Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What small SUV to buy? I have a headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What small SUV to buy? I have a headache

When our lease is up on our G37 Vert we are planning on leasing a small SUV. We will trade our S5 Coupe for an S5 Cabriolet so we can still enjoy our top-down driving on nice, sunny days, but we need something that can fit 4 people comfortably and haul stuff. I'm seriously considering the following and just get more confused as I read the reviews:
  • Lexus NX 200t
  • Acura RDX
  • Lincoln MKC
  • Infiniti QX50
  • Audi Q5
  • Maybe Infiniti QX30?

Anything I am missing? Want something relatively small that will take the place of our G37 Vert in the garage. Also, don't want to spend considerably more than $50k. Any input is welcome.
Old 02-16-16, 08:11 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MB GLC
Old 02-16-16, 08:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you driven any of them? There aren't any "terrible" ones in the segment you're looking at.

Lexus NX - Very well rounded, not the best at anything, but not the worst.
Acura RDX - This was a little plain before, but the latest refresh brought some much needed available convenience and safety technologies. Smooth V6.
Lincoln MKC - Decent all around, should be able to get good discounts. Our test vehicle has had some significant transmission issues (it still has less than 10K miles).
Infiniti QX50 - Old vehicle, but would feel similar to your outgoing G37. The extended wheelbase finally gives the rear seat adequate room.
Audi Q5 - Also a fairly old platform, new one is due out pretty soon, but interior would feel comfortable/familiar from your S5's
Infiniti QX30 - I believe I mentioned to you in a separate thread, I'm not a huge fan of the transmission/engine pairing, especially for initial acceleration/start-off.

Other potential candidates in that realm would be the Land Rover Discovery Sport, BMW X1 (if you're okay with the QX30 size this would also potentially work) or larger X3. New MB GLC, but get's kinda pricey

Non-lux, but still semi lux execution, Kia Sorento Limited
Old 02-16-16, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lincoln MKC
Old 02-16-16, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Have you driven any of them? There aren't any "terrible" ones in the segment you're looking at.

Lexus NX - Very well rounded, not the best at anything, but not the worst.
Acura RDX - This was a little plain before, but the latest refresh brought some much needed available convenience and safety technologies. Smooth V6.
Lincoln MKC - Decent all around, should be able to get good discounts. Our test vehicle has had some significant transmission issues (it still has less than 10K miles).
Infiniti QX50 - Old vehicle, but would feel similar to your outgoing G37. The extended wheelbase finally gives the rear seat adequate room.
Audi Q5 - Also a fairly old platform, new one is due out pretty soon, but interior would feel comfortable/familiar from your S5's
Infiniti QX30 - I believe I mentioned to you in a separate thread, I'm not a huge fan of the transmission/engine pairing, especially for initial acceleration/start-off.

Other potential candidates in that realm would be the Land Rover Discovery Sport, BMW X1 (if you're okay with the QX30 size this would also potentially work) or larger X3. New MB GLC, but get's kinda pricey

Non-lux, but still semi lux execution, Kia Sorento Limited
Thank you. Excellent suggestions based on what we are currently used to driving.
Old 02-16-16, 08:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
The MB GLC
Great suggestion, but just not a fan of M-B or BMW. Not enough experience with either. Also, loaded GLC is around $58k. The S5 Cabriolet will be our "expensive car". The SUV will be the workhorse.
Old 02-16-16, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you can put up with the controversial styling, look first at a base-model Lexus RX350 for under 50K.

I agree with Jill that the Lincoln MKC is nice, but there may be some reliability issues. Consumer Reports rates its reliability substantially below average for the first year.

You mentioned the Kia Sorento. The last one I drove (a top-line version) was very refined, and drove like a luxury vehicle. Also has a great warranty.
Old 02-16-16, 09:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Low end - New Toyota RAV4
Middle - Range Rover Evoque
High End - Porsche Macan

Sweet spot = BMW X4 - Sporty, enough room and utility, good lease rates, and free service

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-16-16 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 10:09 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like Mercedes-Benz you want like the new Infiniti QX 30 coming out. I would take your time and look into even a fully loaded NISSAN Murano platinum
Old 02-16-16, 10:52 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Low end - New Toyota RAV4
Middle - Range Rover Evoque
High End - Porsche Macan

Sweet spot = BMW X4 - Sporty, enough room and utility, good lease rates, and free service
I like the Rav4 a lot. Limited or the S line is the best.
Old 02-16-16, 11:21 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hey I'm in the same boat. Family is looking to downsize on our SUV, and our current RX is beginning to feel too big for our taste. Currently, I have it narrowed down to the GLC or the X1. The new X1 looks really good to me and the size is pretty much spot on. I dont know how I feel about spending 45K (with the options I want) for an entry level vehicle. I can't believe they charge $300 for rear seat adjustments!

The GLC on the other hand is a bigger vehicle but I have always been a big MB fan. Looking to test drive soon and make a decision in the coming 2 months.
Old 02-16-16, 11:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Those are all nice vehicles, which you can't go wrong with. It would really just be your personal preference of style and statement.
If it were me, I'd stick with Lexus/Toyota or Acura/Honda. From a reliability, efficiency, and resale standpoint, they are good. Like the NX, the new RX will be a success.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 02-17-16 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 02:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Have you considered the upcoming 2017 Audi Allroad wagon? The new gen due in the fall is an attractive vehicle and you don't see too many of them here in the U.S. I've read that it will have 272 hp. (a couple of other reports said 252 hp.),

I'm in he same boat as you, looking for a replacement for our Q5 and have considered all of the models you listed. The 2017 Q5 would be a no brainer for us, but the new gen will come from a brand new plant in Mexico so it's off the board for now. The GLC is high on our list right now, but as mentioned, gets pricey.
Old 02-17-16, 02:31 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

of your list, i'd go with the RDX. not on your list, i'd suggest the Macaan or the GLC
Old 02-17-16, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you can put up with the controversial styling, look first at a base-model Lexus RX350 for under 50K.

I agree with Jill that the Lincoln MKC is nice, but there may be some reliability issues. Consumer Reports rates its reliability substantially below average for the first year.

You mentioned the Kia Sorento. The last one I drove (a top-line version) was very refined, and drove like a luxury vehicle. Also has a great warranty.
I'll quote myself here. Is an RX too big for you? You did mention a small SUV. And the Sorento, which someone else mentioned, though very nice, is, like the RX, actually a mid-sized SUV, not a compact.

Quick Reply: What small SUV to buy? I have a headache