Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Checked out a Buick Cascada convertible today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Checked out a Buick Cascada convertible today.

This is NOT a formal MM-review, but I thought I'd share my experiences today with Buick's new Cascada.

While getting my Verano serviced today, the Buick shop had two Cascadas...a white one in the showroom and a blue one on the lot. My sales guy (the one that sold me my Verano) offered me a test-drive, but I declined for now. I did check it out thoroughly, though, from stem to stern....you can easily tell it comes from the Verano's Opel platform. I might (?) test-drive one later, but I can see it might not be the car for me. I can fit under the low roofline OK (the relative thinness of the fabric top, of course, compared to a hardtop, adds headroom). But the seats, though decently padded, are not as comfortable for me as the BIG overstuffed ones in the Verano...the sharply-bolstered edges are too narrow for my butt and torso. They are obviously designed for much smaller, narrower people with a semi-sporting theme. The interior/exterior hardware, door solidness, and general quality of construction is superb......MUCH better than what we saw with the tinny Chrysler convertibles in the past. As I expected, it has a smaller rear seat than the Chryslers did.....basically for two kids instead of two normal-sized adults. The dash/gauges and console is very similar to the Verano's with only minor differences in the control/button layout. I didn't like the big standard 20-inch wheels/40-series tires and 35-PSI recommendation....even without a formal test-drive to verify it, it can almost be guaranteed to give a too-firm ride for my tastes, and not have much protection for the tires on pothole-impacts. Nor did I like the red/orange dash lighting instead of the Verano's light-blue. Nor did I like the loss of the Buick hood/fender portholes, but that is a minor trivial thing, and nothing to really complain about. Overall, though I like its Verano/Opel build-solidness, it may not be the car for me.

Not everyone is as physically big as me, though, or shares my particular tastes in cars.....and I still think, after an inspection, that this car stands a good chance of capturing a good part of what was formerly the market for the Chrysler convertibles.

Well................

Before I left, I DID change my mind and take my old salesman up on a Cascada test-drive, simply because I figured that the way this car was selling (it's hot right now, just like virtually any new convertible), I might not get another chance soon, if they couldn't keep them in stock. So, I took the blue one outside for a little spin....beautiful medium bluish-gray color, sightly more on the side of blue.

Turned out to be a PITA. First, the car was squeezed in its space tight with other cars on either side of it, and the long, heavy doors left no room for my big frame to squeeze in. After trying almost everything I could think of on the driver's side (and accidentally putting some marks on both the Cascada's door edge and the door of the Regal parked next to it, having to rub them out with my SCRATCH-OUT), I finally had to take my shoes off, VERY narrowly get in the passengers' side, reach down on the ground, grab my slip-on shoes, place them on the floor-mat, slide my big butt over the console into the drivers' seat, bring my feet and socks gently around and over the console being careful not to mar or kick anything, finally get settled into the drivers' seat and buckled in, adjusting the seat and mirrors, and slipping my shoes back on. Then, when I tried the ignition....nothing. The key wouldn't even turn in the slot, until I spent the next two minutes (and a lot of control-jiggling) figuring out that I was using my Verano's key, which was identical-looking and fit the ignition key-hole perfectly, but wouldn't turn (both cars, of course, use the Opel Astra-type ignition switch).

Then, when I got the 1.6L turbo four engine started with the proper key (typical NVH issues for a small four at idle), just as I took off, I noticed my wallet was missing. I had to stop, back up, get out of the car, hunt for it.........only to find that it had slipped out of my front pocket and fallen down next to the seat. OK....FINALLY back to normal, and I can go on with the test-drive.

I could have asked my salesman, who is also tall but thinner and more agile than me, to get in that tight space and pull it out for me, but he was busy delivering a new Chevy Impala to a customer (a car that I think very highly of, BTW), and I didn't want to get involved and hold him up, except to give the new customer a complimentary bottle of SCRATCH OUT for his new car, as I had a couple of extra small bottles with me.

I won't go into the Cascada's general road manners much, because it drives and handles pretty much the same as a Verano sedan, though the small turbo four does seem slightly more responsive but also a little noisier than the larger non-turbo 2.4L four in my own car (the top, of course, also does not have as much sound-insulation as the five-layers of insulation in a Verano roof). The big 20" wheels and low profile tires, even with a few extra PSI in the tires (35 front and rear is recommended) were not as harsh as I had expected, but firmer than I generally like. The TINY peep-hole window-slot in back was worse than looking out of a bunker......fortunately, back-up cameras are now standard on virtually all new vehicles sold in America. I noticed very little cowl-shake (a bane of almost all but the most rigid and expensive convertibles)....and just a very minor audible creak in the structure here and there with the top up or down. Lowering and raising the top is simple....just pull or push a chrome ring-tab on the console, let the electro-mechanical hardware do its stuff, and listen for a confirming beep to let you know it's locked and ready to go. Power windows go up or down separately with conventional switches (there are also two small rear windows in back)......they don't automatically go up or down with the top, except, like with BMW convertibles, to drop down a couple of inches when opening or closing doors. According to the factory, the top can go up and down when the car is moving at low speeds, but I am a firm believer in coming to a full stop, if possible, with any convertible before raising/lowering it, to help prevent wind-damage and/or stress on the top and electric motors. I didn't keep the top down very long, because it was a cool dry day here in the D.C. area (47 degrees), and other drivers were already giving me funny looks LOL. It comes with a wind-blocker that's installed before delivery (I didn't bother with it), but I didn't have many wind-buffeting problems at lower speeds (I didn't really get to any high speeds on the Interstate). One difference between the Cascada and Verano sedan, on the windshield-header, is that the Verano comes with nice felt-fabric-covered sun-visors, while the Cascada, a more expensive car than the Verano (this Cascada listed for some 36K) uses cheaper hard-plastic visors. Go figure.

When I got back, yet one more PITA. I had set the dealer test-drive-license plate, with its magnetic-strip, on the inside back ledge, as I didn't know what kind of convertible aerodynamics might blow it off the rear of the car. When I lowered the top, I heard a metallic cling in back, and I instantly knew what happened....the metal license-plate had fallen down into the drop-top compartment. Even after raising the top back up, I had to stick my hand and fingers into a very narrow crevasse to retrieve the plate, inching it back out through the opening, and, after locking the car back up, take it back inside and hand it to my salesman. I thanked him for the test-drive, picked up my Verano at the cashier (on the oil-change, they had found a very minor oil-leak and put some dye in the oil to track it, but otherwise a clean bill of health), and then went off and had lunch.

I must stress that these PITA's were generally not the car's fault......simply the particular circumstances of my test-drive, my own absent-mindedness today, and the way it was parked. Most owners would probably not be affected by them.
Old 02-17-16, 04:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sucks that you didn't fit in it. Even in those pictures the seats look rather narrow, the bolsters look to be hugging even the tiny little model. Which personally I like that feel in a sports car, but this thing isn't really a sports car. I can't imagine myself really hurling it around corners where you actually need bolsters on the seats.
Old 02-17-16, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Only in the world of mmarshall.....
Old 02-17-16, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Sucks that you didn't fit in it. Even in those pictures the seats look rather narrow, the bolsters look to be hugging even the tiny little model. Which personally I like that feel in a sports car, but this thing isn't really a sports car. I can't imagine myself really hurling it around corners where you actually need bolsters on the seats.
I can almost fit into the seats (it's pretty close)......if they the bolsters were maybe a half-inch wider on each side, it would be perfect. But that half-inch-to-an-inch does make a difference. And, unlike the seats, I had plenty of room under the fabric roof with the seat-cushioned lowered.

Which personally I like that feel in a sports car, but this thing isn't really a sports car. I can't imagine myself really hurling it around corners where you actually need bolsters on the seats.
No, you're right, this is not a true sports car. It is a fun-in-the-sun drop-top sports-coupe....not intended to compete with the Miata or Fiat Spyder. Right now, with the Chrysler convertibles gone, its closest competitors in the American market would probably be the VW EOS or possibly the Audi A3 Cabriolet. The 1.6L turbo has a decent amount of power (206 ft-lbs. of torque), but, IMO, the 2.0T used in the Verano Turbo and Regal GS would have been a better choice for a car with at least sporting intensions, if not a true sports car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-16 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Only in the world of mmarshall.....
My avitar and signature mean what they say, Jill.......Let's Talk Cars.

And my logo?.....................Driving is Believing.
Old 02-17-16, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing for the price that the car is rigid enough not to exhibit much body flex and cowl shake. Our G37 Vert was over $50k and still has lots of flex. The Audi S5 Cab (over $60k) is very solid.

Not too crazy about the looks of the Cascada. Reminds me in an odd way of the old Toyota Solara.
Old 02-17-16, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Amazing for the price that the car is rigid enough not to exhibit much body flex and cowl shake. Our G37 Vert was over $50k and still has lots of flex. The Audi S5 Cab (over $60k) is very solid.

Well, it's not quite the Rock of Gibraltar convertible frame/chassis-strength and resistance to cowl shake in the same manner that the Mercedes SL is. But it's not bad by convertible standards, and far better than the poorly-built Chrysler LeBaron and Sebring convertibles were. One reason for that is the heavy-duty Opel-derived hardware and underpinnings used on this car....an Opel trademark. Opel is noted for building somewhat heavy vehicles (their last-generation products were the same way)....but that weight comes from strength and solidness. Your Audi S5 convertible is also solid because of German design in the frame. The G37 vert, of course, has Japanese and French roots.

Not too crazy about the looks of the Cascada. Reminds me in an odd way of the old Toyota Solara.
It's smaller than the old Solara was........and the Chrysler convertibles.
Old 02-17-16, 07:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I hope the folks at Scratch Out pay you generously

....and before you reply and tell me you don't get paid for recommending scratch out I know...I was only kidding!
Old 02-17-16, 07:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The great question is, when was the last time a Detroit car company and Buick especially put out a convertible to get people interested?

It would never sell in large numbers and it's not a really useful car. But it is a halo car. The Buick Regal never got any traction even though it was widely praised for its handling and ride.

One test of these cars is how they look with the convertible top down and then up. This one looks good.
Old 02-17-16, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I hope the folks at Scratch Out pay you generously

....and before you reply and tell me you don't get paid for recommending scratch out I know...I was only kidding!

Actually, I bought the company.

(J/K)
Old 02-17-16, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The great question is, when was the last time a Detroit car company and Buick especially put out a convertible to get people interested?
Buick didn't really put out this convertible. It is actually the European Opel/Vauxhall Cascada with a couple of very small differences...such as Buick trim, sound-system, and logos. It's probably the most cookie-cutter-rebadged European car I've ever seen for sale in the U.S. under an American nameplate....even more so than its also-Opel-derived Regal/Encore/Verano cousins. The relationship to the Opel version is remarkable....they are virtually identical.

It would never sell in large numbers and it's not a really useful car. But it is a halo car.
My prediction, though, especially with scandal-ridden VW effecting EOS convertible sales, is that this car will capture a good chunk of the former Chrysler convertible market. While the Audi A3 Cabriolet Is also an option, more ex-Chrysler people will probably shop at Buick stores than Audi.

The Buick Regal never got any traction even though it was widely praised for its handling and ride.
The Regal ended up being squeezed from both sides, causing mediocre sales. The Verano substantially undercut it in price and was almost as much car (though lacking the Regal's AWD option), while the Regal's stiffer sport-sedan underpinnings (especially on the GS model) turned off many traditional comfort-oriented Buick buyers and sent them one size larger into the LaCrosse. The LaCrosse, though, IMO, lacks the Verano's and Regal's build-solidness.

One test of these cars is how they look with the convertible top down and then up. This one looks good.
Agreed also from my point of view, though some might find it too conservative for their tastes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-16 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 08:30 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time people think GM is releasing some good products, management goes back to their old habits and badge engineers turds and tries conning the public into buying them. I have a bad history with that company and will certainly never consider a vehicle from them again.
Old 02-17-16, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Every time people think GM is releasing some good products, management goes back to their old habits and badge engineers turds and tries conning the public into buying them. I have a bad history with that company and will certainly never consider a vehicle from them again.
The only problem with that line of thought is that today's rebadged Buick/Opels ARE good products. In fact, according to Consumer Reports, brand-wise, Buick leads all American nameplates in across-the-board vehicle-reliability.

However, GM still makes some sub-standard products, even today. There are some vehicles they produce that I myself wouldn't buy, either.....chief among them being the Chevy Spark and Cadillac XTS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 09:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2

Car & Driver reports that the new Buick feels stiffer and more solid than a BMW 6 series convertible. That was something that they thought they would never say. Also, very little body roll. Extra bracing and structure additions have been added.

Only issue I see is that the rear suspension like the Cruze/Verano, Corolla, and other small cars is not independent.
Old 02-17-16, 09:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I don't think Buick is going to have any issue selling this car. It will sell in limited numbers but it should sell. Sales by Buick are in the 225k range the so the brand is probably strong enough for a car like this.

Quick Reply: Checked out a Buick Cascada convertible today.