Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 01:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/03/...-the-gs-sedan/

According to the January issue of Japanese magazine MAG-X, the Lexus GS may be cancelled after the current generation. Here is a translation courtesy of Lexus Enthusiast member White Beach, though I should point out that this rumor is unsubstantiated and possibly untrue:

And this time again we have the news about the development freeze of the vehicle of TMC. Our scoop department found out that TMC decided to suspend the development of the next generation Lexus GS…But after the close consideration/examination of its image and positioning in the lineup, TMC came to a conclusion that the GS doesn’t/won’t play a desired role in the lineup.

In fact, it is the next generation LS that caused TMC to make this decision. As we have reported, next gen LS has its engine down-sized; the V8 engine to the V6 engine. This means that both the LS and the GS have V6 engine, which causes product overlap in the Lexus’ own lineup. So TMC decided to kick the GS out of the lineup and to fulfill the demand of the customer looking for a large sedan with the LS alone.

When turning to the whole Lexus lineup, all new UX crossover is waiting its debut, so it is possible that they are now sorting out its lineup (in order to concentrate its resources on the new model). We also hear the rumor that TMS is trying to figure out whether it is possible to produce another all new model in exchange for the GS, so there is some chance that they will bring the new vehicle which has a completely new approach/concept.

The next generation GS were planned to debut in 2018, so at least Lexus won’t drop the existing model until 2018. It’s possible that Lexus will extend its model cycle, but it is now unlikely that we will see the next generation GS.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-15-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 01:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Lexus Enthusiast makes it pretty clear it's only a rumor and not a confirmation.

According to the January issue of Japanese magazine MAG-X, the Lexus GS may be cancelled after the current generation. Here is a translation courtesy of Lexus Enthusiast member White Beach, though I should point out that this rumor is unsubstantiated and possibly untrue:
The logic here of two V6 sedans being an issue makes me skeptical of this translated article. I'll wait for something official from Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-15-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 01:19 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

If this article is true then it's very sad but understandable GS sales of the latest models haven't been good.
Old 03-15-17, 01:29 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

GS barely survived 7 years ago, it was close to being canceled. Looks like they are playing with the idea again.
Old 03-15-17, 01:55 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sad day if the rumors are true.. hopefully they'll extend this model
Old 03-15-17, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I highly doubt the GS is going to be canceled. The ES is about the same size but is for the North American market while the GS is for the entire world. Those are a lot of markets available outside the US.. Perhaps cancelling imports to the United States is a possibility.

As for the platform, I thought the whole new Lexus RWD platform was designed to make it easy to make more models off it.
Old 03-15-17, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Take all these 'GS getting canceled rumors' with a grain of salt..

- Lexus has the new scalable Global Architecture Luxury (GAL) platform debuted on the LC and LS. Won't be the last models to use the platform.
- Afraid of overlap?! the 4th generation GS is 191in and the 5th generation LS is 206in.. hahaha yeah sure no room..
- Afraid of only V6 engines? ... 540i.. 740i..
- Mentioned above, some markets don't have both ES and GS
- Let's make the GS F then dump it.. right..
Old 03-15-17, 03:05 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Well they made the IS-F then dropped it in the next gen
Old 03-15-17, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Well they made the IS-F then dropped it in the next gen
The IS F was a skunkworks project and the IS was never meant to have a V8. It was shoehorned in. The next IS F will utilize a version of the F1 derived mill going into the LS500. As for the GS, I posted a picture of the 2013 GS engine bay and stated a V8 would indeed be coming, 3 years later we had the GS F.
Old 03-15-17, 03:25 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Take all these 'GS getting canceled rumors' with a grain of salt..

- Lexus has the new scalable Global Architecture Luxury (GAL) platform debuted on the LC and LS. Won't be the last models to use the platform.
- Afraid of overlap?! the 4th generation GS is 191in and the 5th generation LS is 206in.. hahaha yeah sure no room..
- Afraid of only V6 engines? ... 540i.. 740i..
- Mentioned above, some markets don't have both ES and GS
- Let's make the GS F then dump it.. right..

You cannot follow Lexus logic, sometimes it just isn't there.

4GS maybe 191", but don't forget that Lexus has an ES which is 192.7″ and that's enough to fill the gap between the IS and LS.
Lexus does not always follow the Germans. BMW can afford to keep both, Lexus maybe either cannot or has other thoughts on this subject.
GS-F was not a complete failure, but it has failed, no matter how you look at it.

I think if they do decide to cancel it, the ES will become more luxurious, maybe they'll add an AWD or perhaps an IS will grow by a few inches.
Old 03-15-17, 03:26 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

april fools!

dumb rationale.
The GS does not overlap the LS.
But Sure, sell me a new $50,000 LS, and I'll buy it.!!!

They should make the GS less ugly, but if they have no midsized RWD in the line up, Lexus will be seen as less premium. All their sales being from FWD cars.

The japanese have an epidemic of poor sales in the midsized rwd class........ Infiniti with their **** poor selling M45. Lexus with their poor selling GS.
But if they remove the GS, the outcome will be like Infiniti's. Poor sales of the M45 vs poor sales of the LS.

I have a feeling the 2018 LS will be a poor seller
Old 03-15-17, 03:32 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

how can lexus make the GS desirable like the 5 and E ?
This is something the japanese can't answer

When the current GS came out, I nitpicked about some of its design. like the character line goes limp behind the rear door handles, and overall just doesn't look as premium as the german competitors
Old 03-15-17, 03:33 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
april fools!

dumb rationale.
The GS does not overlap the LS.
But Sure, sell me a new $50,000 LS, and I'll buy it.!!!

They should make the GS less ugly, but if they have no midsized RWD in the line up, Lexus will be seen as less premium. All their sales being from FWD cars.

The japanese have an epidemic of poor sales in the midsized rwd class........ Infiniti with their **** poor selling M45. Lexus with their poor selling GS.
But if they remove the GS, the outcome will be like Infiniti's. Poor sales of the M45 vs poor sales of the LS.

I have a feeling the 2018 LS will be a poor seller
Agreed. The GS looks pretty reduculos - who would want to buy a car that looks so cartoonish?! I agree with the LS prediction too - people don't want to buy ugly cars! It's sad because these are great cars, just wish they didnt look so silly.
Old 03-15-17, 04:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

This has been discussed before. There is a strong possibility of an AWD ES coming soon. Also, the ES is not just a North American market vehicle, as stated earlier. It's not sold in Europe, or Japan, but that could change, too.
Old 03-15-17, 04:29 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sales have been poor so the probability of them cancelling it is possible....the GS just never met the demand, think business...I also don't find it ugly at all but maybe the target market does...

Quick Reply: (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.