Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 02:22 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting but a bit derivative, and I don't care for the messy interior layout. Triple round center vents, rectangular side vents, deeply hooded dials, what gives? The rear also looks like an A7 combined with a Ford Mondeo.
Old 01-10-17, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I think any critique of styling has to come with a caveat that this is a mid priced RWD Kia, which is an awesome thing.
Old 01-10-17, 06:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks awesome.
Old 01-10-17, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

the optima is ~1 inch longer than the stinger.
I was refering to the basic platform, not necessarily the body dimensions. One can sometimes vary a little in in size, relative to the other.
Old 01-10-17, 02:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Engine specs are nothing special, hopefully the driving dynamics can backbup the aggressive design.
The first picture I saw was head on with the rear - and Audi really came to mind. It's not exactly a "fast" car - but nice, sporty and quick...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
100% spot on with the too much knock off comment. The interior reminds me MB. I don't think this vehicle will do very well.
I've seen a bunch of people say this car is stealing the show at NAIAS - and these aren't Hyundai or Kia fanboys either. Knock offs sell pretty well these days. Lexus did great with their knockoffs over the years. And so does everyone else. Most buyers don't require their vehicle to be original anymore. The few buyers that do are so few and far in between - they just don't matter to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Remember, this is not based on any existing KIA. The basis for this car is the Genesis G-80. Price with the base turbo 4 may be in the low $30,000 range, but I expect the loaaded V-6 version to be more like $45,000. Yes, this is a South Korean competitor to the 3 series and C class. Much sharper styling than the conservative BMW (or Audi A4) with a great looking interior. My guess is that this is also the basis for the new Genesis Sport Coupe.
Steve
The Kia Stinger uses the G80's platform - modified to be four inches shorter... The fully loaded twin turbo V6 will probably top out at around $45k.

Originally Posted by dseag2
I really like what Kia is doing these days, and this is a very nice looking car, but I'm assuming they will drop "Stinger" or I won't be caught dead in one.
I've seen so many people praise the name and actually love the fact that it's not an alphanumeric...

knock off? you can't really make a good looking car these days without knocking something off. There's no such thing as unique design anymore. remember how jag knocked off the GS, sorta? Mercedes wasn't the first to use round ac vents
Right. Generally, nobody cares anymore. Unless they're spending an astronomical amount of money...

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 01-10-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 03:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 01-10-17, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I've seen a bunch of people say this car is stealing the show at NAIAS - and these aren't Hyundai or Kia fanboys either. Knock offs sell pretty well these days. Lexus did great with their knockoffs over the years. And so does everyone else. Most buyers don't require their vehicle to be original anymore. The few buyers that do are so few and far in between - they just don't matter to the manufacturer.
Welcome back, Sal. Haven't seen you post in Car Chat for a LONG time.
Old 01-10-17, 04:11 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Copied mercedes' interior and audi rs7's rear!
Old 01-10-17, 05:37 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome back, Sal. Haven't seen you post in Car Chat for a LONG time.
Thank you. I woke up with the new LS500 information. That's what I've been waiting for.

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Copied mercedes' interior and audi rs7's rear!
Yes, that's what I see as well... Really, not bad for a Kia - to do that as well as they did...
Old 01-10-17, 06:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

this thing is going to sink or swim solely on price. I don't think a KIA sedan should be over $40k well equipped

kia's prices are climbing too high too fast. They are risking low sales to raise KIA's image.
Old 01-10-17, 06:59 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet looking car, albeit a bit over-styled in areas (e.g. the side vents on the lower fenders, tail light extensions onto the sides, etc.). The rear is stunning.

However I just don't see this doing very well on the market. It's a very niche product being sold by a company with no pedigree as far as performance vehicles go. Very few people will be willing to dish out that type of coin on a Kia no matter how much of a bargain it is compared to the likes of the 540i, S6, etc. The concept of a RWD V8 powered sport sedan would've fared better as a high trim version of the Genesis brand's future entry level model.
Old 01-10-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
However I just don't see this doing very well on the market. It's a very niche product being sold by a company with no pedigree as far as performance vehicles go.
I don't agree that they don't have any pedigree or heritage in performance vehicles. . Hyundai did the Genesis Coupe very well....I did a full-review on one several years ago.
Old 01-10-17, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

kia's prices are climbing too high too fast. They are risking low sales to raise KIA's image.
There's a reason prices have gone up. Their build-quality has climbed even faster. At Consumer Reports, They now rank #5 in reliability among all automakers...trailing only Lexus, Toyota, Buick (yes, Buick is now at #3), and Audi.
Old 01-10-17, 07:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
However I just don't see this doing very well on the market. It's a very niche product being sold by a company with no pedigree as far as performance vehicles go.
Every automaker has to start somewhere.

Whether it does well or not, you said it yourself, its a niche product. The fact Kia had the stones to put this out (and kept it Lexus secret-esque until its unveiling) I give them props.

Hyundai being Kia's parent company still pulls a few strings. They've recently added the N Performance brand (to Hyundai). The N stands for Namyang where Hyundai Motor Global R&D is, but then the performance N models go to the infamous Nürburgring in Germany to be honed.

Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis all want a piece of the niche and luxury markets too. Can't blame them.
Old 01-10-17, 07:19 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't agree that they don't have any pedigree or heritage in performance vehicles. . Hyundai did the Genesis Coupe very well....I did a full-review on one several years ago.
But that was a Hyundai not a Kia. Performance enthusiasts have never gravitated toward the brand for anything.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!