has them I can think of is the Explorer.
Old 03-27-17, 06:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Sienna has them. What you loose is the spare tire on the Sienna with AWD.

The only crossover that has them I can think of is the Explorer.
The Sienna AWD does not lose the 3rd-row fold-into-the-floor seat but does lose the spare tire (which is stored under the 2nd-row floor) and the 2nd-row middle seat. If I remember correctly, when Chrysler first came out with the Stow 'n Go 2nd-row seat, they gave up the AWD option, since the wells take up room where the driveshaft would go.

The Explorer -- like all other CUVs -- does have folding 2nd-row seats but they do not fold into the floor (like Chrysler's Stow 'n Go seating); the seatbacks merely fold down flat against the seat cushion.
Old 03-27-17, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What I mean about the Explorer is the third row flips backwards into a well in the floor behind the third row, which is really unusual for a crossover, but you always see in a minivan. That gives you way more space behind the third row when it's deployed which is a major reason minivans have so much more utility.
Old 03-27-17, 08:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think they don't address it because the market is very limited. Originally I thought I wanted that but I wouldn't buy a minivan with AWD now.
Sooo you are ok with front wheel drive? I thought dynamically, especially in the snow it is dangerous.
Old 03-27-17, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Sooo you are ok with front wheel drive? I thought dynamically, especially in the snow it is dangerous.
I don't prefer FWD, but for the application of this minivan it is what it is...its never driven in the snow anyways. If you're going to buy a minivan they're all the same sort of vehicle.

Even in an AWD Sienna, its still a transverse FWD vehicle with a primarily FWD power allocation, the dynamic limitations will remain.

And its not that its "dangerous", it has dynamic limitations that you don't have in a RWD or rear biased AWD vehicle and its important to understand those limitations. Based on the two vehicles I own, it wouldn't be the one I would choose to drive in the snow, no.
Old 03-27-17, 01:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

fwiw - having owned and driven an old subie in lots of snow, which is fwd biased awd, i found no 'dynamic limitations' - it was a blast and very controllable and confidence inspiring.
Old 03-27-17, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
ANYTHING can be dangerous in the snow if you don't drive with common sense.
Old 03-27-17, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Put a FWD skid car into a front skid and try and steer the car, you'll feel differently lol
Old 03-28-17, 10:25 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I am happy to see this 'refresh" of the Sienna as it's current model run has been growing long in the tooth.

I am also considering a Sienna but will at least hold out ( as long as I can) for the entirely NEW Sienna.
Old 03-28-17, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 484 Likes on 321 Posts

I think it's just another case very similar to why TMC doesn't base the RX and ES off more premium rear drive based platforms.
They can, but they see no need to.

The Highlander sells almost 200k units a year, and the Sienna isn't too far behind at nearly 140k units.
Where they differ is maybe in SUV's potential to increase capacity, and the SUV's greater competition.
On the other hand, Sienna/minivans doesn't have as much potential to increase capacity, and Sienna/minivans doesn't have as much competition either.
Old 03-29-17, 10:50 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
I am happy to see this 'refresh" of the Sienna as it's current model run has been growing long in the tooth.

I am also considering a Sienna but will at least hold out ( as long as I can) for the entirely NEW Sienna.
If you can wait (they'll drag this refresh out for probably another 3 years-) for a NEW design, I would.
Old 03-29-17, 11:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota had this at SEMA, Sienna body on top of Tacoma frame

The Ford Explorer concept about 8 years or so ago had sliding doors:

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sienna Gets a Makeover