Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I've always been baffled that only the GX, LS, and LX with air suspensions offer a 'Comfort' mode. And on the LS and LX you have to use the Drive Mode Select and turn left for Eco and left for Comfort. You can only use one at a time and not in conjunction with each other . I'm surprised they haven't added an adjustable suspension with a Comfort setting to the ES, GS, or RX.

Oddly enough the old ES300 had an optional adjustable suspension with a Comfort mode
Same age-old reason......cost-cutting. From what you describe, now only the top-level Lexus products get the adjustable suspension. It's (probably) the same reason why only certain elite GM products get the Magna-Ride suspension with the magnetically-adjusting shocks.
Old 12-23-16, 09:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The GX is no more top level than the GS...
Old 12-23-16, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The GX is no more top level than the GS...
True, but the GX, being an off-roader, would probably require more suspension adjustments by its very nature. In general, the best off-roaders are super-stiff off-road, along with high approach/departure/breakover angles, (to help protect the underbody from rocks) while nice and comfy on regular paved roads.

In general, though, I'm still convinced it's cost-cutting. Hoovey's picture pretty much sums it up......you could once find that feature in ES models.......... apparently no more.
Old 12-23-16, 09:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I've always been baffled that only the GX, LS, and LX with air suspensions offer a 'Comfort' mode. And on the LS and LX you have to use the Drive Mode Select and turn left for Eco and left for Comfort. You can only use one at a time and not in conjunction with each other . I'm surprised they haven't added an adjustable suspension with a Comfort setting to the ES, GS, or RX.

Oddly enough the old ES300 had an optional adjustable suspension with a Comfort mode

I believe the current RX now offers Adaptive Variable Suspension. As for why the lower end models dont. It has to be likely cost and to keep it down. The Toyota Sequoia does offer it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-23-16 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 09:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe the current RX now offers Adaptive Variable Suspension. As for why the lower end models dont. It has to be likely cost and to keep it down. The Toyota Sequoia does offer it.
The RX/h F-Sport, IS350 F-Sport, GS350/h F-Sport, and RC350 F-Sport all have AVS as well. I didn't include those because they don't include a 'Comfort' mode adjustment, just firmer dampening while in S+.
Old 12-24-16, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The RX/h F-Sport, IS350 F-Sport, GS350/h F-Sport, and RC350 F-Sport all have AVS as well. I didn't include those because they don't include a 'Comfort' mode adjustment, just firmer dampening while in S+.
I get what you are saying now, there is no "comfort" setting like you said. Seems strange however Lexus seems to be obsessed over the idea of sportiness. LX and LS date back to 06/07 with their old chassis designs so perhaps that is why they are doing it. Maybe we will see no more "comfort" mode on the next gen LS
Old 12-24-16, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I get what you are saying now, there is no "comfort" setting like you said. Seems strange however Lexus seems to be obsessed over the idea of sportiness. LX and LS date back to 06/07 with their old chassis designs so perhaps that is why they are doing it. Maybe we will see no more "comfort" mode on the next gen LS
For this reason I think the ES, GS, RX and NX should all at least offer the option to soften the suspension via driver mode select. Sportiness is good and something that needed to come to Lexus, but Lexus might need to revisit the suspension turning department since not every GS, RX, NX sold is an F-Sport model. The latter especially needs some work as the suspension tends to 'crash' over imperfections in the pavement.
Old 12-25-16, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For this reason I think the ES, GS, RX and NX should all at least offer the option to soften the suspension via driver mode select. Sportiness is good and something that needed to come to Lexus, but Lexus might need to revisit the suspension turning department since not every GS, RX, NX sold is an F-Sport model. The latter especially needs some work as the suspension tends to 'crash' over imperfections in the pavement.
Agreed. Like with the CT200h, when I reviewed the NX, I felt its general comfort level and overall refinement were not up to Lexus standards. That was definitely not the case with the RX, though, which had far superior road-manners in almost every way, even considering the extra cost.
Old 12-25-16, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

it's all about cost as well as limiting the number of model variations - this is what toyota/lexus does (well) to focus on the fattest part of the market to maximize profits but it's not as 'luxurious' to me to not have choices and options.
Old 12-27-16, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
BMW has 2 options for stereo systems - Harmon Kardon and Bowers&Wilkins.
The Harmon Kardon is the closest to Mark Levinson in price and sound.

The GSF has TVD but M550i has AWD, more HP and 100 lbft more Torque.
GSF has better brakes but for the 10-15k price premium, not worth it.

Its not 100 percent even feature for feature but the BMW will give you more tech and performance at a lower price.
Obviously GSF is selling at $20k discounts for a reason.

I recommend you order a BMW rather than shop for one on dealer lots that are filled with unnecessary features. I have custom ordered all my BMWs to my exact specs, it is one of my favorite things about the brand. If you lease - they will hold your rate for 60 to 90 days, so no worries on program expiring.
the moment you started talking about an option / feature being useful or worth it in a comparison, it's already not a fair one. i didn't say gsf is worth it, there are things on gsf that i don't care for, and same same on the m550i. that doesn't make the m550i a cheaper car automatically. it can be the case that the m550 is more flexible to suit different people's need but again that's drifting away from fair comparison. it's just like those people trying to argue gsf is a cheaper and better car than the m5 because it's 20k cheaper while the m5 offers a lot of things that most people can't utilize daily
Old 12-27-16, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am probably one that doesn't really care that much about adjustable suspension. of all my cars who have had this option, i don't think i have really used them more than 10 times -- total
Old 12-27-16, 09:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am probably one that doesn't really care that much about adjustable suspension. of all my cars who have had this option, i don't think i have really used them more than 10 times -- total
you drove the LS460L in sport mode all the time ?
Old 12-28-16, 05:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the moment you started talking about an option / feature being useful or worth it in a comparison, it's already not a fair one. i didn't say gsf is worth it, there are things on gsf that i don't care for, and same same on the m550i. that doesn't make the m550i a cheaper car automatically. it can be the case that the m550 is more flexible to suit different people's need but again that's drifting away from fair comparison. it's just like those people trying to argue gsf is a cheaper and better car than the m5 because it's 20k cheaper while the m5 offers a lot of things that most people can't utilize daily
I don't quite get your argument at all.

Here are the facts:
New M550i will outperform the GSF in EVERY measurable way.
It will have all the features standard that the GSF has and more such as AWD.
It will have some features that are optional that are not offered at all on GSF.

Most important it will have a base price of over $10k cheaper than the GSF.

The M5 is on a completely other level.
Its not fair to compare a GSF to it at all, not sure why you keep mentioning it.
Old 12-28-16, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

You keep saying it will have a base price that's so much cheaper yet you have no evidence of that save your own predictions lol
Old 12-28-16, 09:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You keep saying it will have a base price that's so much cheaper yet you have no evidence of that save your own predictions lol
Go to BMW forums that have actual insiders (dealers, corporate) post on there.
Vast amount of info on there - they already posted order guides with standard features and option packages, colors, etc.

Don't take my word for it just research and use common sense.
M550i = 550i with Msport package! The new engine has more HP than previous generation, that is pretty much standard for all manufacturers when they do update.
F10 535i had 300hp and 300lbft torque, new G30 540i has 335hp and 332lbft torque with new B58 engine, yet price went up by $1,000.

I posted the actual prices for 530i/xi and 540i/xi on page 3 of this thread, was that also false or prediction?

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-28-16 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: BMW expands 5 Series range with M550i xDrive and 530e iPerformance