Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Takes #1 in Consumer Reports Reliability/Performance Ranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
In other words, how many 15+ year old Audis are still even on American roads? You maybe see one or two a month whereas you see dozens of 90's Era Lexus on the road every day, maybe every hour in any large city. That tells me more than reading some chart that tells you Brand A is more reliable than Brand B.
I don't think the report was indicative of long-term reliability, but then I wouldn't want to own a 15+ year old Audi or Lexus. (Although the SC is still a beautiful car.) Do you really think they are sending out these surveys to owners of 10+ year-old cars?
Old 02-24-16, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I don't think the report was slanted toward long-term reliability, but then I wouldn't want to own a 15+ year old Audi or Lexus. (Although the SC is still a beautiful car.)
You're correct. It generally works with data just a few years old or less. Data collected this year, of course, will go into next year's rating. That's why CR comes out with new list every year.
Old 02-24-16, 08:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't think the report was indicative of long-term reliability, but then I wouldn't want to own a 15+ year old Audi or Lexus. (Although the SC is still a beautiful car.) Do you really think they are sending out these surveys to owners of 10+ year-old cars?
Well, in that case, who cares about reliability at all? If you switch your car every few years and it has a warranty, reliability shouldn't even be a factor. In that scenario, the car is just an appliance, a tool for transport that you are not attached to. Worst case scenario is you get to drive a nice loaner car for a few days.

What's the point of these charts for "new car" reliability? Not like you pay for repairs out of pocket. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and your dealership is very far away, I can see it becoming a hassle of going back and forth for service.
Old 02-24-16, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Well, in that case, who cares about reliability at all? If you switch your car every few years and it has a warranty, reliability shouldn't even be a factor. In that scenario, the car is just an appliance, a tool for transport that you are not attached to. Worst case scenario is you get to drive a nice loaner car for a few days.

What's the point of these charts for "new car" reliability? Not like you pay for repairs out of pocket. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and your dealership is very far away, I can see it becoming a hassle of going back and forth for service.
While I understand what you are saying, I will keep my S5 for 2 years and if you think during those 2 years it will be an appliance or a tool for transport that I am not attached to you couldn't be more wrong. Have you driven one? And yes, I only care about how reliable it is while I have it.
Old 02-24-16, 08:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

While I understand what you are saying, I will keep my S5 for 2 years and if you think during those 2 years it will be an appliance or a tool for transport that I am not attached to you couldn't be more wrong. Have you driven one? And yes, I only care about how reliable it is while I have it.
No Sir, but I have driven many Audis. The latest one being a 15 RS7 modified 10 second car.
Like I said, they are nice, but not something you wanna hang on to for a long time unless you got deep pockets. Not exactly service or DIY friendly vehicles.
Old 02-24-16, 08:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CR usually does reports for vehicles up to a certain timeline. They actually do surveys after that so that those, black and red dots on their surveys give you an idea about what a car does beyond its initial testing.

It is amazing that Audi has risen this far. Car guys are always tempted with cars. Mid, late 90's Audi A8 that's my guilty pleasure. Would love it but I would never touch it. I'll take the SC400
Old 02-24-16, 08:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I have no hesitation in saying that Lexus is far more reliable than Audi in the long-term. I've owned many more Lexuses in my lifetime than Audis. However, if I'm only going to hang onto my cars for 3 years or less that really doesn't mean anything to me. That is the audience these reports are created for.

And if I'm going to buy a 10 year-old car, it will also be a Lexus rather than an Audi. The newest SC300/400s are 15 years old and still running strong.
Old 02-24-16, 08:39 PM
sharkbite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Sir, but I have driven many Audis. The latest one being a 15 RS7 modified 10 second car.
Like I said, they are nice, but not something you wanna hang on to for a long time unless you got deep pockets. Not exactly service or DIY friendly vehicles.
I don't picture a person with deep pockets settling for an Audi. Why not shoot straight for a Mercedes, Porsche, or Tesla?
Old 02-24-16, 08:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
CR is a good benchmark. No one needs to rely on it alone though do they? At various times CR would have told to avoid Audi like the flu.

But context says this; if someone told you tomorrow that you can review something and they'll fly you there, accommodate you there, and pay for you to have a great little mini-vacay - would you do it and write a positive review?

Quite a few auto reviewers brag about never really having to drive their 20 year old Toyota station wagon because most of the time, they spend their time in brand new review-vehicles.

CR buys their vehicles just like regular people do. It tests them like auto engineers would - CR testers are engineers. How does that compare to car magazines and online sites that feature people who have no engineering or testing background?
Have you listened to Autoblog podcasts or read their reviews. By far they are the best

They will fly out and do the whole press junket stuff. But on the podcasts, they will rip a car apart and it can get pretty nasty

I remember a reader request went "Can you make fun of the Tundra for 5 minutes?" And they were mean.

Generally, speaking they will say a car sucks after driving their weekly vehicle if it is the case. They say the things that **** them off or the things that they really like.

They do seem to like America vehicles more than Japanese, however they never doubt Japanese reliability.
Old 02-24-16, 08:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

As someone who switches cars every few years, it is very annoying to have your need to go in for service very often. Time is precious and I do not intend to spend it ferrying broken cars back and forth from the dealer. On top of that, I love cars and like to play the field so I see them as more than just an appliance.
Old 02-24-16, 08:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah it always comes down to dollars and long term ownership costs. I agree about long term luxury car ownership. You take your chances.

My 2GS as a part timer runs over railroad crossings and pavement wrinkles without even breathing hard. Very solid.

Sometimes when it's cold there's some minor dash buzzing but other than that - there are zero rattles, noises and anything remotely close to harsh ride. That's with 17 inch factory winter tires on 45 series size.

It costs a lot when it needs maintenance but it won't cost much more than a used German car. The Audis, BMW's and MB's - don't see them much around my town.
Old 02-24-16, 08:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then why doesn't that work for Cadillac and Lincoln, which, at least in the past, shared much of the same demographics as Buick? Their reliability level is both substantially below Buick.
The answer to that is quite easy. For over two decades now, Cadillac has turned into the bling nightclub car of choice. That involves a very low median age, and one who severely abuses cars and drives under other influences.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 02-24-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The answer to that is quite easy. For over a decade now, Cadillac has turned into the bling nightclub car of choice. That involves a very low median age, and one who severely abuses cars and drives under other influences.
Somewhat of a stereotype, but, yes, there is at least some truth to that. But I think that would involve the Escalade more than the rest of the Cadillac line-up.
Old 02-24-16, 09:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you listened to Autoblog podcasts or read their reviews. By far they are the best

They will fly out and do the whole press junket stuff. But on the podcasts, they will rip a car apart and it can get pretty nasty

I remember a reader request went "Can you make fun of the Tundra for 5 minutes?" And they were mean.

Generally, speaking they will say a car sucks after driving their weekly vehicle if it is the case. They say the things that **** them off or the things that they really like.

They do seem to like America vehicles more than Japanese, however they never doubt Japanese reliability.
Well you have to remember that credibility and hyperbole are not substitutes for real world testing. It doesn't matter what brand-loyalty a reviewer has, I just want to know who bought him/her their airfare, track day, dinner etc.

I recall that Canadian reviewers didn't want anyone to know any of that for quite awhile. Then they mysteriously decided they should tell you who paid for their hotels, airfare and fancy track testing.
Old 02-24-16, 09:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well you have to remember that credibility and hyperbole are not substitutes for real world testing. It doesn't matter what brand-loyalty a reviewer has, I just want to know who bought him/her their airfare, track day, dinner etc.

I recall that Canadian reviewers didn't want anyone to know any of that for quite awhile. Then they mysteriously decided they should tell you who paid for their hotels, airfare and fancy track testing.
Fair enough.

Quick Reply: Audi Takes #1 in Consumer Reports Reliability/Performance Ranking