Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why isn't Lexus adding IS/GS/LS based CUVs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 12:32 AM
bob12345
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't Lexus adding IS/GS/LS based CUVs?

Lexus really needs to renew their CUV line ups.
Instead of having them all Toyota based, they should be built under the same RWD platform of IS/GS/LS.
Haven't drove NX yet but introducing it with RAV4 base is quite ridiculous, I found.
RX's overly cushy ride with too much body roll makes me feel it is a jacked up ES whose ride quality resembles Toyota Avalon, America's #1 granny car.
At least ES comes at a cheap price but RX does not...
I think Lexus should build CUVs more like Lexus and bit sporty, not overly comfort oriented vehicles that resembles Toyota.
Old 02-08-17, 06:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Can this thread just be moved to the other SUV Lexus thread?
Old 02-08-17, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

It's because they're cheap. The transverse Toyota based CUVs sell well and they're high profit because of their shared platform, so they keep pumping them out. It's contrary to their new "cars that are enjoyable and that people love to drive" mantra.

IMHO as CUVs become a bigger and. Unger part it will push Lexus further down the rankings of elite luxury carmakers. Lexus is a lot more like Acura than Mercedes or BMW or Audi when it comes to utilities.
Old 02-08-17, 07:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bob12345
Instead of having them all Toyota based, they should be built under the same RWD platform of IS/GS/LS.
Haven't drove NX yet but introducing it with RAV4 base is quite ridiculous, I found.
RX's overly cushy ride with too much body roll makes me feel it is a jacked up ES whose ride quality resembles Toyota Avalon, America's #1 granny car.
I think Lexus should build CUVs more like Lexus and bit sporty, not overly comfort oriented vehicles that resembles Toyota.
That will more likely to happen now that they have a modular platform.
Old 02-08-17, 08:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's because they're cheap. The transverse Toyota based CUVs sell well and they're high profit because of their shared platform, so they keep pumping them out. It's contrary to their new "cars that are enjoyable and that people love to drive" mantra.

IMHO as CUVs become a bigger and. Unger part it will push Lexus further down the rankings of elite luxury carmakers. Lexus is a lot more like Acura than Mercedes or BMW or Audi when it comes to utilities.
I agree with this. Even Genesis has committed to the more premium-minded longitudinal layout for its coming crossover lineup.
Old 02-08-17, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Audi's are special because of optional Quattro. Otherwise they are no different than Lexus. GLA, X1 from Benz and BMW are also FWD based. You could make the case that the GX and LX are special because they are permanent 4x4's with transfer cases and locking diffs, something nothing but a G-Wagen Benz could offer.
Old 02-08-17, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Hoovey2411;9764384. You could make the case that the GX and LX are special because they are permanent 4x4's with transfer cases and locking diffs, something nothing but a G-Wagen Benz could offer.[/QUOTE]

And they offer a V8, towing package, 7 rows, air suspension etc etc.
Old 02-08-17, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Audi's are special because of optional Quattro. Otherwise they are no different than Lexus. GLA, X1 from Benz and BMW are also FWD based. You could make the case that the GX and LX are special because they are permanent 4x4's with transfer cases and locking diffs, something nothing but a G-Wagen Benz could offer.
But they don't sell those FWD Audis here so when discussing the US market its a moot point. The GX and LX are fine vehicles in their own right, but they aren't the sort of vehicles we're talking about. I don't have an issue with them also offering those vehicles, but bottom line something like an X5, X3, Q5, Q7, GLE, GLS, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, LR Discovery, Jaguar F Pace....Lexus offers nothing of that caliber. With those vehicles capturing more and more of the market, thats going to be an issue for Lexus. Customers like me, I have moved on from transverse Toyota platform Lexus cars. I have no interest in an RX or an ES or a LWB 3 row RX, I had that and my income and ability and desire to drive a real premium car has grown out of that. I am considering moving to an SUV when I am done with my LS, as many sedan customers are. What Lexus can I buy? Nothing...don't want a truck like the GX or LX. I have no choice but to leave the brand.
Old 02-08-17, 01:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

But they don't sell those FWD Audis here so when discussing the US market its a moot point. The GX and LX are fine vehicles in their own right, but they aren't the sort of vehicles we're talking about. I don't have an issue with them also offering those vehicles, but bottom line something like an X5, X3, Q5, Q7, GLE, GLS, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, LR Discovery, Jaguar F Pace....Lexus offers nothing of that caliber. With those vehicles capturing more and more of the market, thats going to be an issue for Lexus. Customers like me, I have moved on from transverse Toyota platform Lexus cars. I have no interest in an RX or an ES or a LWB 3 row RX, I had that and my income and ability and desire to drive a real premium car has grown out of that. I am considering moving to an SUV when I am done with my LS, as many sedan customers are. What Lexus can I buy? Nothing...don't want a truck like the GX or LX. I have no choice but to leave the brand.
You can still buy Audi's with FWD on some models (i.e. Q3, A6). But yes, otherwise I think your post is bang on.
Old 02-08-17, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You can still buy Audi's with FWD on some models (i.e. Q3, A6). But yes, otherwise I think your post is bang on.
The smaller Audis, but cars like the A4 and A6 even FWD they are longitudinally engined...
Old 02-08-17, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just to add to your list, because I saw one on the road earlier today for the first time, Maserati Levante. I was a bit underwhelmed and think the F-Pace looks much better.
Old 02-08-17, 02:05 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bob12345
I don't think Lexus wants a Honda Crosstour to happen if they use they use the IS/GS/LS platform I think a whole new RWD CUV/SUV platform would needed. I'm sure Lexus has something in the works
Old 02-08-17, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
I don't think Lexus wants a Honda Crosstour to happen if they use they use the IS/GS/LS platform I think a whole new RWD CUV/SUV platform would needed. I'm sure Lexus has something in the works
Just FYI, but all those SUVs I listed above are platforms derived from sedans. A vehicle wouldn't be a weird sedan wagon hybrid if it was based off the GS or LS platform.

The RX Is based off the Camry.
Old 02-08-17, 02:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Just FYI, but all those SUVs I listed above are platforms derived from sedans. A vehicle wouldn't be a weird sedan wagon hybrid if it was based off the GS or LS platform.

The RX Is based off the Camry.
ahh good to know. as long as they dont wagon the sedan, lift it and call it day.
Old 02-08-17, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
I'm sure Lexus has something in the works
The only RWD platform I can see Lexus moving to would be a GX model based of the new RWD GA-L platform. There is clearly a market at that point. The NX and RX seem to serve their customers just fine.

Quick Reply: Why isn't Lexus adding IS/GS/LS based CUVs?