Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX

Per CL-member request, a review of the 2016 Lexus GX460.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX

IN A NUTSHELL: Essentially the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (150 series) dressed up in a Tux.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Infiniti QX60, Mercedes GL, BMW X5, Audi Q5/Q7, Volvo XC60, Lincoln MKX, Cadillac SRX/XT5, Land Rover LR-4, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and some upper-level versions of the Jeep Grand Cherokee).

(However, it should be noted that most (not all) of these competitors are crossover, car-based SUVs.....the GX460 and Toyota 4Runner are truck-based SUVs)

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

OVERVIEW:

The Lexus GX has been around for some time, having been introduced in 2002 as a 2003 model. In the American market, It is essentially an upscale version of the less-expensive Toyota Prado, which is related to the rugged Toyota 4Runner but on a slightly different platform. In some other countries, it is marketed as the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 series. It has always, through both of its generations, been a truck-based, body-on-frame vehicle, as opposed to the more common unibody/car-based SUV design, since Lexus intends it to be a true off-roader. However, even as a true off-roader, it has been overshadowed somewhat throughout the years by the hype that the big (and substantially more expensive) Toyota Land Cruiser and LX570 get, even though the Land Cruiser and LX son't sell in many numbers in the American market because of their high prices. Overseas, though, in Third-World countries, and particularly in the Middle East and North Africa with its forbidding heat and deserts, all of the Toyota/Lexus trucks and off-road-capable SUVs tend to sell quite well....even deplorable terrorist groups in that region seem to depend on them to drive their personnel around. In the U.S., of course, the off-road and mountain-goat capabilities of the GX/Prado are not widely used. GX models here, like most other mass-produced SUVs, are primarily used ether for soccer-mom duties, suburban shopping, or for getting around in bad weather on paved or slightly-rutted roads. Sales of the GX, in the U.S., have also never come anywhere near those of its tremendously popular RX cousin, which wrote the book on how to do a mid-sized, luxury-grade, unibody, crossover SUV. One thing, however, that the RX still lacks (even in its all-new, controversially-styled 4th-generation design), and that many prospective car-based SUV buyers today are clamoring for now, is a third-row seat. That will (reportedly) be addressed when Lexus brings out the future all-new TX crossover-unibody SUV in another year or so, for the 2018 model year, and it will have the third-row seat in a crossover SUV that both Lexus buyers and dealers are clamoring for. The current GX, of course, DOES have a third-row seat (always did)....but that doesn't seem to be what buyers today want (they want the third-row seat in a car-based SUV, not truck-based). So, next year, with the TX, they will get what they want. Given the relatively low sales in the American market of the GX, and the fact that the larger, more expensive LX also has a third-row seat and a rugged truck-based frame for serous off-roading, the GX is likely to be dropped from the American market when the TX is introduced next year. So, if you want a GX, or are seriously interested in one, now's your chance.

For 2016, The GX comes in three trim-lines....Base ($50,780), Premium ($55,225), and Luxury ($62,155). One engine is offered, the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus 4.6L V8 of 301 HP and 329 ft-lbs.of torque, and one transmission....a six-speed Sport-shift automatic. Full-time 4WD with a locking Torsen differential is standard......there are no 2WD versions. Like the Toyota 4Runner/Prado and its larger, 200-series Toyota Land-Cruiser/Lexus LX570 brothers, this is a true, body-on-frame, off-roader........if needed, it is designed for far more than just getting you to the store in bad weather.

For the review, as usual, I sat in, and sampled, a few different interiors, and, for the actual test-drive, a base-version in Pearl White without many options. Since this is not an inexpensive vehicle even in the base version, I wanted to see what Lexus actually gave you for 50-55K. Not bad, it turns out......and it did seem to drive better, with more refinement, than the last GX I sampled about 5 years or so ago, which I wasn't terribly impressed with. Even though the GX has not had a major redesign since then (except for the Lexus spindle-grille the company seems obsessed with), I noticed better refinement in this latest 2016 version. But more on that later.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2016 Lexus GX460

BASE PRICE: $50,780

OPTIONS:

Blind-Spot/Cross-Traffic Alert: $800

Navigation Package: $1530

Cargo Mat/Wheel Locks: $260

Tow-Hitch Package: $599

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $950 (reasonable for an SUV this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $54,919

DRIVETRAIN: Full-time 4WD with off-road capabilities, Longitudinally-mounted 4.6L V8, 301 HP @ 5500 RPM, Torque 329 ft-lbs. @ 3500 RPM, six-speed Sport-shift automatic, locking Torsen differential.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 15 City, 20 Highway, 17 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Starfire (White) Pearl

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Refined drivetrain except for somewhat jumpy throttle.

Good wind and road-noise control.

Decent (but not excellent) ride comfort by truck-based SUV standards.

Rugged, truck-based, body-on-frame design means good towing and off-road capability.

Large outside mirrors help with visibility.

Extremely comfortable NuLuxe front seats.

Superb NuLuxe imitation leather....arguably the best imitation I've seen.

Good interior fit/finish.

Generally impressive interior materials, with a couple of small exceptions.

Solid sheet metal and exterior trim.

Excellent headroom/legroom both front and rear.

(Mostly) easy-to-use controls/displays.

Relatively good vision out the back/sides.

Well-trimmed cargo area.

A real spare tire/wheel assembly.

Long record of excellent reliability.

White Pearl paint does not cost extra like on many vehicles.

MINUSES:

Gas-guzzling MPG.

Weight and bulk take some toll on performance.

Jumpy throttle/gas-pedal takes some getting used to.

Rather slow steering response, with body roll.

Firm ride and porposing under some conditions.

Third-row seat useless for adults.

Lousy (IMO) exterior paint-color choice.

Body-side moldings/grooves a little too low for best door-protection.

Tail-gate swings out on the wrong side for American-market traffic.

(Possible) high depreciation from Lexus TX replacement next year.

EXTERIOR:

With the big new spindle grille that has been added on the latest GX version, there is no mistaking it as a Lexus SUV (or a general member of the Lexus family). Other then that, the general exterior styling is pretty much an up-scaled version of the lower-priced Toyota Prado, which is not sold in the American market (the Toyota 4Runner is similar to the Prado in a number of areas but is a slightly different platform). Like the Prado and 4Runner, the GX is tall, boxy, roomy/space-efficient inside, and with relatively good visibility out the windows to the back and sides (conservative SUV styling does pay off in several areas). The quality of the exterior sheet metal seems pretty solid, the doors all close with a firm and precise thunk, the exterior trim is of good quality and firmly-attached, and quality of the paint job is the usual high Toyota/Lexus standard. Seven exterior colors are offered (not a lot for a 50K+ vehicle), and, IMO, about the only one not fit for the morgue was the White Pearl on my test-car. At least the White Pearl paint did not cost extra like it does on a number of other vehicles, both expensive and inexpensive ones. There are large, thick grooves/chrome-mouldings built into the side doors, but they are somewhat too low for best parking-lot protection....and underneath them are nice built-in running-boards, which not only help short people get in and out from the vehicle's high stance, but also helps protect the lower-body paint from gravel and road debris. Both outside mirrors are quite large and help with visibility along each side.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid hood (the hood itself feels light but still solid, as if it were made of aluminum), and on the underside of the hood is a nice thick insulation pad (which seems to work, as I'll get to later). A nice set of gas struts holds the hood up for you (struts or springs to hold up the hood should be standard in all vehicles, IMO). The relatively big, longitudinally-mounted 4.6L V8 fits in the compartment rather tightly, and a silver plastic engine cover blocks some top-engine access, but, fortunately, is not large or wide enough to block access to components on either side of it. The battery is off to the right, uncovered, up front, with easy access, but, like with a number of other Toyota/Lexus products, seems to have screw-off caps for manually adding water to the cells....in other words, a trip back to the 1970s, when Maintenance-Free batteries first started to appear. All of the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid reservoirs, as usual, were relatively easy to find and access. This is a relatively high-stance vehicle, though, so even things under the hood that are relatively easy to reach for a tall person may be more difficult for a shorter person having to lean over the tall fenders and grille.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the GX more or less echoes the basic theme of most newer Lexus products, with thin horizontal wood strips, a general horizontal theme, polished wood-tone and brushed-metal-finished plastic on the console, a zig-zag shifter, large rotary-***** for stereo-tuning, large round (and easily-legible) gauges, a three-spoke (or four-spokes imitating three) wood/leather-covered steering wheel, and large, well-labelled buttons. Most of the interior fit/finish is excellent. And most of the interior hardware was of good solid quality (unlike what I have seen on some other newer Lexus models), though the glove box door/latch and come of the small flip-open compartment lids felt a little on the flimsy side. The ceiling headliner and covering for the dual sun-visors are both a nice soft ivory fabric that is pleasant to touch. There is good headroom, both front and rear, for guys my size (6' 2" and a baseball cap) despite the sunroof housing.....once again, conservative boxy styling and a tall roofline helps. Legroom in the rear is also pretty good for tall people, aided by twin scalloped-cutouts in the front seat-backs. Front seat comfort was superb, with seat-contours that matched my big frame almost exactly, nice padding in the seats, and the NuLuxe imitation leather, as with other Lexus products was simply outstanding. The center-screen video system (my test-vehicle had the NAV option) was somewhat complex, but not as bad as on some of its competitors, though fan-speed adjustments, from what I could tell, could only be done with the screen....no buttons or ****. Stereo sound quality was excellent, though probably not as good as on the classic Mark Levinson stereo-option that my base-level vehicle lacked. General seating comfort in the back seat, as usual, was not as good as up front, but the seats shared the same nice grade of NuLuxe....as did the small third-row seats, which were generally useless for adults and big teen-agers. Both second-row and third-row seats, of course, fold for added cargo space. Molded into the door-panels are nice,solid, almost-vertical door-grips to aid in closing. And, of course, as is usually the case with SUVs in this price class, rear-seat passengers get their own separate climate-controls and air-vents....some versions also include rear-seat entertainment/video-screens.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

As with the cabin, the GX's high roof and conservative design gives a relatively roomy cargo area. The tail-hatch opens in two separate parts...a flip-up upper-window assembly and a lower-tail hatch that swings open with a hinge/gas-strut on the right side. That is a (not unusual) design/engineering goof for vehicles originally designed in Japan that are adapted to right-hand-drive markets like ours in America....I've seen it on SUVs with side-opening tailgates more than once. The body-engineers either forget to switch the hinges/handles on the back tail-gate, or may be told not to do so by management to save money. So, in right-hand drive markets like ours, one must reach way out to the left, near traffic, to open the tailgate and load/unload things.

Inside, the cargo compartment is well-finished on the floor, with a nice grade of black carpeting.....my test-car had the optional ($260) fabric floor-mat package that also included wheel-locks. The walls are covered with plastic, but a relatively nice grade of soft plastic that didn't feel cheap. The Lexus First-Aid Kit comes in a nice black leather (or at least what feels like leather) package. As mentioned previously, the split third-row seats, of course, fold down for added cargo room in back. On the back of the seats (when they are down) are nice cargo tie-town rings that appear to be real chrome/metal and not plastic. And.......(Voila).........under the rear end is a REAL spare tire and wheel assembly, not a donut, temporary, run-flat, or compressed-air bottle.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous Toyota/Lexus 4.6L V8 with a nice START/STOP button, and the engine comes to life. As with other larger Lexus powerplants, its refinement is such that one can barely tell it is running without looking at the tachometer.....Lexus includes a device to automatically disconnect the starter, should someone try to re-start it while it is running. On the road, it is also a smooth, quiet, reasonably torquey engine, though some exhaust-chuffle noise is heard upon acceleration, and, though not as bulky or heavy as the larger Land Cruiser/LX, the vehicle's size, weight, and AWD drag, in driving typical of everyday conditions, takes a toll on the engine's performance. The transmission shifts smoothly and quietly, with good ratios, though its six speeds aren't as flexible as the Land-Cruiser/LX's eight. The shifter also has that usual Toyota/Lexus zig-zag shift pattern I find annoying, though I'm aware that opinions can differ on that. There are different 2WD/4WD/Terrain drive-modes for various driving conditions on and off-road, though, of course, my review did not include any true off-road testing...and most SUV owners, today, drive on paved roads most of the time, even in bad weather. A Torsen locking differential is included for tough conditions. A green "ECO" dash light kept coming on and off as I drove, though there did not seem to be any controls or adjustments (I checked) for any Economy/Normal/Sport driving functions except the manual sport-shift feature on the shift lever.

The body-on-frame design/chassis, of course, is designed more for towing, ruggedness, taking punishment, and off-road prowess than for athletic handling or sports-car driving manners, but the road manners weren't too bad for this type of vehicle. My test-car had the optional ($599) towing package. Steering response was somewhat on the slow side, but noticeably better than on the large, ponderous Land Cruiser I sampled last week. There was some body roll, to be expected with a high-stance, high-center-of-gravity vehicle like this. Wind noise and road/tire noise were very quiet at low speeds, though some could be heard as speeds increased into the highway-cruising range. Still, it was noticeably quieter than the smaller Lexus NX, with more-effective sound insulation. Ride comfort was OK by my standards, but not as smooth as I would like. There was some of the jiggle and porposing over bumps inherent in many SUVs, and road-bumps, though not severe, definitely made their way to your seat cushion. Though, like with the Land Cruiser/LX, it seemed there was a layer of rubber in the suspension/bushings muting some of the bumpiness, the GX's shorter wheelbase, lighter weight, and narrower track didn't help to dampen the bumps quite as well as in the larger vehicle. Still, ride comfort was acceptable to my standards.......I could live with it every day if I had to. Brakes were generally responsive, and the brake pedal didn't have as much sponginess as in the Land Cruiser. The location of the brake pedal itself, relative to the gas pedal, was generally OK for my big size-15 shoe going from gas to brake, but I've seen both better and worse.

THE VERDICT:

This is probably the closest thing that Lexus markets in the U.S. to the popular Toyota 4Runner, though the 4Runner's platform isn't quite the same as the Prado platform that underpins the GX. Still, in many ways, it looks and feels like a 4Runner or Prado dressed up in a fine suit. It utilizes a rugged frame and will probably take more punishment than the much more common car-based mid-sized SV platforms used by much of the competition (and even by Lexus' own RX brother). Its overall riding-comfort level isn't quite up to the larger Land Cruiser/LX, but it does offer excellent front seats (for my frame) and noticeably better handling/steering-response. Its interior offers excellent fit/finish, is well-crafted, and would be a pleasure to ride in for a long trip (over smooth roads, of course). You'll use a lot of fuel doing so, of course.............this vehicle will not win any economy runs, and is considered a gas-guzzler by today's standards, though its EPA truck-status keeps it safe from the Federal Gas-Guzzler tax for the moment. And, last, the GX will likely be in production only for another year or so, as Lexus plans to introduce a car-based, 3-row TX (or a 3-row RX?) crossover SUV probably for the 2018 model year. That could (?) mean sharp depreciation for GX owners, which might also affect lease-deals, as higher projected depreciation usually means higher monthly lease payments.

But, for those who want a rugged, truck-based, mid-size SUV that will both tow and go off-road, has a nice comfortable interior, good fit/finish, a lot of features, a good reputation for reliability, and doesn't mind some bumps on the road here and there, and you don't want to spend the kind of money that a Land Cruiser or LX costs, take a good look at a GX. It is not only an excellent choice, but one of the few still-available ones in the mid-sized truck-based, body-on-frame SUV class............and it may only be available for another year or so.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-16 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 04:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus announced a 3-row RX. They haven't committed anything to a TX badge.
Old 05-18-16, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Lexus announced a 3-row RX. They haven't committed anything to a TX badge.
I had conflicting data on that. Some sources say TX, others a three-row RX (Lexus itself seems mum). Either way, it will be a three-row crossover for the first time, and the GX will likely either be dropped form the American market and/or go out of production.
Old 05-18-16, 05:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review. The GX is showing signs of aging but it has continually enjoyed niche sales, more so since the 2014 facelift.

A nice and competent SUV, but the console is very plasticky, and the V8 while smooth, has V6 power at 301hp.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I had conflicting data on that. Some sources say TX, others a three-row RX (Lexus itself seems mum). Either way, it will be a three-row crossover for the first time, and the GX will likely either be dropped form the American market and/or go out of production.
'TX' was a trademark. Lexus settled on RX350L and RX450L.
Old 05-18-16, 05:34 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice thorough review as always.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the GX. It's outdated even with the recent refresh, the spindle-grille just doesn't work on it, and the interior is very meh. I don't find the interior design appealing to the eye and the swaths of painted plastic are a turn off. With all that being said, Lexus has shown it can do a nice job with vehicles like the refreshed LX, so I'm sure the next GX will be really good.
Old 05-18-16, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review.
Thanks. It was an interesting test-drive....definitely seemed more refined (and more solidly-built)than the last GX I sampled in 2011, even though the 2011 was essentially the same generation as this one.

The GX is showing signs of aging but it has continually enjoyed niche sales, more so since the 2014 facelift.
It's a lot easier on the eyes inside than the cheaper 4Runner interior (the cheaper Prado, off course, is not sold here).

A nice and competent SUV, but the console is very plasticky, and the V8 while smooth, has V6 power at 301hp.
Almost all recent Lexus consoles have plastic underneath as a basic material, but, IMO, the one in the GX at least doesn't LOOK cheap on the surface.

The V8 will get out of its own way, but, in a vehicle of this weight, it's clearly not a drag-racer.

'TX' was a trademark. Lexus settled on RX350L and RX450L.
OK....Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Nice thorough review as always.
Thanks.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the GX. It's outdated even with the recent refresh, the spindle-grille just doesn't work on it, and the interior is very meh.
I agree....the spindle doesn't cut it for me either, but you do get used to it to some extent.

I don't find the interior design appealing to the eye and the swaths of painted plastic are a turn off. With all that being said, Lexus has shown it can do a nice job with vehicles like the refreshed LX, so I'm sure the next GX will be really good.
Actually, compared to some other recent Lexus products, the GX's interior doesn't really look that cheap on the surface. But, of course, its basic underlying material is plastic, except for the leather/vinyl on the door-panels and dash. The big Buick Enclave is the same way.....lots of flash and richness on the surface, but it is really plastic underneath.
Old 05-18-16, 08:30 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Other markets get a V6 for the GX/Prado and LC, although it would be pretty weedy with all that weight to carry around. The big diesel is the way to go for these SUVs, you get lots of torque, decent mpg and long tank range.

That spindle grille doesn't work as well as on the LX though. It looks sharp, a little obnoxious even, like the car can't wait to scoop up small animals for lunch.
Old 05-18-16, 10:10 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Review, but at that price point you were sitting on NuLuxe, not leather.
Old 05-19-16, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rld14
Nice Review,
Thanks.

but at that price point you were sitting on NuLuxe, not leather.
Yeah.....I was wondering about that myself, to some extent, as I was feeling it and sitting on it. I've had experience with the NuLuxe before, especially with the CT200h, and it is such a superb imitation of real leather (arguably the best I've seen) that it is easy to confuse the two if you don't look very closely or verify it with the specs. I looked at the price-sticker, and didn't specifically see NuLuxe mentioned on that particular vehicle....... but I might have just simply missed it (wouldn't be the first time), as these stickers are sometimes put on the inside of dark-tinted glass that can make them hard to read. Just to make sure, I double-checked, with the downloaded E-brochure, from the web-site for the base GX version, and, you're right...it does mention NuLuxe as standard. So, Thanks for the heads-up.... I'll modify the references to the seat-uphostery in the review.

I do my best in these reviews, and put a lot of time and effort into them...but if or when I mess up or omit something important, I depend on some of you car-saavy guys (and ladies) to help keep me straight LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Its overall riding-comfort level isn't quite up to the larger Land Cruiser/LX
surprised on this as i think the gx is softer riding than the lx, although the lx longer wheelbase would help less fore/aft 'rocking' over bumps.

still has a 6 speed auto.
doesn't have adaptive cruise or leather for $55k. if you want both of those, you're looking at $68k.
drinks gas.
side-opening rear door.

to get pre-collision and adaptive cruise is a $4340 'driver support package' only available on special order, and the adaptive cruise doesn't go down to stop.

overall, it's quirky, old, and by today's standards, very inefficient.

the market now is affluent suburban soccer moms who don't care about features or performance and want a reliable 'respectable' tank that looks good going through the starbucks drive-through on the way to pick up the kids. that is not a small market, and highly profitable for lexus.

the crazy part is the gx is supremely capable off-road, but the likelihood of it going there in the u.s. is only when the driver is texting and goes off course.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-19-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Damn MM, request and you shall receive. Thanks for the review

Its an interesting thing with the GX. Big brute that is probably the oldest in the Lexus lineup. However driving position and refinement really establish itself over anything else in the XUV/SUV market from Lexus. I did a couple back to back drives on the RX, GX, and NX and the GX was not in a hurry to move, but you felt the most Lexus like in the GX. Quiet and smooth.

If lexus gave the GX a LX type refresh, I betcha these would in quite some number (nothing in the RX range maybe 50k units)
Old 05-19-16, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Damn MM, request and you shall receive. Thanks for the review
Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, this time I was able to get to it quickly. There were some unsold GX models in stock that were available for test-drives....so I did it while I had the chance.
Old 05-19-16, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
surprised on this as i think the gx is softer riding than the lx, although the lx longer wheelbase would help less fore/aft 'rocking' over bumps.

doesn't have adaptive cruise or leather for $55k. if you want both of those, you're looking at $68k.
drinks gas.
side-opening rear door.

to get pre-collision and adaptive cruise is a $4340 'driver support package' only available on special order, and the adaptive cruise doesn't go down to stop.

overall, it's quirky, old, and by today's standards, very inefficient.

the market now is affluent suburban soccer moms who don't care about features or performance and want a reliable 'respectable' tank that looks good going through the starbucks drive-through on the way to pick up the kids. that is not a small market, and highly profitable for lexus.

the crazy part is the gx is supremely capable off-road, but the likelihood of it going there in the u.s. is only when the driver is texting and goes off course.
I would agree. IMO the 4Runner does a much better job than the GX.
Old 05-19-16, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would agree. IMO the 4Runner does a much better job than the GX.
Yes, the 4Runner is a real classic when off-road, but in my experience, it doesn't have the same comfort level on dry pavement as the GX. That said, though, the GX itself doesn't seem as much of a smooth-rider as the Land-Cruiser/LX....see my reply below.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
surprised on this as I think the GX is softer riding than the LX, although the LX longer wheelbase would help less fore/aft 'rocking' over bumps.
I respect your opinion, of course. But, in my experience, the longer wheelbase, wider track, greater vehicle weight, and more suspension/drivetrain modes on the Land Cruiser/LX all combine to make a noticeable difference in general ride-comfort, especially over sharp bumps.

Yes...definitely less flexible than the 8-speed on the LC/LX. But the existing gear-ratios on the 6-speed are still generally well-chosen.

The NuLuxe, however, is just as plush-feeling as the real leather. IMO, it is very difficult to tell the difference. Lexus really knows how to do the fake stuff....probably better than any other manufacturer.

drinks gas.
Both the LC/LX and GX drink gas. That's going to happen with almost any gas, non-hybrid V8-powered SUV. One simply has to accept it as part of the cost of owning a vehicle in this class.

side-opening rear door.
Yeah....like I said in the review, that's either the engineer's fault for not relocating the hinges/hood handle for left-hand drive markets, or management's fault for not allowing them to do it because of cost-cutting. I don't know which?

overall, it's quirky, old, and by today's standards, very inefficient
Again, there's probably no such thing as an efficient gas, non-hybrid V8 SUV.

I agree.....I tried to make that clear in the review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-16 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX