Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Campaign for Apple Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 12:23 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
This thread is pointless. Toyota is completely aware of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and Toyota's stance on this issue has been in the auto industry news for some years now. A petition is silly.

Maybe Toyota may someday offer CarPlay and Android Auto but, if it does, it certainly isn't going to retrofit previously sold vehicles.
Some of the mayor players have not wanted to jump in 2016 and if they do, they offer it in limited instances. For example, Honda offers it in Accord, Civic, CRV, Ridgeline and Pilot, but Acura offers it only on the NSX. Toyota or Mazda are the last mayor carmakers that have not made any announcements to support CarPlay or Android Auto. Early this year, Toyota announced that is would support the open standard SmartDeviceLink. This was started by Ford, who now supports CarPlay...

Not sure why automakers spend time on things already developed by Apple and Google... Seems like a waste of time...
Old 12-14-16, 01:17 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Not sure why automakers spend time on things already developed by Apple and Google... Seems like a waste of time...
Put on your marketing executive hat and think about it. Lexus is supposed to be a premium brand, isn't it? Why would Toyota want Lexus to use the same CarPlay and Android Auto systems that budget car brands use? Enform sets Lexus apart from the budget brands and has many features that the budget brand systems don't have.

Part of it could also be licensing fees and the risks associated with giving over control to Apple and/or Google - not something I would feel comfortable in doing. Toyota (TMC) is a very profitable company and many (most?) other automakers have not been nearly so profitable. I want TMC to remain very profitable since it is one of only two automakers we invest in. We like getting regular dividends.
Old 12-14-16, 01:26 PM
rbclt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

For rest of the folks who are NOT receiving 'the dividends', hope one of you can help me write the Change.org petition.. we can socialize it through all these Lexus forums and get enough signature... hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Old 12-14-16, 04:44 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbclt
For rest of the folks who are NOT receiving 'the dividends', hope one of you can help me write the Change.org petition.. we can socialize it through all these Lexus forums and get enough signature... hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Just write something down, I would sign it
Old 12-14-16, 04:56 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Just write something down, I would sign it

ditto!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-16, 05:28 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Put on your marketing executive hat and think about it. Lexus is supposed to be a premium brand, isn't it? Why would Toyota want Lexus to use the same CarPlay and Android Auto systems that budget car brands use? Enform sets Lexus apart from the budget brands and has many features that the budget brand systems don't have.

Part of it could also be licensing fees and the risks associated with giving over control to Apple and/or Google - not something I would feel comfortable in doing. Toyota (TMC) is a very profitable company and many (most?) other automakers have not been nearly so profitable. I want TMC to remain very profitable since it is one of only two automakers we invest in. We like getting regular dividends.
I guess Mercedes-Benz, Acura NSX,
BMW 2 series to 7, x3 to x6, Audi, Cadillac, most new Porsche are NOT premium brand b/c they use Apple CarPlay. Let's get serious, the only reason Toyota is extremely profitable now is because people think they are reliable, and cost of ownership is low. Not because of their terrible interface.
Imagine how much more profitable they will be if they adopt CarPlay.
Old 12-14-16, 05:29 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rbclt
If you want to express your displeasure about the lack of CarPlay and/or Android Auto in Lexus vehicles, please "vote with your feet" and buy another brand of automobile. I retired from a lifetime with an auto industry company and I can guarantee you that your petition would only bring chuckles if anyone notices it at all.

Change.org is not for trivial petitions like yours. Please do some research on what it is for:: https://www.change.org/
Old 12-14-16, 06:31 PM
s2000zr
Driver

If you want to express your displeasure about the lack of CarPlay and/or Android Auto in Lexus vehicles, please "vote with your feet" and buy another brand of automobile. I retired from a lifetime with an auto industry company and I can guarantee you that your petition would only bring chuckles if anyone notices it at all.

Change.org is not for trivial petitions like yours. Please do some research on what it is for:: https://www.change.org/
Maybe he like verything about his car except the navigation interface. It's a good thing we don't buy cars for their interface. If we did, you probably will not get that nice Toyota dividends check. I wonder why Lexus keep switching between the track pad and the joystick mouse. Because they both suck!!
Old 12-14-16, 06:31 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

SO true. At the end of the day, you can't get everything you want. If we want carplay, better features, better nav etc we should have gotten a Mercedes or something else. But for me, hopefully, it's the reliability that outweighs the little things.
Old 12-15-16, 03:37 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The biggest complaint I'm seeing on average about Lexus cars is their horrible UI experience with the infotainment and on top of that, the lack of CarPlay/Android.

I'm fine with Lexus not having those features SO LONG as their own infotainment system is epic, but its not good, so what gives.
Old 12-15-16, 07:00 AM
Gibster
Driver

Is the point of the proposed campaign to persuade Toyota / Lexus to include CarPlay in future models or retrofit it to current vehicles? I'm not sure why Toyota would spend the effort to add a feature that as current buyers we had no reasonable expectation that it would be added at some point. So this is not a case of misleading the buyers into thinking this would be added some time in the future. When I bought my Pioneer receiver it did not include CarPlay but the advertising did note that it would be added. So Pioneer was somewhat obligated (to avoid a class action suit). CarPlay was added through a firmware update. This is not the case with the current Lexus models.

We'd likely have more luck asking for Scout GPS link to be added to pre-2017 models.
Old 12-15-16, 07:24 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Car Play/Android Auto in my 2016 Sierra Denali not a cheap vehicle. One of the best features I have ever experienced and so easy anyone can use it as a basic tool or for more and more advanced features. This would go a long way to mitigate the stupid "lockout" feature in all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I use Android and can navigate to almost any business, Dr, Lawyer, etc. simply by name....address unknown. "OK Google navigate to Dr Jones" and you are on your way. If there are three Dr Jones it will give you the choices. How far to NY City and it will give you the distance. On a golf outing we were discussing the current Capital Gains tax rate...3 different opinions. I pushed the voice button on my steering wheel and asked the rate. The guys were impressed when a voice came on the speakers that gave the rate and the date it became effective.

Intuitive, simple and not distracting so safer. Toyota can't build a better mousetrap so it has to be ego or the perceived concern about losing control.
Old 12-15-16, 07:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Comfort
I have Car Play/Android Auto in my 2016 Sierra Denali not a cheap vehicle. One of the best features I have ever experienced and so easy anyone can use it as a basic tool or for more and more advanced features. This would go a long way to mitigate the stupid "lockout" feature in all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I use Android and can navigate to almost any business, Dr, Lawyer, etc. simply by name....address unknown. "OK Google navigate to Dr Jones" and you are on your way. If there are three Dr Jones it will give you the choices. How far to NY City and it will give you the distance. On a golf outing we were discussing the current Capital Gains tax rate...3 different opinions. I pushed the voice button on my steering wheel and asked the rate. The guys were impressed when a voice came on the speakers that gave the rate and the date it became effective.

Intuitive, simple and not distracting so safer. Toyota can't build a better mousetrap so it has to be ego or the perceived concern about losing control.

I also have a 2016 Sierra Denali 2500hd duramax and was just about to post the opposite; I find CarPlay to be a pretty poor experience and actually prefer the native interface for most things.

Might be different if apple let you use more than just a handful of apps, and especially if you could use anything other then apple maps (waze for me).

Have not tried it with android version so hopefully that's a better user experience. Will get a friend to pair up and check it out.

Until CarPlay is better don't care if it's there or not on my future Lexus
Old 12-15-16, 08:26 PM
Roughneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky for our American cousins who at least have the ENFORM option.

Here in Canada we do not have ENFORM nor CarPlay. Looks like I am driving a $60k paperweight. I was close to getting an Infiniti but the Lexus customer service was miles ahead. Acura doesnt even give loaner cars. For me customer service and reliability outweighed the need for the tech. However, why should we sacrifice when it doesnt cost Lexus anything to allow us to eat and keep our muffin?
Old 12-16-16, 04:13 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I also have a 2016 Sierra Denali 2500hd duramax and was just about to post the opposite; I find CarPlay to be a pretty poor experience and actually prefer the native interface for most things.

Might be different if apple let you use more than just a handful of apps, and especially if you could use anything other then apple maps (waze for me).

Have not tried it with android version so hopefully that's a better user experience. Will get a friend to pair up and check it out.

Until CarPlay is better don't care if it's there or not on my future Lexus
it may depend on the Android phone. I have used 2 phones both stock Android, no skins like with Samsung for example. AA will be even better when they intro Wifi connectivity vs the present USB (Wifi announced a few months ago). I have a Google Pixel now running Android 7.1.1. The latest update to my phones Android app allows it to run Android Auto on the phone so you don't need it on the vehicle. Haven't tried it yet but assume it would give directions through the speakers if your phone was linked. You would lose the large map projected to your larger vehicle screen.
IMO...Google maps are superior to anything else and as they integrate Waze (recently purchased) will get even better.

Quick Reply: Campaign for Apple Car Play