Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Dodge Demon is coming

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 11:26 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I like their idea. For the ones that complain, look at the cars you drive or use to driving. the guys who buy these cars would usually spend a lot of money into their cars anyways to get to those stock power levels. Why not have it all come from the manufacture already like this? Also, no one buy these cars out right. Financing these cars are easy to afford for anyone with an average median job. The guys who buy challengers SRT8s and put 15-30k into it to make it faster, this is the better option IMO.
Old 01-15-17, 11:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Any guesses on the powerplant? I'm going to say supercharged 7.4L Hemi V8, ~880hp. Should be AWD at those power levels, but I don't know where they'd procure such a system. Base price perhaps right around $100k?
If they are honestly advertising this car as a drag racing vehicle, meaning it will be used on a prepped track, then it should most definitely be RWD. All the fastest cars on the track are RWD. You'll see maybe 1 out of every 10 cars at the track that are AWD, they're are pretty much all big tire RWD.
Old 01-15-17, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If they are honestly advertising this car as a drag racing vehicle, meaning it will be used on a prepped track, then it should most definitely be RWD. All the fastest cars on the track are RWD. You'll see maybe 1 out of every 10 cars at the track that are AWD, they're are pretty much all big tire RWD.
.....Yet the Subaru AWD WRX/STI and Mitsubishi Evo have dominated rally contests. Go figure.
Old 01-15-17, 12:43 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.....Yet the Subaru AWD WRX/STI and Mitsubishi Evo have dominated rally contests. Go figure.
Try to keep up. He is referring to 1/4 mile thus drag racing reference. No one is talking rally car here.
Old 01-15-17, 12:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the fastest cars are the one with the best tires. This is why Supercars are not comfortable for street use. Tires is the single most important thing for a performance car.
Old 01-15-17, 01:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Mustang GT500 will be over 750hp and Camaro im sure will have something to compete as well.

If this is it for V8 engines at least they are going out with a bang!
Old 01-15-17, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Try to keep up. He is referring to 1/4 mile thus drag racing reference. No one is talking rally car here.
Nope....I disagree. He specifically said TRACK. Tracks, by definition, are closed courses...or, in some cases, even road-courses like rallies.

However, I agree it's not worth arguing all night about.

Old 01-15-17, 06:19 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Nope....I disagree. He specifically said TRACK. Tracks, by definition, are closed courses...or, in some cases, even road-courses like rallies.

i didn't know a drag strip was an open course.
Old 01-15-17, 06:34 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Never seen a "DRAG RACE" on a ralley course.
Old 01-15-17, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i didn't know a drag strip was an open course.
What I meant by closed course was essentially a speedway or winding road-course without separate start or finish lines. Rallys are usually different.

Anyhow, the original question (before the track-shape argument) was AWD vs. RWD for racing cars. AWD adds weight and drag on the straightaway, of course, but generally pays off in better handling in tight corners.
Old 01-15-17, 07:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

What I meant by closed course was essentially a speedway or winding road-course without separate start or finish lines. Rallys are usually different.

Anyhow, the original question (before the track-shape argument) was AWD vs. RWD for racing cars. AWD adds weight and drag on the straightaway, of course, but generally pays off in better handling in tight corners.
Nobody will ever buy one of these heavy *** pigs for tight cornering. That thing weighs 4500lbs WITHOUT the AWD system.... It will weight as much as a Land Cruiser if they add AWD to that.

And by track, I meant drag strip. Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear what I was talking about in the original post.
Old 01-15-17, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody will ever buy one of these heavy *** pigs for tight cornering. That thing weighs 4500lbs WITHOUT the AWD system.... It will weight as much as a Land Cruiser if they add AWD to that.
I certainly agree on the Challenger being large and heavy by ponycar standards......i.e., in comparison to the Mustang and Camaro. And, of course, the latest version of the Camaro has the world-class, Cadillac ATS-sourced chassis and steering.

And by track, I meant drag strip. Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear what I was talking about in the original post.
Like I said earlier...it's not worth a long protracted argument. I understand the real issue is AWD vs. RWD. I just happen to think that, especially with that kind of power, where AWD would have minimal drag, the benefits of it would far outweigh the drawbacks.
Old 01-17-17, 08:50 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

I certainly agree on the Challenger being large and heavy by ponycar standards......i.e., in comparison to the Mustang and Camaro. And, of course, the latest version of the Camaro has the world-class, Cadillac ATS-sourced chassis and steering.

Like I said earlier...it's not worth a long protracted argument. I understand the real issue is AWD vs. RWD. I just happen to think that, especially with that kind of power, where AWD would have minimal drag, the benefits of it would far outweigh the drawbacks.
Except to make an AWD system that is light weight enough and strong enough to handle the estimated 850hp would push the car into a price range that would most likely limit if not kill sales. FYI, new details out, it is NOT awd.
Old 01-17-17, 08:52 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/...-on-instagram/

More info with pics! Looks like at least the spy shots have it on 315 drag radials, further confirming for mmarshal that this is NOT a rally car.

Old 01-17-17, 09:32 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

What a shocker.... rwd with track tires. If this car was awd, it would be extremely inconsistent at launching. Just watch all the high power GTR videos on a prepped track. They are so inconsistent to all the old school muscle cars, etc. You never know what they will do next.

I've seen first hand 1000whp+ GTR on a local track have amazing runs and some runs that were just flat out embarrassing....on a car that is supposed to almost drive itself and takes little skill to do anything. One wrong move, one dead hook and goodbye transfer case, etc....

Compared to the RWD cars, and not to say they don't break sht, but it seems to happen way less often (on a high quality built car) and the runs are very consistent with a good driver that knows their vehicle.

Quick Reply: The Dodge Demon is coming