Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus or Toyota Safety?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 04:55 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus or Toyota Safety?

Ok to start. I am not flaming or anything of that sort. I am truly just curios. My family owns multiple Lexus/Toyota products, but I must ask outside of active safety system collision avoidance, ABS, ESP, etc. Are Lexus and Toyota's pretty much the same when its comes to safety?

IE Same glass strength, same metal strength, principally the same design for energy absorption? Etc. So really when shopping for a car one could not say if I pay more the Lexus will be better in a collision? (I know the Lexus might have more avoidance, I am talking about the crash itself)

In our care we are thinking of a Lexus GX or Toyota Highlander. I would awesome the GX is better being a true SUV, but say the RX vs Highlander or the ES vs Camry. Relatively similar cars. Do they offer the same level of protection?

Last edited by satnav; 01-27-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 07:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

8 Standard Airbags in Highlander. 10 Standard Airbags in RX.
Old 01-27-16, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you actually want the utmost in (current) automotive safety, Volvo or Mercedes, in general, would probably be a better bet...but you would not have the same general level of mechanical or electrical reliability as in a Lexus or Toyota. Volvo and Mercedes have long been known as the auto industry's safety-leaders.

As far as the differences between a Lexus and Toyota with general safety-features, there are some minor differences (such as the 8-vs.-10 airbags that Hoovey pointed out in the Highlander/RX), but I don't see many major ones.
Old 01-27-16, 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The OP generally speaking, they are the same. However, there are times where a Lexus or a Toyota may have some safer features whereas the other may not. Pre-crash was one of the features I can think of, but it debuted on both the Lexus LX and Toyota LC at the time of those models.
Old 01-28-16, 04:13 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Thanks for everyones response. I know this might not be anyone here may know, but is the front windshield and metal stronger in a Lexus? I saw an accident involving a fairly new Camry and the car appeared demolished in the head on collision, but the other vehicle a I think a C class seemed to be also heavily damaged but everything behind the engine seemed pretty recognizable.

It kind of makes me feel a bit unsafe in my car knowing that they are pretty much designed and manufactured by the same people. I guess I hoping to get some assurance that my car is "safe" and made with strong high quality metal, and quality strong glass to protect me and my family in a collision.
Old 01-28-16, 04:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Thanks for everyones response. I know this might not be anyone here may know, but is the front windshield and metal stronger in a Lexus? I saw an accident involving a fairly new Camry and the car appeared demolished in the head on collision, but the other vehicle a I think a C class seemed to be also heavily damaged but everything behind the engine seemed pretty recognizable.

It kind of makes me feel a bit unsafe in my car knowing that they are pretty much designed and manufactured by the same people. I guess I hoping to get some assurance that my car is "safe" and made with strong high quality metal, and quality strong glass to protect me and my family in a collision.
Way too many variables could go into why Camry was more cosmetically damaged than a C-Class.

You could look at the various agency, NHTSA, IIHS, etc crash ratings on standardized test protocols to see how vehicles stack up.
Old 01-28-16, 04:23 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Ok thanks again. Not to keep this flaming. So I was researching the glass it seems the RX so I am sure other Lexus have double panned glass? In theory that is stronger than standard single pane Toyota glass?

Again I appreciate everyones patience and feedback with my dumb post. I guess if anything I am just trying re assure myself my family has a safe car. The RX (multiple) we on scored well in the IIHS
Old 01-28-16, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ok thanks again. Not to keep this flaming. So I was researching the glass it seems the RX so I am sure other Lexus have double panned glass? In theory that is stronger than standard single pane Toyota glass?

Lexus RX 350 - Double Paned Glass Explanation - YouTube

Again I appreciate everyones patience and feedback with my dumb post. I guess if anything I am just trying re assure myself my family has a safe car. The RX (multiple) we on scored well in the IIHS
I think you are looking to convince yourself that Lexus materials or parts are stronger than Toyota parts. Why don't you look up some crash test results yourself and see what the ratings are?
Old 01-28-16, 04:47 PM
satnav
Pole Position

I have they are generally the same, but lets just be honest IIHS, NHTS, ENCAP all these tests are nothing to be proud of passing. Nearly all makes and models from micro cars to full size now score in the 4 or 5 range. Its like saying I deserve an award for getting my drivers license. It would be more surprising if one did not pass their driving test.
Old 01-28-16, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I think you are looking to convince yourself that Lexus materials or parts are stronger than Toyota parts. Why don't you look up some crash test results yourself and see what the ratings are?
Better yet, buy what you like, what you can afford, meets your needs, and (if applicable) your family will be happy with....and stop losing any more sleep worrying over what is safer than what. Like I said earlier, if you want what is probably the industry standard in safety today, go with Volvo or Mercedes. But this is not the 1950s any more......virtually anything certified for sale in the American market today is going to be reasonably safe. I'd avoid a Smart-for-Two, though...that's stretching it LOL.
Old 01-28-16, 05:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have they are generally the same, but lets just be honest IIHS, NHTS, ENCAP all these tests are nothing to be proud of passing. Nearly all makes and models from micro cars to full size now score in the 4 or 5 range. Its like saying I deserve an award for getting my drivers license. It would be more surprising if one did not pass their driving test.
The crash testing are something to be proud of testing. I believe some manufacturers can opt out of some testing.

The LX570 has no reliable data at Safercar.gov while the Sequoia does. I wonder why the LX570 has no reliable data?

Thicker material does not exactly mean stronger material. You would think it does but that might not be the case.
Old 01-28-16, 05:09 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for everyone's response. I know this might not be anyone here may know, but is the front windshield and metal stronger in a Lexus? I saw an accident involving a fairly new Camry and the car appeared demolished in the head on collision, but the other vehicle a I think a C class seemed to be also heavily damaged but everything behind the engine seemed pretty recognizable.

Unfortunately post-crash pictures are not a scientific method of determining crash-worthiness. Use some great sites in the US and Europe for crash test ratings. What you're trying to do is distill some large statistics into a car that you feel safe in.

If you are concerned, you will probably worry yourself into a huge pickup truck or a surplus armored Hummer
Old 01-28-16, 05:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The laminated side glass is primarily for noise isolation.
Old 01-28-16, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Better yet, buy what you like, what you can afford, meets your needs, and (if applicable) your family will be happy with....and stop losing any more sleep worrying over what is safer than what. Like I said earlier, if you want what is probably the industry standard in safety today, go with Volvo or Mercedes. But this is not the 1950s any more......virtually anything certified for sale in the American market today is going to be reasonably safe. I'd avoid a Smart-for-Two, though...that's stretching it LOL.
I would agree. But I would also add that sites like Safercar.gov give at least data into certain aspects of safety.
Old 01-28-16, 07:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The laminated side glass is primarily for noise isolation.
Exactly what I was going to say. Remember that up until a few years ago (before Lexus as a brand came on sale in its home market of Japan), a number of Lexus models were sold as Toyota models in Japan. Lexus and Toyota models still share a lot, including the all-important "platform" (which includes how they are built). The design and construction of the platform plays a far-greater role in crash safety than laminated side windows, for example.

What differentiates a Lexus from a Toyota are the flashy features (extra sound insulation, availability of electronic safety nannies such as blind-spot monitoring and pre-crash features, perhaps availability of extra airbags), not the greasy underpinnings; and it is the greasy underpinnings that spell out how well a car does in the IIHS and NHTSA crash tests.

As Mike (mmarshall) suggested, if you feel safer in a Lexus ES than a Toyota Camry (which both share the same platform), and you can afford it, then buy the Lexus. But if you cannot afford the Lexus or cannot afford the extra-cost safety options (such as pre-crash features), do not lose sleep buying the lesser-optioned ES or the less-expensive Camry. They are both built on the same platform and both share the same crash-test ratings.

Quick Reply: Lexus or Toyota Safety?