Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What small SUV to buy? I have a headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 05:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't the Audi Q3 the same size as the NX200t?

Old 02-18-16, 06:41 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If resale and diy maintenance is of any value in your decision, the RDX may be the best choice.
Old 02-18-16, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Have you considered the upcoming 2017 Audi Allroad wagon? The new gen due in the fall is an attractive vehicle and you don't see too many of them here in the U.S. I've read that it will have 272 hp. (a couple of other reports said 252 hp.),

I'm in he same boat as you, looking for a replacement for our Q5 and have considered all of the models you listed. The 2017 Q5 would be a no brainer for us, but the new gen will come from a brand new plant in Mexico so it's off the board for now. The GLC is high on our list right now, but as mentioned, gets pricey.
I really like the Allroad, but I checked out the forums and it seems there are more issues with that particular model than there are with other Audis. If I'm not mistaken, I think it costs a bit more coin than the models I listed.
Old 02-18-16, 06:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Isn't the Audi Q3 the same size as the NX200t?

Yes it is, and I've considered it but Q5 owners in the Audi forums who have had them as loaner cars have not been at all impressed. It is a great size with all the latest technology, but the price point dictates that it just isn't as well finished as some of the others and has more NVH.
Old 02-19-16, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I personally am pretty underwhelmed by whats out there in the small luxury SUV segment. The NX, RDX, X1, etc don't really appeal to me at all. I like the looks of the X1 outside, but hate the interior, seats, etc. The front seats almost look like flat jump seats.

The only vehicle in that segment that I have seen that I would buy is a Mercedes GLC.I haven't driven one but spent a good bit of time with one at the car show and really liked it. Its the only vehicle to me that doesn't scream "Yeah I'm kinda crappy, but I'm the cheapest [insert brand] SUV you can buy!". The NX does'n't 100% feel that way to me, but I don't like the styling of the non F Sport, and the seats of the F Sport are too restrictive for me.

I've been looking at small SUVs for my mother, and she's likely going to get a Mazda CX-5. I don't really see a compelling reason to chose any of these over something like that except the GLC.
Old 02-19-16, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

recap...

Originally Posted by dseag2
When our lease is up on our G37 Vert we are planning on leasing a small SUV. ... we need something that can fit 4 people comfortably and haul stuff. I'm seriously considering the following and just get more confused as I read the reviews:
  • Lexus NX 200t
  • Acura RDX
  • Lincoln MKC
  • Infiniti QX50
  • Audi Q5
  • Maybe Infiniti QX30?
... Also, don't want to spend considerably more than $50k. Any input is welcome.
Originally Posted by dseag2
Great suggestion, but just not a fan of M-B or BMW. Not enough experience with either. Also, loaded GLC is around $58k. ... The SUV will be the workhorse.
so you want a 'workhorse' not north of $50k that is about as long as your g37 converible.

from all that, if it's a work horse, i believe you should get a loaded touring cx5. great vehicle nicely refreshed for '16. the rdx would likely be smoother and quieter and for '16 it had a major refresh also. you can get led headlights and all the goodies. edmunds review:
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2016/review/

i suspect you won't want these as it sounds like you want a more 'prestigious brand'.

the 'small' cuvs though will NOT 'comfortably' seat 4 unless the rear seat occupants are smaller children or the adults are short, and won't 'haul' much, being more like tall hatchbacks.

if you want to spend more, get a macan.

and i don't think you should rule out bmw x1 or mb glc, etc. without at least driving them.
Old 02-19-16, 09:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

For that $35k to 50k price bracket, I'd still go with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lot more room than everything else you're looking at, interior is no bs genuinely nice, lots of technology, great off road, can tow a big load. My main thing is the Grand Cherokee has a certain rugged, masculine vibe and style about it, something I can't say of the jacked up station wagons that populate most of this segment. I know its a good bit bigger, but I googled the size, its 6" longer than your old Infiniti convertible, hopefully it would fit in the garage.

I just do not get the appeal of these little tiny SUV's like the NX, X1, Q3, etc. Not enough room and you're paying a heady premium for the badge IMO. Cars like the Mazda CX-5, Rav4, CR-V, etc give you a lot more room. I just feel like you're way over-paying for the amount of room you get in those entry level luxury SUV's.
Old 02-19-16, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree 100% about the Jeep. Loved ours.
Old 02-19-16, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
For that $35k to 50k price bracket, I'd still go with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
i certainly agree as that's what i drive.

it's certainly bigger than some of the vehicles mentioned, but i like it because it's not huge. the short front overhang looks awesome and i love the interior and tech. i'm also quite the fan of the v6 in mine too - it's plenty fast enough and decent fuel economy given the jgc's hefty heft. i get consistent 21-22 mixed city/highway (and mine's a loaded summit).
Old 02-19-16, 10:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i certainly agree as that's what i drive.

it's certainly bigger than some of the vehicles mentioned, but i like it because it's not huge. the short front overhang looks awesome and i love the interior and tech. i'm also quite the fan of the v6 in mine too - it's plenty fast enough and decent fuel economy given the jgc's hefty heft. i get consistent 21-22 mixed city/highway (and mine's a loaded summit).
Wow, that's really great fuel economy. I thought it would be doing maybe 17-19 in mixed driving.
Old 02-19-16, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Totally agree with the JGC from a purely driving/riding point of view.......luxurious, refined, nice interior, space efficient, good outward visibility, nice powertrain. My biggest hesitation would be potential reliability....some of them seem well-made; others troublesome. Bit, you and SW15LS had reliable ones, but, SW15GS, wasn't one of the two you owned unreliable? I've also seen a number of reliability complaints in the Jeep forums.
Old 02-19-16, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Totally agree with the JGC from a purely driving/riding point of view.......luxurious, refined, nice interior, space efficient, good outward visibility, nice powertrain. My biggest hesitation would be potential reliability....some of them seem well-made; others troublesome. Bit, you and SW15LS had reliable ones, but, SW15GS, wasn't one of the two you owned unreliable? I've also seen a number of reliability complaints in the Jeep forums.
It was not "unreliable" it just had a lot of little warranty electrical glitches, my 2011. The newer ones are doing much better, I would buy another one without reservation.

Certainly none of the vehicles he's considering, save the NX or RDX, are going to be for sure more reliable than the Jeep. The Jeep is IMHO a much more appealing product than anything in this segment, including the CX-5, its just a different vehicle. For instance, a Grand Cherokee wouldn't be the right fit for my mom but a CX-5 would be fine.
Old 02-19-16, 04:06 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I did a very similar query for myself recently (see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-new-suv.html).

Here are the brief conclusions I made when going through the vehicles:

- RDX : good value, but otherwise not very luxurious (high end CRV4 with V6)
- MDX : cheap materials, not as big inside as I thought, but great handling and power
- NX200t : terrible turbo lag, but luxurious inside and out
- RX350 (new gen) : Very upscale with great room, power, and design
- Q50 (EX35L) : Great value, although outdated design
- Venza : Choppy ride with 20", but good power for V6, and roomy inside
- Highlander : Deceptively cavernous inside, great power, but can be pricey when optioned
- RAV4 Limited Hybrid : Rides like normal RAV4, so just so-so interior, better looks, and just ok power
- Murano : Great value (when discounted), very stylish inside and out, and good power
- X1 : Much better inside and out then last gen model, but can be $$$
- Santa Fe Sport : Really laggy off the line (due to dual clutch), but nice on the inside. Hard to find though, so no price flexibility.

All in all, I really liked the Murano, Highlander, and Venza which are all priced around low to high 30K's depending on how you equip it.
Old 02-19-16, 05:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
you tend to paint with a broad brush in summarizing the entire back history of any model, including the grand cherokee. but things can and do change quickly from year to year, even month to month. in the '14 gc they put the ZF designed 8 speed auto in and that had some software issues initially, for sure. by the time i got one (a '15, a year ago) the issues were resolved. my grand cherokee has had a sum total of ZERO issues in 14K mi of enjoyable driving. i've only gone to the dealer twice, for free oil changes and a free tire rotation. it's a great luxury vehicle!
Old 02-19-16, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My 2014 was the same in the 14k miles we had it, but it was a very late run 2014 model. The early 2014s had issues with the software in the tranny like you said, and also some issues with the new uconnect infotainment...some of those problematic vehicles were VERY bad, but I still keep up with the Jeep forums and there is no doubt things are doing much better now.

Buddy of mine at work was going to buy a 4Runner and I told him he had to drive a JGC first, he did and bought an Overland and LOVES it. He has no issues either. My neighbor has a mid-run 2014 Limited, 100% trouble free also. Its his third WK2 JGC, he had a 2011 Limited, a 2013 Summit, and this 2014 Limited. He had a couple glitches with the 2013, but the 2014 has been perfect.

Quick Reply: What small SUV to buy? I have a headache