UX Models (2019-present)

Lexus UX

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 08:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the exterior and I really think they did a fantastic job on the interior. I am disappointed that you have to go to the hybrid to get AWD though, and was hoping for a bit more in the engine department. I'm sure it will sell well.
Old 03-06-18, 09:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Agreed. I believe the larger engine should have been used. But those in this class aren't focused on power, and considering both the gas and hybrid variants make more than the CH-R, then this might turn out to be just fine for the masses.
The UX isnt competing with the CHR though. Its against Q3s, X1 or X2, GLA. And each of those has a small turbo engine with more power for a slightly higher price. Hopefully, these small engines are for Europe and Asian countries. The U.S. gets a proper engine with some real power. A turbo 1.5-1.6L with 200hp would have sufficed.
Old 03-06-18, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I like the exterior and I really think they did a fantastic job on the interior. I am disappointed that you have to go to the hybrid to get AWD though, and was hoping for a bit more in the engine department. I'm sure it will sell well.
being so much shorter than a corolla i wonder how much rear seat legroom it has... if it's pathetic, i think it will hinder sales.
Old 03-06-18, 09:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
Without AWD is another product fail. Why release a half baked product if it isnt ready? They cannot release a crossover without AWD. The CHR could have at least double in sales with a 4WD system.
Old 03-06-18, 09:21 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The UX isnt competing with the CHR though. Its against Q3s, X1 or X2, GLA. And each of those has a small turbo engine with more power for a slightly higher price. Hopefully, these small engines are for Europe and Asian countries. The U.S. gets a proper engine with some real power. A turbo 1.5-1.6L with 200hp would have sufficed.
I know it's not competing per se, just using it as an example where Toyota is more interested in efficiency and believes that their clientele feels the same, although us enthusiasts feel differently.
Without AWD is another product fail. Why release a half baked product if it isnt ready? They cannot release a crossover without AWD. The CHR could have at least double in sales with a 4WD system.
I believe pushing the hybrid as the AWD is a good idea, given Lexus applies their new hybrid pricing logic and lowers the entry price on the hybrid. More power, AWD, and higher MPG for not much more of the gas variant sounds like a good proposition.
Old 03-06-18, 09:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

From Car and Driver:
Powertrains include a 168-hp 2.0-liter inline-four, which in the UX200 is paired with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT)—not the most exciting combination when stacked up against the 200-hp-plus 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinders found in the competition. At least Lexus claims its new Direct Shift CVT improves power delivery, and this new engine should make for good EPA fuel-economy numbers.

Interestingly, all-wheel drive will be offered only on the UX250h hybrid model. The gas-electric setup uses a new 2.0-liter four-cylinder combined with two electric motors, one powering the front axle and one driving the rear; total output is 176 horsepower. A new technology called Predictive Efficient Drive is said to analyze factors including driving habits and traffic conditions to optimize the level of charge in the nickel-metal-hydride battery pack and that of the regenerative braking system.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-revealed-news
Old 03-06-18, 09:40 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

It’s a awesome looking vehicle. But if lexus really wants to sell a lot of these in the Midwestern, Mid Atlantic and North Eastern regions they are going to have to muster up a FWD bias AWD system. Consumers shopping for these small cute ute’s are convinced they have to have AWD in order to be safe and secure in less than ideal slippery conditions. Hopefully they bring it to the U.S. with 200hp and AWD I can easily see this thing out selling the GLA, and Q3 while running neck and neck with the XC40 and X1.
Old 03-06-18, 11:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Fantastic interior! Very happy to see a direction like this for Lexus.
Old 03-06-18, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Excited for the Hybrid AWD. UX should be a winner for Lexus
Old 03-06-18, 01:47 PM
situman
Pole Position

I know it's not competing per se, just using it as an example where Toyota is more interested in efficiency and believes that their clientele feels the same, although us enthusiasts feel differently.

I believe pushing the hybrid as the AWD is a good idea, given Lexus applies their new hybrid pricing logic and lowers the entry price on the hybrid. More power, AWD, and higher MPG for not much more of the gas variant sounds like a good proposition.
Yea but what about the people the dont want a hybrid, which will probably be a majority of the buyers. Then again, the parasitic drag and weight of AWD on the little 2L will make it a total turd on the acceleration front. This is also why there needs to be a small turbo option or the DF 2.5L as an option.
Old 03-06-18, 01:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interesting hard button additions to the remote touch

Old 03-06-18, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RXSF
interesting hard button additions to the remote touch

thats not a remote. Those are all audio buttons underneath the wrist rest. The RTI ahead of it controls the infotainment screen.
Old 03-06-18, 02:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol yes i know. I consider the entire wrist pad up to the touch pad the RT. Im just saying interesting to add hard buttons near the controller like on bmws.
Old 03-06-18, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Yea but what about the people the dont want a hybrid, which will probably be a majority of the buyers. Then again, the parasitic drag and weight of AWD on the little 2L will make it a total turd on the acceleration front. This is also why there needs to be a small turbo option or the DF 2.5L as an option.
There’s no mechanical link between the front and rear though, just an independent rear motor for on demand AWD. Not as heavy as conventional.
Old 03-06-18, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Agreed. I believe the larger engine should have been used. But those in this class aren't focused on power, and considering both the gas and hybrid variants make more than the CH-R, then this might turn out to be just fine for the masses.
they likely used 2.0l for the US (and it will be 2.0l in the US since we have US press release) to distance it away from NX... same goes for AWD system.

Considering US is not its main market, it should be fine... for Europe, 180hp hybrid seems like a mighty fine choice and 2.0l will be fine for rest of the world.

Quick Reply: Lexus UX