Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Frustrating thing about the X5 is that it's not even made in Germany. If I am buying a German brand, it better come from Germany and not Carolina
still no idea why where a car is made matters any longer and besides, if it "comes from Germany" or anywhere, no doubt it will contain parts made all over the world. so if you were in the market for a lexus rx you wouldn't buy one because it would likely be made in ontario?

and we know what you think about china and india... but in a few years the u.s. will be flooded with cars from china. what about s. korea? are they on your naughty or nice lists?
Old 02-13-18, 10:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
still no idea why where a car is made matters any longer and besides, if it "comes from Germany" or anywhere, no doubt it will contain parts made all over the world. so if you were in the market for a lexus rx you wouldn't buy one because it would likely be made in ontario?

and we know what you think about china and india... but in a few years the u.s. will be flooded with cars from china. what about s. korea? are they on your naughty or nice lists?
If Rolls Royce were to move production to China would that not be a discrace? What about if Rolex moved from Swiss production to India?

If you are buying a car or product and more specifically if you are paying a premium for it, does it not make it more special if comes from where the brand originates from? I have a few Burberry items that proudly say “Made In England” this to me adds to the allure of buying something that is premium priced, Burberry does make some stuff in China and other parts of the world. Buying a case of Corona Beer is even more of an speical when originates from Mexico. One of the beers husband and I buy in the summer is no longer imported from the US and is now brewed in Canada, and that would Miller Lite, it was really cool because all the MLB Logos were on the box and we are big MLB fans. I once returned a pair $350 Burberry jeans when I saw the “made in China” print

Also, historically. Brands find ways to cheapen and change their products in how they are made and this is a common practice in the United Strates. Pepsi and Coke went from real cane sugar to fructose in the USA only. Real sugar is still used in most parts of the world. Starbucks no longer hand pours their espresso beverages, they now use and automated machine, but they still market it as a”handcrafted “. Toyota has wonderfully given North American truck buyers a c channel from when all other trucks in the world with the Toyota logo use a boxed frame. So too were the trucks imported in the 80s and 90s. Apple is now cleverly removing such items as the iconic home button as well as the headphone jack.

If I am buying an American Cadillac, it would be nice to know it was made in the USA with American labor and even better the use of the union workers.

I completely get that sometimes products need to be more locally sourced and made in other places. My Corolla and Matrix were made in the US while my 4Runner and LX come from Japan. But if you buy a premium product, I feel it deserves to come from where the brand originates from.......as to where parts come from, a good many Toyota models are still almost 100% Japan sourced.....something also needs to be said about some Mazda’s that come from Japan and the Toyota Corolla iM is still made in Japan.

I should note, I think Rolex was originally made in England.

Where it is made, does that not mean something to you?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-13-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:22 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Rather have luxury and comfort than handing. Frustrating thing about the X5 is that it's not even made in Germany. If I am buying a German brand, it better come from Germany and not Carolina

A simple congrats would be nice.
Where it is made depends on strict quality control and quality of labor. One of our family MB was assembled in Hungary which has no issues.
Then few years back first Acura MDX produced in Alabama plant was a joke compared to ones assemble in Canada. Yup, X5 is assembled in
States. Usually luxury and comfort come with excellent handling vehicles. That's a given. Driver can select how he wants to drive the vehicle.
I picked up last Audi SQ5 Technik from Germany. Now they are assembled in Mexico.

Last edited by Htony; 02-13-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If Rolls Royce were to move production to China would that not be a discrace? What about if Rolex moved from Swiss production to India?
nope, not to me.

If you are buying a car or product and more specifically if you are paying a premium for it, does it not make it more special if comes from where the brand originates from?
again, not to me, know. rolls royces and jaguars are apparently both still made in britain, but of couse rolls royce is owned by bmw of germany and jaguar is owned by tata motors of india. the wwii loser and former british colony get their revenge.

and bmw doesn't seem to have had any issues making cars in s. carolina. mercedes had a bunch of issues initially in alabama, but seems to be doing just fine now.

I have a few Burberry items that proudly say “Made In England” this to me adds to the allure of buying something that is premium priced
Angela Ahrendts did her job very well at burberry and it's why she's worth hundreds of millions and is now a senior exec at apple. branding has huge power when wielded effectively.

Buying a case of Corona Beer is even more of an speical when originates from Mexico.
lol, corona's also good at marketing their AWFUL beer. and the lime gimmick is genius.

yeah the company was started by a german guy.

nope, not in the slightest. my computer monitor here was likely made in s. korea (lg), my dell laptop who knows where, probably china with final config/assembly maybe in texas, my jeep i assume was made in michigan, my ipad in china, i have stuff from all over.

there's capable people everywhere, but of course they have to have the right leadership, incentives, capital, and regulatory environment to be effective. if my next car came from china or the antarctica or peru or canada it wouldn't make any difference to me.

Old 02-13-18, 12:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If you are buying a car or product and more specifically if you are paying a premium for it, does it not make it more special if comes from where the brand originates from? I have a few Burberry items that proudly say “Made In England” this to me adds to the allure of buying something that is premium priced, Burberry does make some stuff in China and other parts of the world. Buying a case of Corona Beer is even more of an speical when originates from Mexico. One of the beers husband and I buy in the summer is no longer imported from the US and is now brewed in Canada, and that would Miller Lite, it was really cool because all the MLB Logos were on the box and we are big MLB fans. I once returned a pair $350 Burberry jeans when I saw the “made in China” print

Also, historically. Brands find ways to cheapen and change their products in how they are made and this is a common practice in the United Strates. Pepsi and Coke went from real cane sugar to fructose in the USA only. Real sugar is still used in most parts of the world. Starbucks no longer hand pours their espresso beverages, they now use and automated machine, but they still market it as a”handcrafted “. Toyota has wonderfully given North American truck buyers a c channel from when all other trucks in the world with the Toyota logo use a boxed frame. So too were the trucks imported in the 80s and 90s. Apple is now cleverly removing such items as the iconic home button as well as the headphone jack.

If I am buying an American Cadillac, it would be nice to know it was made in the USA with American labor and even better the use of the union workers.

I completely get that sometimes products need to be more locally sourced and made in other places. My Corolla and Matrix were made in the US while my 4Runner and LX come from Japan. But if you buy a premium product, I feel it deserves to come from where the brand originates from.......as to where parts come from, a good many Toyota models are still almost 100% Japan sourced.....something also needs to be said about some Mazda’s that come from Japan and the Toyota Corolla iM is still made in Japan.

I agree with you, but remember, it's preference. I think there is this feeling that people are somehow insulted, and that's not it. So if a BMW is made in SC by Americans, it's no good. That's not it at all. It's the heritage. If I ever managed to buy a new Corvette (I'd have to let bygones be bygones with the parent co.), it better be made in USA. Not Munich, not Stuttgart, not China, not India, not UK, not Canada. USA. It's the heritage of the product. If the 6 places I mentioned are insulted, then they took it the wrong way. Snap On tools...I researched, it's maybe 2011 when they experimented with removing USA from the hand tools, and they got a lot of push back.

Dodge Challenger? I believe they are made in Brampton, Ontario, I saw them driving around in 5's or 6's when I was up there last year, I'm ok with that.
XT5? Now I can't tell you how it differs from the SRX, but it does look nice.
Old 02-13-18, 12:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the younger generation truly won't care. you'd think they'd make the connection to lack of jobs but i doubt it, as long as their iphone works and the line at starbucks isn't too long...
Old 02-13-18, 12:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Dodge Challenger? I believe they are made in Brampton, Ontario...
so shouldn't a dodge challenger be made in michigan? or is it ok being made in canada because it's 'similar'?
Old 02-13-18, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

so shouldn't a dodge challenger be made in michigan? or is it ok being made in canada because it's 'similar'?

The Challenger is sold in Canada....and makes money for Dodge in that country. Why can't it be built there?

https://www.dodge.ca/en/challenger

That, of course, also goes for Cadillac, and the XT5.

http://www.cadillaccanada.ca
Old 02-13-18, 12:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I keep coming back looking for posts about the XT5. Silly me.
Old 02-13-18, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Challenger is sold in Canada....and makes money for Dodge in that country. Why can't it be built there?
i agree with you completely, but lexsCTJill thinks it's special if a vehicle is made in the country where the brand was started and i believe dodge is 'merican.

but yeah, we're way off topic...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-13-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i do note the xt5 is made both in tennessee usa and SHANGHAI china.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_XT5

the chinese model has a turbo 2.0 4

i wonder how long it will be before they import that to the u.s. like the buick envision.
Old 02-13-18, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

but yeah, we're way off topic...
That's why included I the XT5 in my last comment. What's good for the goose is good for the gander....although XT5 production is still currently at Spring Hill, TN (the original Saturn plant)...and at Shanghai for the Chinese-market version.

Oops...I see you also noted that, just as I posted LOL. Looks like two cooks stirring the broth.
Old 02-13-18, 02:32 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't realize the XT5 was also built in China. No wonder I'm seeing some XT5 parts for sale on ebay from China. Fancy headlight and taillight modules for $600+!
Old 02-13-18, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I didn't realize the XT5 was also built in China. No wonder I'm seeing some XT5 parts for sale on ebay from China. Fancy headlight and taillight modules for $600+!
Last year Caddy sold 68k (+73%) XT5's in the U.S. Makes you wonder how many they produce and sell in China..
Old 02-13-18, 03:11 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When I was shopping recently for a replacement for our Q5 I took a good look at the XT5. I think that it's a nice vehicle but my personal bias (same with the Lincoln MKX) isn't allowing me to buy a Caddy or Lincoln that lists at +$50k. Maybe in the future, but just not there yet. Same with a Genesis, but I'm warming up to them more now than when I replaced our last Lexus. It takes time and patience to change people's perception. . I hope both Caddy and Lincoln do well with their new directions.
Funny you compare SUV type to a car?

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5