Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a Lexus with no dealer within 130 miles (advice)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 06:52 AM
LexusBC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Lexus with no dealer within 130 miles (advice)

So, since we live in Abilene, TX, the closest dealer is Sewell in Fort Worth. They are 130 miles away. For those that do not have a dealer near them, how do you deal with service, repairs, etc?

My only worry really is, what if the car breaks down, will the towing company tow it that far to fix it under warranty and how do I go about getting a rental/loaner?

I am looking at a CPO GS350 2014/2015 model with the F Sport package.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-16, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Toyota dealers can, in some cases, do service/maintenance and repairs on Lexus products (ask your Toyota Service Manager about that, and is particular dealership)....many of the parts and fluids used (filters, plugs, wiper blades, oil, coolant, etc.....) are the same as for Toyotas. But, for warranty-covered repairs, it usually has to be an authorized Lexus dealership because of the factory re-imbursement process.
Old 04-23-16, 07:50 AM
LexusBC
Rookie

I figured that much. Just more concerned on the other question I had. We do have a Toyota dealer here, and they did say they will service it for a cost and not for free if I had it included in anything.
Old 04-23-16, 09:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusBC
I figured that much. Just more concerned on the other question I had. We do have a Toyota dealer here, and they did say they will service it for a cost and not for free if I had it included in anything.
Toyota USA will be fix your Lexus if it is under warranty. If they cannot get it done at a Lexus dealer, they will find a place to do it.
Old 04-23-16, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-23-16, 11:28 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm surprised that the Lexus basic warranty or even Lexus extended warranties would not be honored at a Toyota dealership. Is this the standard rule?
Old 04-23-16, 03:30 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm surprised that the Lexus basic warranty or even Lexus extended warranties would not be honored at a Toyota dealership. Is this the standard rule?
I am really not sure. You would think they could. How is Lexus for towing long distances?
Old 04-23-16, 04:37 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

i would ask sewell lexus these questions .i was stationed at dyess in 1990.wasnt much there then...
Old 04-23-16, 05:05 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i would ask sewell lexus these questions .i was stationed at dyess in 1990.wasnt much there then...
There is now. Lots has changed since then. I just moved here 2.5 years ago myself and its nice. 130k people and it;s growing fairly fast.
Old 04-23-16, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I am really not sure. You would think they could. How is Lexus for towing long distances?
The odds of your Lexus needing to be towed are very slim. If you get the Premier AAA they will tow it up to 200 miles.

I'm sure that absent a local Lexus dealer they would honor the warranty at a local Toyota dealer.
Old 04-23-16, 07:12 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The odds of your Lexus needing to be towed are very slim. If you get the Premier AAA they will tow it up to 200 miles.

I'm sure that absent a local Lexus dealer they would honor the warranty at a local Toyota dealer.
Sewell is pretty awesome about service actually.

I'm sure they'd arrange to get you towed the 130 miles if necessary.
Old 04-23-16, 07:18 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Had warranty work on a previous ES done at a Toyota dealer when nearest Lexus dealer was 200 miles away, easy-peasy. Texas is a big state but dealers only in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso. Each dealership should have a protocol on how to service outlying customers. Ask to talk to a service advisor. I can tell North Park Lexus in SA does and services Lexus' all over, Corpus, Brownsville, Del Rio etc. If they don't give you an answer you like, move on to another dealer. I'm willing to bet money that Fort Worth Lexus dealers have plenty of customers on interstate 20 all the way to Odessa.

Last edited by jkeller; 04-23-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-24-16, 08:43 AM
LexusBC
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS

I am going to go talk to the Toyota dealer again. I ran into a car guy that drives a Lexus, and he told me that the dealer here is doing warranty work for him. I was like, interesting when they told me they don't. So I am going to confront them on that again.
Old 04-24-16, 08:44 AM
LexusBC
Rookie

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Sewell is pretty awesome about service actually.

I'm sure they'd arrange to get you towed the 130 miles if necessary.
That is what I have heard and can't wait to experience it.

Originally Posted by jkeller
Had warranty work on a previous ES done at a Toyota dealer when nearest Lexus dealer was 200 miles away, easy-peasy. Texas is a big state but dealers only in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso. Each dealership should have a protocol on how to service outlying customers. Ask to talk to a service advisor. I can tell North Park Lexus in SA does and services Lexus' all over, Corpus, Brownsville, Del Rio etc. If they don't give you an answer you like, move on to another dealer. I'm willing to bet money that Fort Worth Lexus dealers have plenty of customers on interstate 20 all the way to Odessa.
We only have one Toyota dealer here as well.
Old 04-24-16, 12:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are really 2 potential solutions:

1. Have the local Toyota dealer take care of any warranty items.

2. Have Sewell come pick up your car with a loaner any time you need warranty service. Of course, the downside here is that you put 250 miles on your car just to do the work.

Whatever the resolution: Get. It. In. Writing.

Quick Reply: Buying a Lexus with no dealer within 130 miles (advice)