Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 11:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
@UDel, twice in this thread you've said HX do you mean NX?
Sorry, I meant NX.
Old 03-24-17, 10:42 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And even getting away from the whole "drive wheels" argument, they should be on premium platforms not shared with downmarket Toyotas bottom line.
Not going to happen for any Lexus product, save for RWD models outside of Asia.

The front-wheel drive TNGA-K and TNGA-C are going to be respectively applied to the 2019 ES, 2019 UX, and 2021 NX (model years, not actual release).

Plus that of the 2018 CH-R and 2019 RAV-4 for TNGA-C. The 2018 Camry debuted TNGA-K, like the 2016 Prius did TNGA-C.

Don't know about 2022 RX yet nor the next Highlander (less info on Toyota brand).

TNGA-F will underpin every Toyota and Lexus product that's body-on-frame, starting in 2019. I do not know about any other TNGA applications yet, but that seems to be all that is coming through 2020.

The BMW-Toyota platform is likely not favoured for use by Lexus, for competitive reasons.

TNGA modular architecture does allow for a higher degree of separation between products, but do not expect an Avalon to be 100% different from an ES. They are not doing that, unless for the 8th generation (or discontinuing it in 2024).

What they are doing is clearly calling Lexus platforms as "GA-L" versus TNGA-L, which TN actually stands for "Toyota New", even though they are essentially the same thing.

The LC and LS do both utilize their own applications of GA-L, but the LS is not really a four-door LC sedan, like I keep erroneously hearing (or tongue in cheek) for some silly reason, from journalists that should know better (or execute better research).
Old 03-25-17, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
LOL, amazing how drivers were able to make it in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and early 80's in snowy climates when most cars on the road were RWD and awd barely existed.
Guess what? Many of them DIDN'T make it....at least not without chains or studded tires (and many jurisdictions outlawed studs). Even snow tires, with those cars, were of only limited usefulness.

There's a reason, my friend, why car-based AWD was developed.
Old 03-25-17, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

And its also not a question of just "making it". Modern technologies make everything we do in a car easier and safer. While yes, I could drive my RWD LS400 and LS430 around in the snow. I physically would get where I was going and arrive alive...would I rather drive them in the snow or my AWD LS460? Its not even a question...the 460 is sure footed, easy to drive in the snow, takes the stress out of it and makes me much safer, my passengers much safer, and everybody around me much safer.

Do I *need* AWD? No, but I won't buy another RWD luxury sedan in my location unless I absolutely never ever had to drive it in the snow.
Old 03-25-17, 05:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Back to next gen GS please...
Old 03-25-17, 07:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

This thread is dead in the water.
The next generation Japanese Domestic Market JDM Toyota Crown is coming.
Like the past, the next generation Lexus 5GS is just a "four door coupe" version of that tall spacious soft riding luxury Toyota Crown.

The Crown is Toyota's longest running model line up; it has been on sales since 1955, and there are no signs that the Crown lineage will stop; the Corolla has only been around since 1966.

http://www.batfa.com/new_car_toyota_crown_royal.htm
http://www.batfa.com/new_car_toyota_crown_majesta.htm
http://www.batfa.com/new_car_toyota_crown_athlete.htm

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-25-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 07:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess what? Many of them DIDN'T make it....at least not without chains or studded tires (and many jurisdictions outlawed studs). Even snow tires, with those cars, were of only limited usefulness.

There's a reason, my friend, why car-based AWD was developed.
WTF? (Excuse my language.)

I will have you know that I grew up in the Great White North back in the day when all we drove were big, rear-wheel drive American Iron; this was before the days of small, front-wheel drive Japanese tin-mobiles. In the winter, we put snow tires on the back only (no 4-wheel winter tires) and if we needed more traction, we put bags of sand or salt in the back. We did not use chains nor studs (outlawed in the urban areas), and definitely did not have 4WD (only the big, full-size pickups trucks had 4WD and you had to go wading through the mud or snow to lock up the front hubs to switch to 4WD mode); automatic all-wheel drive was unheard of and is still considered only for the weak of heart.

MOST (if not ALL) of us survived to tell the tale.

AWD is for the "scaredy-cats" and only serves to get you deeper in the ditch.
Old 03-25-17, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

<--- Not a scardy cat, prefer AWD to RWD in the snow lol.
Old 03-25-17, 07:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This thread is dead in the water.
The next generation Japanese Domestic Market JDM Toyota Crown is coming.
Like the past, the next generation Lexus 5GS is just a "four door coupe" version of that tall spacious soft riding luxury Toyota Crown...

so its nice upfront, and then the rear looks like the current GSF
Old 03-25-17, 07:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
so its nice upfront, and then the rear looks like the current GSF
I wouldn't believe these early sketches.
Old 03-25-17, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

I grew up in the Great White North back in the day when all we drove were big, rear-wheel drive American Iron; this was before the days of small, front-wheel drive Japanese tin-mobiles. In the winter, we put snow tires on the back only (no 4-wheel winter tires) and if we needed more traction, we put bags of sand or salt in the back. We did not use chains nor studs (outlawed in the urban areas), and definitely did not have 4WD (only the big, full-size pickups trucks had 4WD and you had to go wading through the mud or snow to lock up the front hubs to switch to 4WD mode); automatic all-wheel drive was unheard of and is still considered only for the weak of heart.

MOST (if not ALL) of us survived to tell the tale.
Apples and Oranges. Getting stuck is (usually) not losing your life....unless you are far away from civilization, with little or no way to communicate, and some grizzlies come up. Also, the type of snow that often falls in northern states is usually drier, fluffy, more powdery, and, in general, less slippery than the wetter, heavier slushier snows that occur further south and, at night, freeze into solid ice.

AWD is for the "scaredy-cats" and only serves to get you deeper in the ditch.
Maybe, maybe not. That depends on the driver's ego, arrogance, and/or overconfidence level. It is very rare to see an Outback get stuck. I owned one...I know why.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Back to next gen GS please...
That seems to be one of this thread's unclear points.....whether there will even be a next-gen GS model or not. Doesn't affect me much, though, since the GS is not a car that is very high on my potential interest-list. I would much rather have an ES....even better, if the ES would consider adding an AWD option, though I can do with FWD.
Old 03-25-17, 08:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The current generation is becoming more and more spoilt.
Today, cell phones are a necessity.
Ditto auto trannies, and AWD...
Old 03-25-17, 08:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm spoiled if I choose to use my hard earned money to pay extra for AWD? Are you serious?
Old 03-25-17, 09:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm spoiled if I choose to use my hard earned money to pay extra for AWD? Are you serious?
You know what I mean JDR.
Decades ago, we got by with no calculator, no PC, no cellphone, no Cesarean deliveries, etc etc.

Today, people must have a calculator to add $2.50 apples to $2.50 oranges = $5 in total.
Today, people must have PC's, cell phones, and even Cesarean deliveries etc.

Today, the mentality is so different.
Spoilt may not be the best word...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-25-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The idea that we are "spoiled" because we want technology to make our lives better is absurd. The reason people "got by" without this technology many moons ago was because it didn't exist. We may not *need* these things, but 95% of what we buy we don't need. We buy things because they make our lives easier, better and more enjoyable.

It's 2017 and I no longer have to drive a RWD LS in the snow. I can drive my far superior AWD LS. Did I survive when I had my RWD LS? Yes. But now getting around in the winter is more enjoyable and easier for me. Yay technology.

Cesarean deliveries?! Seriously. Do you understand that c section deliveries save lives? My wife delivered our twins c section, my daughter who was on the bottom was complete breech. No c section all three of them likely would have died.

Why don't we go back to bloodletting and leeches

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-26-17 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.