Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Chevrolet Traverse: She's a Big 'Un

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I had the current one as a rental for a week and I liked it.
ditto. it wasn't 'fancy' but very practical, comfortable, quiet, and easy to drive.

this new one takes it to a whole new level.

there's so many great new vehicles coming out... gonna be fun shopping for my next chariot.
Old 02-20-18, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sat in a Traverse today. Overall, pretty nice. Total MSRP was $55K CN. This was a premiere model. Got some ncie leather seat materials. Controls are nicely laid out. Easy to use infotainment screen. Overall I like the design.

There is some typical GM cheapness and cost cutting. The seat belts for the front seats do not adjust for height. There is some hard plastics here and there. The armrest center console has some really cheap plastic next to the shifter. Lots more cheap stuff on the top of the door panels. Also, the center gauge cluster does not feel all that special for the price point.

But overall, I think it is a worthy in the segment. Probably not as good as a Hilander, but worthy of a comparison.
Old 02-20-18, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sat in a Traverse today. Overall, pretty nice. Total MSRP was $55K CN. This was a premiere model. Got some ncie leather seat materials. Controls are nicely laid out. Easy to use infotainment screen. Overall I like the design.

There is some typical GM cheapness and cost cutting. The seat belts for the front seats do not adjust for height. There is some hard plastics here and there. The armrest center console has some really cheap plastic next to the shifter. Lots more cheap stuff on the top of the door panels. Also, the center gauge cluster does not feel all that special for the price point.

But overall, I think it is a worthy in the segment. Probably not as good as a Hilander, but worthy of a comparison.

How do you think it compares to the Enclave, since they both come from the same platform?...or have you not had a chance to sit in or drive an Enclave? Bitkahuna, of course, in another thread, gave us his feelings on the Enclave Avenir a few weeks ago.
Old 02-20-18, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How do you think it compares to the Enclave, since they both come from the same platform?...or have you not had a chance to sit in or drive an Enclave? Bitkahuna, of course, in another thread, gave us his feelings on the Enclave Avenir a few weeks ago.
About the same. Buick is a bit better inside but hard to justify the price premium
Old 02-20-18, 08:00 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really dig the interior. The exterior is clean but ugly. I give it a score of 5/10. Btw, some of you guys are saying plastic is cheap, its not. Plastics has to be engineered and molded, which cost money.

Last edited by theory816; 02-20-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 09:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
. Btw, some of you guys are saying plastic is cheap, its not. Plastics has to be engineered and molded, which cost money.
There is good, solid plastic and there is El Cheapo thin, flimsy stuff....and, yes, I can usually tell the difference.
Old 02-21-18, 02:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Correct, the Terrain is not the GMC version of the Traverse, it's of the Equinox.
Also, the Acadia used to be the GMC version of the Traverse, but was made substantially smaller when it was redesigned a year or two ago. Since the redesigned Traverse is even larger than before, the size difference between the two is probably pretty dramatic now.
Old 02-21-18, 07:12 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new LS, many BMWs. Mercedes, etc no longer adjust seat belt shoulder height. Vast majority of customers do not adjust this.
Old 02-21-18, 09:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I really dig the interior. The exterior is clean but ugly. I give it a score of 5/10.
Wait, what? This guy (at 0.07 sec) says it "looks better than 99% of the suvs out there"

Kidding aside, it looks waaay better than the last model
I like the new grill now that the top part and lower part are closer together rather than separated in the past.

Old 02-22-18, 01:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I think the traverse looks great outside.
Old 02-22-18, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the traverse looks great outside.

Chevy made a number of efforts on the styling to try and increase its market appeal to more buyers. I myself am not a great believer in automotive stereotypes, but, nevertheless, the last-generation had a reputation as a Mommy-mobile for grocery shopping.

....Well, OK, I might buy into one stereotype...V8 Mustangs and aggressive drivers LOL.
Old 02-22-18, 08:20 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

SO the GMC Acadia is the cross-model to this right? I have seen a few of these Traverse's on the road and I gotta say, they are quite the looker. If they are looking to compete with the explorer they nailed it. But I just can't get past the badge. The long-term reliability might be there, but only time will tell. Every GM I or any of my family members have owned have been trash.
Old 02-22-18, 08:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
SO the GMC Acadia is the cross-model to this right? I have seen a few of these Traverse's on the road and I gotta say, they are quite the looker. If they are looking to compete with the explorer they nailed it. But I just can't get past the badge. The long-term reliability might be there, but only time will tell. Every GM I or any of my family members have owned have been trash.
Acadia is no longer identical, it's been shortened considerably. The Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse went slightly larger, while still the same platform. The slightly smaller Acadia makes sense as Buick and GMC often share showrooms, and the smaller Acadia can somewhat better target the successful Grand Cherokee. Acadia now shares somewhat with the Cadillac XT5, Buick Envision, and upcoming shorter 2-row Chevy crossover to fit between Equinox and Traverse.
Old 02-22-18, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Acadia is no longer identical, it's been shortened considerably. The Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse went slightly larger, while still the same platform. The slightly smaller Acadia makes sense as Buick and GMC often share showrooms, and the smaller Acadia can somewhat better target the successful Grand Cherokee. Acadia now shares somewhat with the Cadillac XT5, Buick Envision, and upcoming shorter 2-row Chevy crossover to fit between Equinox and Traverse.
I hadn't really looked at it that way before (the new, smaller Acadia being prime competition for the Jeep Grand Cherokee)...but, since you mention it, yes, that would make some sense. However, the odd way that the new Acadia is doing the buttons for the transmission-shifting (pulling on some, pushing on others), may turn off some potential buyers. Lincolns, with their buttons, do it much simpler.

Old 02-22-18, 11:35 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Really hate these GM commercials. It's so condescending. Maybe there's this 1 guy that will believe that the participants were in the dark as to what's about to happen, but...seriously.

Quick Reply: 2018 Chevrolet Traverse: She's a Big 'Un