Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oldsmobile Aurora??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 11:31 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

time for a bump here lol... doug reviewed the aurora!

Old 08-25-23, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

i mean just look at that... i can't contain myself looking at this thing. a fwd V8 omg hahaha...
I don't see any Ha-Ha in it. GM made a number of FWD V8s.....both with the Cadillac Northstar engine and the 5.3L LS4 V8 used in several Chevy, Buick, and Pontiac models. Ford also did a transverse FWD Yamaha-built V8 in some versions of the Taurus SHO.

And, don't forget...the original ground-breaking FWD Olds Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado, in 1966, used huge longitudinal-mounted V8s with a special chain-driven transaxle to the front wheels.

Having said that, though, personally, I did not like the Aurora at all (IMO, it was just too radically differently-styled from the long-successful 88s and 98s)...and, as I saw it, the Aurora strongly-contributed to the downfall of Olds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-23 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-25-23, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having said that, though, personally, I did not like the Aurora at all (IMO, it was just too radically differently-styled from the long-successful 88s and 98s)...and, as I saw it, the Aurora strongly-contributed to the downfall of Olds.
Not in the slightest. The Aurora was the last ditch effort to save Olds, and it brought buyers into the brand to consider the Aurora who would never have considered an Olds before, like my dad who considered one in 1995. What destroyed olds was the 88s and 98s, killed their brand image to where nobody under 70 would even consider one. There was a reason why the Aurora didnt have any Oldsmobile badging.
Old 08-25-23, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not in the slightest. The Aurora was the last ditch effort to save Olds, and it brought buyers into the brand to consider the Aurora who would never have considered an Olds before, like my dad who considered one in 1995. What destroyed olds was the 88s and 98s, killed their brand image to where nobody under 70 would even consider one. There was a reason why the Aurora didnt have any Oldsmobile badging.
Well, by your own admission, Olds did not fold until almost a full ten years after the Aurora was introduced. It was a viable, though somewhat weakened, company with the 88 and 98 in production.....but a company with one foot (and eventually both feet) in the grave with the Aurora. So, I can't agree that it was the Geezermobiles that killed Olds. The Aurora was redesigned into a significantly smaller 2Gen model (and, IMO, better-looking) with a V6 instead of the Northstar V8...that didn't help, either.
Old 08-25-23, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, by your own admission, Olds did not fold until almost a full ten years after the Aurora was introduced. It was a viable, though somewhat weakened, company with the 88 and 98 in production.....but a company with one foot (and eventually both feet) in the grave with the Aurora. So, I can't agree that it was the Geezermobiles that killed Olds. The Aurora was redesigned into a significantly smaller 2Gen model (and, IMO, better-looking) with a V6 instead of the Northstar V8...that didn't help, either.
Oldsmobile was not a company, it was a marketing division of GM. The point is the Aurora was not the cause of Olds' failure, it was an attempt to save it but it was already too far gone. Continuing to make nothing but geezermobiles would have hastened its demise.

For a time in the 90s, the Aurora made it feel like Olds might be salvageable. The reason it had one foot in the grave by the time they designed the Aurora means it wasn't the Aurora that put it there.
Old 08-25-23, 02:24 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

My dad at the time also was interested in the Aurora, as he had an 88 and was looking for something a bit different. personally, when things started going south, I thought they should have combined Oldsmobile and Saturn, giving Saturn owners something to step up to, which would have been an Aurora, be it a V6 or V8.
Old 08-25-23, 02:29 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You could still get the V8 if you wanted in the 2G Aurora. I agree with SW17LS on the geezermobiles killing the brand. Financial issues prevented the Aurora from moving further upmarket for its second generation. Worse, production of the 2G Aurora started in November 1999 and by December 2000 GM announced Oldsmobile was going to be shuttered. The 2G Aurora didn't even stand a chance against the headwinds previous poor product created.
Old 08-25-23, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
My dad at the time also was interested in the Aurora, as he had an 88 and was looking for something a bit different. personally, when things started going south, I thought they should have combined Oldsmobile and Saturn, giving Saturn owners something to step up to, which would have been an Aurora, be it a V6 or V8.
Olds, like Saturn, for a time, had a No-Dicker/MSRP-only policy at their dealerships (a policy that a lot of customers clearly liked).......but even that wasn't enough to keep them afloat.

Like I said earlier, Olds lost a LOT of customers when they ditched the 88/98....most of those customers ended up going to Buick, and some to the Mercury Grand Marquis or Chrysler 300.
Old 08-25-23, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You could still get the V8 if you wanted in the 2G Aurora.
Thanks....I had forgotten that stat.

I agree with SW17LS on the geezermobiles killing the brand.
Many of those geezers, though, ended up at Buick (which, at the time, was the main beneficiary of Olds' collapse)...some of them at Mercury or Chrysler. Olds essentially handed most those customers to Buick when the 88/98 were dropped....although there were a few exceptions, like jer's Dad, in the last post above, who did consider an Aurora.

Financial issues prevented the Aurora from moving further upmarket for its second generation.
Agreed...that was a significant, but not the only factor.

The 2G Aurora didn't even stand a chance against the headwinds previous poor product created.
Yes, you hit the nail the head....the 1Gen Aurora was the main problem. I agree with you that the 2Gen was actually a better product.
Old 08-25-23, 06:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

My god I hate these. Some of the worst cars to work on by far!
Old 08-25-23, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I understand a number of them had to have windshield and/or rear windows replaced because the warped glass would distort the view.
Old 08-25-23, 11:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
oh yeaaa look at that you joined the site just a few months after this thread last had any activity haha

any particular horror stories or general light you can otherwise shed on what makes them so bad to work on? looks like it was good i never pulled the trigger on one!
Old 08-26-23, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Many of those geezers, though, ended up at Buick (which, at the time, was the main beneficiary of Olds' collapse)...some of them at Mercury or Chrysler. Olds essentially handed most those customers to Buick when the 88/98 were dropped....although there were a few exceptions, like jer's Dad, in the last post above, who did consider an Aurora.
Just keep on making up your own reality lol. Talk to some auto journalists and historians.

Yes, you hit the nail the head....the 1Gen Aurora was the main problem. I agree with you that the 2Gen was actually a better product.
Thats not what he said. The previous product he talked about were Oldsmobiles before the Aurora. The Aurora was not a poor product, it was a very well regarded product that sold pretty well and got Oldsmobile a lot of attention.

NO auto reviewer or journalist preferred the second gen Aurora. You like it because it’s more mainstream and you like mainstream stuff and don’t like change.

Lots of people who bought Lincoln’s and foreign luxury cars in the 90s looked at Auroras. When I was a kid at our country club there were probably a dozen Auroras, and you would never have seen another Oldsmobile there. My dad considered an Aurora beside the Continental, Seville STS and Lexus LS400 in 1995 and that would never have happened with any other Oldsmobile. A couple of the salespeople executives at his company also had Auroras who would never have considered an Oldsmobile.
Old 08-26-23, 09:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 868 Likes on 695 Posts

I completely forgot about this car.

That's how much I love it. Lol
Just messing, but true. .
Old 08-26-23, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just keep on making up your own reality lol.
Not making anything up. I lived through those days, followed them quite closely, and remember them well.

NO auto reviewer or journalist preferred the second gen Aurora. You like it because it’s more mainstream and you like mainstream stuff and don’t like change.
I never said I really liked it that much. What I said was that I thought it was better than the first-generation.

Some automotive publications/reviewers also preferred the 2Gen. Of the ones I've seen, a few said it was a much better product, but more of them seemed to say marginally better.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Aurora??