Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 10:01 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
No it doesn't, if this were the case no automaker would even bother with a V6 engine. Let's be real here.
I would agree. The Mazda 6 looks great inside & out but the 4 cyl feels like just like any other 4 cyl offering in the segment. Even the current V6 in the Camry is in a different league IMO
Old 01-10-17, 10:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I dunno, just from looking at it, its a little aggressive to me. I think the Mazda is a lot more appealing.
I've been liking more aggressive designs lately, so perhaps that's why this new Camry appeals to me so much. The styling really resonates with me.

This is why we have choices, right? Something for everyone.
Old 01-10-17, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

No it doesn't, if this were the case no automaker would even bother with a V6 engine. Let's be real here.
Have you driven the Mazda 6? It felt very peppy in the low ranges to me.

All in all I would always prefer a 6, but in the case of the Mazda 6 vs anything else in that segment, its better enough that I would overlook that preference. Its the only car in that segment that appeals to me at all.
Old 01-10-17, 11:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I'm surprised the structural rigidity only increased by 30%. Either the 20yr old platform in the current camry is incredibly engineered, back in its days, or the TNGA isnt thaaat much of an improvement. I was expecting in the magnitude of at least 50% or more, like some competitors claim every time a new platform is used.
obviously they added to structural rigidity since 20yrs ago, every Fmc and mmc mentions it.

Considering euro mags like how new tnga vehickes drive, we should be in for a treat... Interior finally looks great and engines should be class leading.
Old 01-10-17, 11:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
as long as they continue to give fat incentives
interestingly enough, I just read how Toyota incentives dropped vs last December... I am sure camry and vorolla are at highest but overall Toyota has considerably lower incentives than rest of the industry.
Old 01-10-17, 11:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

Have you driven the Mazda 6? It felt very peppy in the low ranges to me.
As a rental, nice car but forgettable. The engine was not anywhere near a Toyota V6.
All in all I would always prefer a 6, but in the case of the Mazda 6 vs anything else in that segment, its better enough that I would overlook that preference. Its the only car in that segment that appeals to me at all.
You have a strong preference which is fine, but that is way different than your claim that the engine is just as good as a 6-cylinder. I'm happy to see Toyota has not dumped the V6 option I was pretty sure they would.
Old 01-10-17, 11:25 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Several high end features will be available on the Camry for the first time:

1. 10-inch color Head-Up Display (HUD)
2. Panoramic moonroof
3. Entune 3.0 with 4G LTE internet connection
4. 360-degree camera system
5. Two tone exterior paint and red interior option
6. Toyota safety sense with a all speed adaptive cruise control with be standard equipment
Old 01-10-17, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

One of the nicest things about Entune 3.0 on wi-fi equipped vehicles is live map updates, which is a major sore spot for many current Lexus and Toyota owners.
Old 01-10-17, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
One of the nicest things about Entune 3.0 on wi-fi equipped vehicles is live map updates, which is a major sore spot for many current Lexus and Toyota owners.
Yes, that's huge.

To be clear about the Mazda, I didn't say the 4cyl was as good. I said it was as peppy.
Old 01-10-17, 11:57 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

To be clear about the Mazda, I didn't say the 4cyl was as good. I said it was as peppy.
Mazda 0-60 7.3 (which is very good) versus Camry V6 0-60 6.1.
Old 01-10-17, 12:09 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

MotorTrend test drive of the 2018 Camry prototype. Very promising handling dynamics from the new TNGA platform.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyot...-drive-review/

"Shedding speed approaching the first real corner feels automatic. And arcing into the curve, the seat’s lateral bolsters quickly cup my ribcage. Exiting the bend, the upshifts are not only finger snaps but are the subtle, cool jazz ones where your fingers barely brush each other. The car feels vastly more sophisticated. But if there’s one thing that most symbolizes its transformation from seven tedious generations of Tofu Camry driving dynamics, it’s the brake pedal’s crispness. No more mush—even the hybrid is better, although you still detect its inevitable transition to friction-brake stopping. Through a double lane change, the previous Camry and Accord lolled with noticeable roll and weight transfer; this car deftly snakes right through it. Right, straight, left. Bam, bam, bam. The steering responds with sensible loads. Its balance and coordination are so improved it feels like an Audi sensibility might have snuck into the Toyota R & D center. I’m too soft-spoken for the part, but if Colin Clive were sitting here, he might indeed have yelled “It’s Alive! It’s ALIVE!” Pulling into the pits, I hop out with a smile and now an appetite, so I go hunting for more Kit Kats."
Old 01-10-17, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

The wheels—ranging from 16-inchers on the base LE to 19 inches on the pull-no-punches XSE—have been lured out of their usual hiding in the wheelwells.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyot...-drive-review/

dear god yes, about time, toyota, i knew ya could.
Old 01-10-17, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

but wait, there's more... the beast has awoken...

Camry’s [chief engineer], Masato Katsumata, has arrived and is nearby. ... “Previous Camrys have been white bread,” he says. “If a person wants a car that doesn’t break down, and they don’t have experience with European cars, then you might say to them ‘Buy a Camry; don’t worry.’ We could probably have stayed in that world.” Vehicle performance leader Yoichi Mizuno adds, “After seven generations of Camry, our biggest challenge was to forget. This one isn’t a Camry. It’s a new car.” How new? Katsumata-san says, “I’ve been in charge since the about the fifth or sixth generation, which at the time we thought was a big change. With that one, the front engine cradle was new along with the upper body, but the rear of the undercarriage was unaltered. So overall, it was like 65 percent new. This one is 100 percent.”
Old 01-10-17, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda 0-60 7.3 (which is very good) versus Camry V6 0-60 6.1.
We're off topic, but 0-60 times don't tell you feel. These turbo 4cyl engines have a much earlier power band and that makes them feel peppier around town than their power figures or 0-60 times would let on.
Old 01-10-17, 02:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Camry update is interesting. Again i think its pretty much a homerun.
Looks good, 8speed auto across the range, more power, class leading V6, more standard features.
Bravo!

Whats interesting is Toyota kept the V6 in it and didnt downsize to 4cyl only even though nobody would protest too much if it was dropped. As in this class of car other features / criteria are more important.

But then in the LS - they decided to downsize to V6 only.

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed