Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus CT 200h could be replaced by sub-compact hybrid CUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lexus CT 200h could be replaced by sub-compact hybrid CUV

The Lexus CT 200h is an interesting vehicle that never really caught on. It's a sporty Prius in sleeker hatchback clothing and was aimed at the Audi A3 when it hit the market in 2011. Since then, though, the CT has averaged a meager 16,000 sales per year. For that reason, the hybrid hatch won't be redesigned at the end of its life cycle. And according to Lexus' European brand boss, Alain Uyttenhoven, it could be replaced by a crossover.

While you may lament yet another CUV hitting the market, Lexus needs a small car that sells in big numbers. Uyttenhoven told Autocar the brand aims to move 100,000 units per year in Europe to "give us visibility in the market." For 2016, European sales are on pace to hit just 70,000 units, with 10,000 of those coming from the CT 200h. He sees an opportunity for the right little Lexus based on the recent nature of the European luxury market.

According to Uyttenhoven, "a full 50 percent of the European luxury car market exists below the [$44,600] mark," and the only model Lexus has at that point is the CT. Put another way, the company has a remarkably slow seller as its sole representative for half of an entire continent's luxury market. Enter the crossover.

Replacing the CT with a crossover makes a great deal of sense. The body style is getting more and more popular by the day, especially in the sub-compact and compact markets. Adding a smaller model – below the current NX crossover but larger than the LF-SA concept shown in Geneva – would allow Lexus to challenge the Mercedes-Benz GLA, the BMW X1, and the Audi Q3.

We're betting the small crossover would use the Toyota C-HR as its basis and add a Lexus-correct heavily creased skin. Hybrid power is a given for the European market, where almost all Lexuses sold are gas-electric, but a conventional gas variant could join it in the US. That would give Lexus three hybrid CUVs in three popular sizes, alongside the NX and RX. With a forthcoming RX-based three-row on the horizon, the brand would have a full lineup of crossovers ready to take over the world. We'll miss the quirky CT when it goes, but it's hard to stop volume-driven progress.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/25/l...rid-crossover/
Old 05-25-16, 07:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta be en vogue to stay relevant.
Old 05-25-16, 07:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There goes that TX brand name. Kind of makes sense as it wasn't used for 3 rows RX
Old 05-25-16, 10:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Didn't they discuss a UX for this application?
Old 05-25-16, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Remember the raised CT spotted a year ago?

bye bye hybrid tech, hello turbo..
Old 05-25-16, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
bye bye hybrid tech, hello turbo..
maybe both?

Originally Posted by JDR76
Didn't they discuss a UX for this application?
maybe SUX instead?
Old 05-25-16, 11:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If the CT is to be replaced (regardless of what the replacement looks like or is labelled as) in the near future (i.e. in the next year or so), decisions would already have been made and the shape finalised some time ago. Those test mules we saw 1 or 2 or 3 years ago (dismissed by some as the NX) were very likely the CT replacement.

Lead times are very long in automotive and aerospace engineering and manufacturing. Although Autoblog is speculating at this point, Toyota / Lexus would have known for some time now (years) whether the CT will be replaced with CT Gen2 or some sub-compact crossover. Planning for the CT replacement would have started the moment CT Gen1 was first put into production.
Old 05-25-16, 05:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

maybe SUX instead?
it's copyrighted

Old 05-25-16, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
it's copyrighted
ha. i think that's trademarked, not copyrighted.
Old 05-26-16, 04:08 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The CT doesn't sell well because Toyota doesn't know what it is. A sporty hatchback to go against Euro hatches like the Golf or Astra? A quiet and comfy small cruiser like the Verano? Or just a Lexified Prius?

I don't mind the styling or the hybrid drivetrain but the hard and noisy ride go against the Lexus brand character.
Old 05-26-16, 10:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
The CT doesn't sell well because Toyota doesn't know what it is. A sporty hatchback to go against Euro hatches like the Golf or Astra? A quiet and comfy small cruiser like the Verano? Or just a Lexified Prius?

I don't mind the styling or the hybrid drivetrain but the hard and noisy ride go against the Lexus brand character.
But Toyota is known to learn quite quickly, so the 2Gen CT / CX should be a success. Perhaps Toyota needs to learn how to play both sides of the small hatchback / small crossover fence that other manufacturers are doing: Design a hatchback that can be boosted and butched up a bit, like the Infiniti Q30 / QX30, VW Golf / Golf Alltrack, Audi A4 / A4 Allroad, and the original Outback.
Old 05-26-16, 10:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Here's what I was referring to with the UX:

Lexus has trademarked both the UX 250 and UX 250h nameplates in Australia, giving us the first concrete evidence that a new crossover is coming.

As it stands, there are two crossovers that have been rumored for some time — a large three-row model that will slot above the RX, and a smaller sub-NX model that is reportedly based on the CT.

Judging from the engine codes, the subcompact crossover seems more likely — let’s break it down:

UX 250: Likely a 2.5L four-cylinder engine, perhaps the 178 horsepower 2AR-FE used in multiple Toyota applications.
UX 250h: The 250h designation is a mystery, as the 2.5L 2AR-FXE hybrid engine is classified as a 300h in the Lexus lineup. The 2.4L 2AZ-FXE engine found in the HS 250h is an option, but seems unlikely. We could be looking at a new hybrid engine with this trademark.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/02/...-in-australia/
Old 05-26-16, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
The CT doesn't sell well because Toyota doesn't know what it is.
nor does anyone else.

i tried to get in a ct one time and couldn't believe how low and cramped it was.

the hs250 (rip) was hideous to look at, but a MUCH better vehicle. if they'd made a 5 door version of that with better looks it could have done very well.
Old 05-26-16, 07:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
Here's what I was referring to with the UX:

Lexus has trademarked both the UX 250 and UX 250h nameplates in Australia, giving us the first concrete evidence that a new crossover is coming.

As it stands, there are two crossovers that have been rumored for some time — a large three-row model that will slot above the RX, and a smaller sub-NX model that is reportedly based on the CT.

Judging from the engine codes, the subcompact crossover seems more likely — let’s break it down:

UX 250: Likely a 2.5L four-cylinder engine, perhaps the 178 horsepower 2AR-FE used in multiple Toyota applications.
UX 250h: The 250h designation is a mystery, as the 2.5L 2AR-FXE hybrid engine is classified as a 300h in the Lexus lineup. The 2.4L 2AZ-FXE engine found in the HS 250h is an option, but seems unlikely. We could be looking at a new hybrid engine with this trademark.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/02/...-in-australia/
The 2.4L 2AZ engine is truly ancient.

If this is correct, I am thinking that it will be a 2-litre engine that Toyota uses for a new UX 250h Hybrid. Toyota now has 2 different 2L engines: There is the 3ZR engine related to the 1.8L 2ZR used in the Prius, and the 6AR used in the new Camry 2.0 and Lexus ES 200.
Old 05-27-16, 10:40 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that the CTh didn't sell well in other markets. I saw a nice amount back in Montreal and I see a nice amount here in Dublin. I am looking forward to seeing the next gen or what will replace it. I may not get the next gen or the replacement, but a used current gen. From what I saw, they are not that expensive. So it would be a great second car for the weekend or to use in the summer. The winter is Montreal would be brutal for something quite low.

Quick Reply: Lexus CT 200h could be replaced by sub-compact hybrid CUV