Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible GX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 12:13 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Possible GX purchase

Hello all!
I posted this in the GX area of the forum and thought I would post here as well as there is a much broader spectrum of knowledge and feedback in this area.
Any and all feedback/advice is welcome!

Good day to all!
Before I get into this thread, I'd like to say thank you to all of you ahead of time, as I have been doing some reading (not a whole lot), but some reading on the GX and so far am seeing that this vehicle is a great one.

I am trying to assist my father in seeking an SUV (used) that is comfortable, reliable, decent gas mileage (as he drives a great deal for his job) and will hold up for at least 7-10 years, hassle free.

I have finally managed to convince him that Lexus/Toyota are the brands that he should be looking at and so he has asked for my help.

I am pretty well versed on the LS as I own one, and the good folks in the 4thGen LS area are pretty stellar, but the GX is a totally new animal for me and im hoping that the admiration and honesty is the same here as what I've experienced in the LS area.

Among some of the threads I have read, are some of the more recent threads about prospective buyers seeking advice as well, but I haven't really seen information stating things such as:

-Model years that may have faired better in reliability than others
-What are some of the common issues the GX has experienced and what (if any) issues has Lexus stepped to the plate and correct (TSIB's/recalls, etc), control arms/suspension, actuator, leaks, pumps, noises...
-Do all GX's come with air suspension? if so, is it problematic?
-Are they easy to work on via DIY/indy mechanic
-How easily are aftermarket parts able to be sourced
-Avg. mpg
-Mileage point/cut-off to consider given make/year (for example, in my neck of the woods-LS, we have members who have purchase the 07/08 LS with 90k-130 miles on them with little to no worry or concern at all regarding reliability).

Just a few things I am thinking about off the top of my head.

When he asked my opinion for vehicles he should look at in the SUV category made by Toyota/Lexus, I told him 4Runner and GX, and that a used one of either one would be somewhat near each other price-wise, and if he (I) found a few who were similarly priced (within a few thousand), then the choice would clearly be the GX.
Its been quite some time since he has driven a "nicer" vehicle (past cars, Chevy HHR, old body Impala, Dodge Intrepid, Buick LeSabre, Ford Tempo/LTD). The nicest vehicle he's driven has been a 2002 Tahoe that he leased when they first came out, and most recently, a 2015 Camry hybrid, so this would be a treat to himself, and I'd love to help him source his, not only first Lexus, but really nice vehicle.

As far as budget is concerned, im thinking he'll be around mid teens to early to mid 20's, which isn't a huge budget, but its where he's at.
He's 6'4 and im trying to keep him out of a sedan because he's a bit older with knee and back issues and I just think he *needs* to be in a comfortable SUV, especially given the amount of time he spends in a car (~25k year).

So, I think that's about it. Any questions, feel free to ask, and again, thank you all for reading and assisting me with this journey!
I look forward to reading and interacting with you all.
Old 02-28-17, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If he wants a GX, the first generation is still very sought after. I'd recommend 2007-2009. The 2nd gen 2010 had a few gremlins but were relatively quick to be addressed. If I wanted a 2GX I'd probably go for 2014+ since they added a newer navigation (Gen8 with the full address prompt) and the blind spot monitor option became available. Just my $0.02
Old 02-28-17, 01:10 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 06 GX before, I think GX is very solid, the build quality is also very good, my GX has no any issue.

The maintenance / DIY is also very practical, you can always put GX into Toyota dealer for service and replace some wearable parts, but for interior decoration parts, audio and navigation, you still need to go to Lexus dealer.
GX has air suspension on rear wheels, I saw some people reporting failure after 50k miles, but mine is running fine after 70k.

MPG is poor, but this is truck based SUV, if your foot is a little bit gentle, you still can get 17 - 18 MPG.

The only down side I can think of is the high speed stability, when I drive it over 70 MPH or there is a strong wind, I have to concentrate on the road, and not feel very stable.
Old 02-28-17, 04:19 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Gx is an awesome car but I would vote for the 4 runner, its less maintenance as much reliable as a GX if not more. mid 20 would place you in the 2010+ 4runners which are pretty good. If leaning towards the GX go with the 2nd gen or the 2010+ years.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Hello all!
I posted this in the GX area of the forum and thought I would post here as well as there is a much broader spectrum of knowledge and feedback in this area.
Any and all feedback/advice is welcome!

Good day to all!
Before I get into this thread, I'd like to say thank you to all of you ahead of time, as I have been doing some reading (not a whole lot), but some reading on the GX and so far am seeing that this vehicle is a great one.

I am trying to assist my father in seeking an SUV (used) that is comfortable, reliable, decent gas mileage (as he drives a great deal for his job) and will hold up for at least 7-10 years, hassle free.

I have finally managed to convince him that Lexus/Toyota are the brands that he should be looking at and so he has asked for my help.

I am pretty well versed on the LS as I own one, and the good folks in the 4thGen LS area are pretty stellar, but the GX is a totally new animal for me and im hoping that the admiration and honesty is the same here as what I've experienced in the LS area.

Among some of the threads I have read, are some of the more recent threads about prospective buyers seeking advice as well, but I haven't really seen information stating things such as:

-Model years that may have faired better in reliability than others
-What are some of the common issues the GX has experienced and what (if any) issues has Lexus stepped to the plate and correct (TSIB's/recalls, etc), control arms/suspension, actuator, leaks, pumps, noises...
-Do all GX's come with air suspension? if so, is it problematic?
-Are they easy to work on via DIY/indy mechanic
-How easily are aftermarket parts able to be sourced
-Avg. mpg
-Mileage point/cut-off to consider given make/year (for example, in my neck of the woods-LS, we have members who have purchase the 07/08 LS with 90k-130 miles on them with little to no worry or concern at all regarding reliability).

Just a few things I am thinking about off the top of my head.

When he asked my opinion for vehicles he should look at in the SUV category made by Toyota/Lexus, I told him 4Runner and GX, and that a used one of either one would be somewhat near each other price-wise, and if he (I) found a few who were similarly priced (within a few thousand), then the choice would clearly be the GX.
Its been quite some time since he has driven a "nicer" vehicle (past cars, Chevy HHR, old body Impala, Dodge Intrepid, Buick LeSabre, Ford Tempo/LTD). The nicest vehicle he's driven has been a 2002 Tahoe that he leased when they first came out, and most recently, a 2015 Camry hybrid, so this would be a treat to himself, and I'd love to help him source his, not only first Lexus, but really nice vehicle.

As far as budget is concerned, im thinking he'll be around mid teens to early to mid 20's, which isn't a huge budget, but its where he's at.
He's 6'4 and im trying to keep him out of a sedan because he's a bit older with knee and back issues and I just think he *needs* to be in a comfortable SUV, especially given the amount of time he spends in a car (~25k year).

So, I think that's about it. Any questions, feel free to ask, and again, thank you all for reading and assisting me with this journey!
I look forward to reading and interacting with you all.
Old 02-28-17, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Per request, I did a full-review on a new GX last year. Enjoy:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-lexus-gx.html
Old 02-28-17, 09:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If you are buying a modern Lexus/Toyota, you do not need to be worrying about reliability. They are all well built and long-lasting. Just check any Consumer Reports ratings for proof. And when buying used, newer is almost always going to be more trouble-free. The older you get, the more aging has taken place, causing wear and subsequent failures.
Old 03-01-17, 01:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ somewhat disagree. 2007-2011 of some Lexus and Toyota models, specifically the new designs of that period weren't as buttoned down as years prior. Still good, but loose. Since then there's been a great turnaround making its way through model lines.
Old 03-01-17, 09:25 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I have been looking at the GX for our next vehicle too. I just can't get my wife to get over the barn door in the back. NYC and all.

Ed
Old 03-01-17, 10:14 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I had a 2008 GX and now a 2012 GX which I both bought new. I still love my old 2008 and kind of wish I still had it. I felt it was better built and looked better (although a little outdated now). I like the newer GX for its features and technology but the old GX was great. If you are looking at a first gen GX, the brake calipers tend to seize over time and can be a little costly. On the newer GX, the secondary air pump and valves will go bad (bad design) and is expensive out of warranty and it isn't a matter of if but when that will need to be replaced. The only problem I have ever had with either GX was the secondary air pump and valves on my 2012. Other than that it has been just routine maintenance.
Old 03-02-17, 11:18 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone, thanks a tremendous deal for taking the time to not only read the post but provide a great deal of information as well as food for thought. After reading some great feedback and thinking about it, I shared with my father that I believe his best choice would be to a Highlander hybrid and he agreed.
Thanks again everyone.
I guess while im here and the discussion is open, does anyone have any experience with said vehicle?
Old 03-02-17, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Everyone, thanks a tremendous deal for taking the time to not only read the post but provide a great deal of information as well as food for thought. After reading some great feedback and thinking about it, I shared with my father that I believe his best choice would be to a Highlander hybrid and he agreed.
Thanks again everyone.
I guess while im here and the discussion is open, does anyone have any experience with said vehicle?
I have one and we are very happy with it. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 03-02-17, 11:33 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have one and we are very happy with it. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Ironic that you chimed in, as I was just in the Ridgeline thread and saw that you posted. When I took a look at your signature, I saw that you currently own a Highlander Hybrid. I'll be sending a PM shortly, and thanks for your willingness to help out!
Old 03-02-17, 05:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Here's a bit of a 7 months of ownership, 6500 mile review of my 2016 Highlander Hybrid.

First, for the parts applicable to all Highlanders (not just hybrid):

Positives:
  • Ride quality - quiet and smooth
  • Solidness - no rattles
  • Great features - things like BSM, LDA (2017s have LKA), Dynamic Radar Cruise, Auto High Beams, Heated Steering Wheel, Wiper Heater, Parking Sensors, Panoramic Sunroof, 2nd row Heated Captain's Chairs, Rear HVAC Controls, 7 Passenger Seating, Auto Wipers, Heated Mirrors, Driver's Memory Seating
  • Rear glass opens separate of hatch.
  • Front seats are heated and ventilated, with a driver's side seat cushion extender.
  • Great rear camera with dynamic gridlines
  • Interior storage and ambient lighting is fantastic.
  • Rear seating vents in the ceiling.
  • Rear doors have window shades.
Negatives:
  • No power folding exterior mirrors, nor do they dip down in reverse.
  • No power steering column.
  • 3rd row seat okay for 2 but not 3.
  • Cargo space behind 3rd row is tight, but not an issue with 3rd row stowed.
Hybrid Specific Comments:

Positives:
  • Great fuel mileage - I get 26 in the winter and 28-30 in the warmer months, with a range of nearly 500 miles on a tank of gas.
  • Great range on battery power - with a few downhills for recharging, I can do most of my 5 mile drive home on battery power.
  • Very smooth and quiet operation. While I'm not a fan of CVTs, I don't mind it at all in the Highlander Hybrid.
  • Tons of power and torque on demand with the substantial V6 and the electric motors.
  • Great AWD traction. Took it over the mountains in severe snow conditions and it had no problems whatsoever.
  • No brake dust!
Negatives:
  • The torque steer. Good lord, the torque steer.
  • Steep cost of entry. Ours is a lease so we can break even on the hybrid costs in our lease period, but our Highlander was $52k and my lease payment is higher than that of my GS. Related to this, Highlanders sell like crazy, so negotiations are TOUGH.
That's pretty much it. We are very happy with it. It's been a great family vehicle. Entry and exit with our kids in car seats is simple, as is getting in and out for adults. We traded our RX for it and I have no regrets. Unlike many hybrids, the batteries do not take up any cargo space, and the hybrid version has more power than the non-hybrid version.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-02-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 01:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What would create torque steer on and AWD vehicle? I've never heard of this.
No brakedust? There's still pads making contact with rotors, no? I assume you mean there is more engine braking, keeping the brakes from being used as much?
Old 03-03-17, 05:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What would create torque steer on and AWD vehicle? I've never heard of this.
No brakedust? There's still pads making contact with rotors, no? I assume you mean there is more engine braking, keeping the brakes from being used as much?
You still have the majority of the power routed through the front wheels, in this case all of the gas engine's power plus an electric motor. The rear wheels are electric only.

As as for the brake dust, the vast majority of the braking is done by the regenerative braking. When you brake, you're using all the regenerative braking unless you brake more aggressively. With a gentle foot you can stop without ever using the pads.

Quick Reply: Possible GX purchase