Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 07:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO, the most significant opportunity for the Genesis brand is their current Hyundai customers. You need a brand within the Hyundai family for current customers who love the brand. My brother is a huge Hyundai fan,I am not sure where he goes if he wants something a little. Iced, where does the Sonata fanatic go? whereas within Toyota, a Camry fan can go Avalon, or ES, or move to NX or UX cross over or jump to RX. Maybe Genesis needs a few cheaper FWD models for those coming from Hyundai? I dunno. Thoughts? Where does the hybrid buyer go within Hyundai or Genesis?
Starbucks, Pete's..

A Sonata owner would probably look at another Sonata or Optima, Cadenza, Stinger, or G80. Plenty of options
Old 11-04-19, 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Starbucks, Pete's..

A Sonata owner would probably look at another Sonata or Optima, Cadenza, Stinger, or G80. Plenty of options
@ Starbucks Pete. Lol. Bahaha. Dumb Auto correct.

All good options, but why not a nice moderate fwd Genesis similar to the beat seller sedan ES for Lexus. Why not attack the most significant sales segment for Lexus, fwd. just a suggestion.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-04-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:08 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

All good options, but why not a nice moderate fwd Genesis similar to the beat seller sedan ES for Lexus.
Whether right or not these are reasons I can think for why not:

- Keeps Genesis bespoke to premium RWD architecture
- Already established 3 sedans (G70, G80, G90) in small, medium, and large
- Hyundai Group has A LOT of sedans already
- They know you can't crack the Lexus ES egg. Sure they could make a better car, but we know past ES's while not the best can sell on name alone
- Genesis is trying to be taken seriously. 'Moderate' will not move the needle in their favor

IMO premium CUVs could be their calling.
Old 11-04-19, 08:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Whether right or not these are reasons I can think for why not:

- Keeps Genesis bespoke to premium RWD architecture

- They know you can't crack the Lexus ES egg. Sure they could make a better car, but we know past ES's while not the best can sell on name alone
Interesting POV. I think the rwd models across the established luxury brands is a tougher egg to crack than the ES.

Who know if it would work, It was nice chatting

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-04-19 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:24 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Interesting POV. I think the rwd models across the established luxury brands is a tougher egg to crack than the ES.
I believe they are doing well especially with the G70 receiving many accolades including winning comparison tests against the benchmark 3-Series. And the G90 seems to have conquered all but the S-Class (which won't happen) and the 7-Series which has been lambasted for its massive grill which could turn people off. IMO the next G80 is the most important since only the E-Class and 5-Series seemingly stand in it's way with GS in limbo, A6 is rare, Q70 is defunct etc..

Personally I think had the ES never been made, the GS would have flourished much better. But the ES is a cash cow, its tough to argue with profit.
Old 11-05-19, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Lexus doesn’t sell as many ES sedans as they do because it’s FWD. It’s the price point and the size that make it so appealing. Genesis has said they don’t want to play in that area, they want to keep their cars proper RWD layout and as a car enthusiast I think that’s a really compelling thing they’re doing.

I bought two ESs but if I could have bought a car just as nice that was RWD, I would have bought that. Most consumers don’t care or even know.
Old 11-05-19, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lexus doesn’t sell as many ES sedans as they do because it’s FWD. It’s the price point and the size that make it so appealing. Genesis has said they don’t want to play in that area, they want to keep their cars proper RWD layout and as a car enthusiast I think that’s a really compelling thing they’re doing.

I bought two ESs but if I could have bought a car just as nice that was RWD, I would have bought that. Most consumers don’t care or even know.
Hard to beat an ES when one is a realtor. That back seat legroom is ample and unencumbered
Old 11-05-19, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Hard to beat an ES when one is a realtor. That back seat legroom is ample and unencumbered
You see a ton of realtors with them....
Old 11-05-19, 02:36 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Throw an RX in there, and you’ve got 50% of the market share 😂.
Old 11-05-19, 03:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I’ve always said the ES is great with realtors... refined, unobtrusive, roomy, not ‘too’ flashy, and affordable for the realtor too.

Originally Posted by stasek
Throw an RX in there, and you’ve got 50% of the market share 😂.
Ha, and the RX is easier to get in and out of.
Old 11-05-19, 03:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Anyway, we’re rather off topic. Since a new G90 is right around the corner (unveil for u.s. next week!), this is probably done.
Old 11-05-19, 05:04 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Anyway, we’re rather off topic. Since a new G90 is right around the corner (unveil for u.s. next week!), this is probably done.
Coming full circle, this thread was started in 2015

Press Release:

'New Luxury' Takes Shape - Hyundai Motor Unveils Rendering of New G90

Hyundai Motor has revealed the first rendering of its new range-topping G90 luxury sedan, which is named EQ900 in Korea. The elegantly designed, technology packed G90 hints at the recently-launched Genesis brand's design identity and future direction.

Woong-Chul Yang, Head of Hyundai Motor R&D Center and Vice Chairman of Hyundai Motor, said, "Genesis' new large luxury sedan G90 will deliver a concept of 'New Luxury' to our customers. The G90 sits at the pinnacle of the Genesis brand and demonstrates how we apply our human-centered values to give our customer true satisfaction in every aspect of the vehicle ownership experience."

As the Genesis brand's flagship model, G90 is a blueprint for change and innovation that will distinguish the Genesis brand. Majoring on 'human-centered' technology combined with engaging driving dynamics, G90 boasts a raft of world-best safety features and technological innovations to set itself apart in the luxury market.

G90 also showcases the Genesis brand's hallmark design style 'Athletic Elegance', interpreted by the newly-formed Prestige Design Division to bring graceful and profound elegance to G90's significant proportions. Crowned by the Genesis emblem, the grand radiator grille combined with sophisticated headlamps communicates the car's dynamic, future-orientated character. A theme that flows along a body-length character line to the long and agile rear lamp cluster completes the Athletic Elegance of G90.

Hyundai Motor created the Genesis brand for a new generation of discerning consumers. Capitalizing on its success in the fast-growing global car market, Hyundai Motor will launch six new Genesis models by 2020.

The launch of G90 is scheduled for early next month in Korea.
The rendering was gorgeous. They claim this is 'Athletic Elegance', looks more elegant than athletic to me at least on the G90. The G70 attains that better

Must mean the GV70 and GV80 are around the corner. No idea what the 6th Genesis car is
Old 11-06-19, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And since we already have a 2020 G90 thread this one is done.