Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV's for around $10,000

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 10:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default SUV's for around $10,000

Been thinking about selling the pos 1993 Toyota truck and 1992 SC300 and buying one car. My mind is pretty made up on getting a 4Runner, after concluding that its damn near impossible to find a decent Tacoma with low miles and the options I want for that price(extra cab or crew cab, v6, 4wd or Prerunner TRD spec with the big tires).

Is there anything else worth looking at in this segment that I might have overlooked, at this price point??? I could score a 2004-2006 2wd 4Runner in decent condition for my budget, it might have more than 100k miles on it though. I also like the previous gen model 4Runners, there is a 2000 2wd Limited with 97k miles near me that I'm going to look at tomorrow. From the ebay ad/pics it looks immaculate.

Keep in mind I do plan to tow a bit with this truck, as in a small bass boat, trailer with construction debris(going to buy a house soon, don't mind one that needs work), maybe a Mazda Miata. So please don't recommend something like a Honda CR-V, Rav4, etc.

I've also thought about buying a J100 Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470. Its just those things are so damn expensive used, and also just guzzle the gas. I'm open to the idea of one of those trucks, but I doubt I could get a minty fresh one with under 100k on it at my $10,000 budget.

So is there anything else out there that you'd recommend that I'm overlooking???? Keep in mind I plan to make this my primary driver for the next 4-5 years and probably buy a couple of more interesting cars with the money I save(1st or 2nd gen Miata to go road racing comes to mind)
Old 12-21-15, 10:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with 4Runner, I have had both 99 Limited and 06 SR5, the 06 is so much better to drive, only complain is the interior is bit less durable, but the powertrain is wayyyyy better feel than the old model. Or you could think about a 05+ Sequia, the 295hp and 5 speed is major improvement over the old 235 hp and 4 speed. They all obtainable at 10k. LX 470 is in another league, it drives like a true luxury CAR, and can go everywhere and can do everything well, except gas mileage. I have had them all, but if let me choose one for a only vehicle, I would probably go with a Sequoia Limited.
Old 12-21-15, 10:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought about a Sequoia, but I just don't need something that damn big(and gas guzzling). I've also thought about a 2000-2006 Tahoe, but I'm not sold on the quality of that vehicle. They're pretty reliable, but they don't hold up as well as the Toyotas once you pile the miles on them(things like suspension bushings, driver's seat, squeaks/rattles, etc) Plus its once again I don't need something that damn big.

That's the main thing I like about the 4Runner. In a past life I valet parked cars, drove everything. I could tell you the 4Runner was my favorite SUV, because even old, ragged out ones with a bunch of miles on them still drove great, didn't sqeak/rattle, felt tight, and didn't have any warning lights lit up on the dash. Pretty much the complete opposite of what I saw in older/higher mile Benz M Class, BMW X5, Range Rovers, those things were clapped out with 100k to 150k on them.
Old 12-22-15, 07:46 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely go with the 4runner too, just because it will last you for such a long time. My previous 1998 4runner that I got new, lasted over 11 years and 170k miles until I sold it and got my first Lexus. I wish I would've kept it =(.
Old 12-22-15, 04:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Might want to look at Suzuki Grand Vitaras. I had a 2013 GV for one year (it got totaled in an accident) and it was a tough little truck. With Suzuki out of USA market they go cheap, and this thing is offroad and tow capable.
Old 12-22-15, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with most of the 4Runner suggestions....if you don't mind the somewhat bouncy, truck-like ride comfort. Also might want to take a look at a used Honda Ridgeline. It never had high sales in the American market, and the low demand has depressed used-prices some. Though not a traditional ladder-frame truck, it does have a special closed-box unibody design that allows decent tow limits...Honda claims 5000 lbs. And you also have a small outside pickup bed (and lockable outside compartments) if you want them.

Originally Posted by Och
Might want to look at Suzuki Grand Vitaras. I had a 2013 GV for one year (it got totaled in an accident) and it was a tough little truck. With Suzuki out of USA market they go cheap, and this thing is offroad and tow capable.
Yes, mechanically, the body-on-frame Vitara and Grand Vitaras are tough little trucks (though, like most small BOF trucks, stiff-riding), and have generally good off-road capability as well. I'd be somewhat leery, though, of owning one now, especially if I planned to keep it for a while. With the factory itself out of the American market, original factory parts may become increasingly hard to find....and only the amount of demand for those parts will determine how many aftermarket manufacturers might fill in the gap.
Old 12-22-15, 06:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yes, mechanically, the body-on-frame Vitara and Grand Vitaras are tough little trucks (though, like most small BOF trucks, stiff-riding), and have generally good off-road capability as well. I'd be somewhat leery, though, of owning one now, especially if I planned to keep it for a while. With the factory itself out of the American market, original factory parts may become increasingly hard to find....and only the amount of demand for those parts will determine how many aftermarket manufacturers might fill in the gap.
Not as stiff as what you might infer. In fact my mother's 02 XL7 rides quite well. I've had it on the city/urban/highway route quite often when I park my GS. Because it uses a body on frame construction and tall tires/long wheelbase; it's quite a nice little truck for winter. Low range gearing absolutely makes it a winter vehicle.

In fact, it's quieter than my GS because of its taller tires and soundproofing. No problems with parts in Canada. It's a common design.
Old 12-22-15, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Not as stiff as what you might infer.
Agreed....and certainly better than the primitive Samurai. Some people, though, don't keep up tire PSIs (the American-market Vitara was sold before pressure-indicators became standard)...and soft tires mean a softer ride.

Low range gearing absolutely makes it a winter vehicle.
In general, though, low range is used not so much for snow/ice, but for off-roading when facing some very tough conditions....things like going over rock boulders, crossing creek beds, climbing/ descending steep grades, etc.... It works best with high approach/breakover/departue angles.

In fact, it's quieter than my GS because of its taller tires and soundproofing. No problems with parts in Canada. It's a common design.
Quieter than a Lexus GS? Or did you mean some other model's GS trim-lme?
Old 12-22-15, 07:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The GV does not ride like a luxury car by any means, but its not exactly stiff either. It has fully independent suspension yet combines frame and unibody components - which makes it very unique and capable. It's got 3500lb towing capacity, and I once towed 9000lbs for a short distance without any kind of issue.

It can certainly hold its own against big boys when it comes to off-roading as well, and it has that traditional Japanese simple engineering that makes it very reliable and very simple to repair. It is very popular in Russia and Australia - and in those countries they are driven in much tougher conditions, and have earned good reputation.

Parts can be a concern of course, but Suzuki is still doing business worldwide, so I think there will be a supply of parts.
Old 12-22-15, 07:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Agreed....and certainly better than the primitive Samurai. Some people, though, don't keep up tire PSIs (the American-market Vitara was sold before pressure-indicators became standard)...and soft tires mean a softer ride.

In general, though, low range is used not so much for snow/ice, but for off-roading when facing some very tough conditions....things like going over rock boulders, crossing creek beds, climbing/ descending steep grades, etc.... It works best with high approach/breakover/departue angles.

Quieter than a Lexus GS? Or did you mean some other model's GS trim-lme?
Quieter than my Lexus GS with its UPH Michelin PS tires and its winter Toyos both 17 inch low profiles with 235/45 width and profile.

Low range I agree with. I lectured my mother for the past few years about all seasons etc. She just insisted that you don't need four wheel drive and just put it in low gear and give er. Ever tried to argue with your mom? lol.

And of course her XL7 operates in rwd quite routinely with those darned all seasons. Of course that truck is now in the hands of the first son because she said, " you have a Lexus, you don't need a vehicle".

He is my brother and he blew up his Ford Expedition after doing a spark plug change and swore by it... until it blew up on him.
Old 12-22-15, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Quieter than my Lexus GS with its UPH Michelin PS tires and its winter Toyos both 17 inch low profiles with 235/45 width and profile.

Low range I agree with. I lectured my mother for the past few years about all seasons etc. She just insisted that you don't need four wheel drive and just put it in low gear and give er. Ever tried to argue with your mom? lol.
Yep...I've seen more than one driver get in trouble because they didn't understand how drivetrains and tires worked. They think that short gearing solves everything.

He is my brother and he blew up his Ford Expedition after doing a spark plug change and swore by it... until it blew up on him.
Might have used the wrong plugs, which didn't operate or fire properly in the proper heat-range, allowing some raw fuel to be pumped right out of the cylinders on the exhaust stroke into the hot exhaust pipe and catalyst....which, for obvious reasons, can be dangerous. Another common error when changing plugs is to not tighten them properly or use too much anti-seize compound on the threads, which allows them to loosen over time with engine-vibration and then have the piston-compression shoot them up right into (or through) the underside of the hood or underhood components.
Old 12-22-15, 07:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

In major western Canadian cities there is very little snow clearing on side streets. It's not all fun and games and ski bunnies folks. It's the reason people do look for 4x4 trucks or awd. Main streets get cleared by snow plows, but you are on your own on a lot of side streets.
Old 12-22-15, 08:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yep...I've seen more than one driver get in trouble because they didn't understand how drivetrains and tires worked. They think that short gearing solves everything.

Might have used the wrong plugs, which didn't operate or fire properly in the proper heat-range, allowing some raw fuel to be pumped right out of the cylinders on the exhaust stroke into the hot exhaust pipe and catalyst....which, for obvious reasons, can be dangerous. Another common error when changing plugs is to not tighten them properly or use too much anti-seize compound on the threads, which allows them to loosen over time with engine-vibration and then have the piston-compression shoot them up right into (or through) the underside of the hood or underhood components.
Yeah thankfully I wasn't around for any of that. I've changed all the plugs on my GS and it was a challenge. The GS is absolutely one of the relatively easier vehicles to work on. I was the one who changed the plugs on the Suzuki, and I could not get to the rear plug on the passenger side! It was a bear.

Whatever he did on the Expedition, he's driving a Suzuki.
Old 12-23-15, 12:43 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

4 runner, get my vote- i bought a 2003 from a gentleman about 3 years ago- it had about 90k on it- - i spend about 3000 / wheels / lift and nice sound system+ nav. t hat thing was a tank- i think it was just like a mini LX- i put in about 35k miles on it in 2 years and it never gave me any issues- i had the v6 one so no timing belt change/ the v8 has the belt- the v6 chain. I t was my 3rd car sold it to my bro in law- and the only reason i bought it because i always liked it- so i would strongly recommend the 4runner

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Been thinking about selling the pos 1993 Toyota truck and 1992
SC300 and buying one car. My mind is pretty made up on getting a 4Runner, after concluding that its damn near impossible to find a decent Tacoma with low miles and the options I want for that price(extra cab or crew cab, v6, 4wd or Prerunner TRD spec with the big tires).

Is there anything else worth looking at in this segment that I might have overlooked, at this price point??? I could score a 2004-2006 2wd 4Runner in decent condition for my budget, it might have more than 100k miles on it though. I also like the previous gen model 4Runners, there is a 2000 2wd Limited with 97k miles near me that I'm going to look at tomorrow. From the ebay ad/pics it looks immaculate.

Keep in mind I do plan to tow a bit with this truck, as in a small bass boat, trailer with construction debris(going to buy a house soon, don't mind one that needs work), maybe a Mazda Miata. So please don't recommend something like a Honda CR-V, Rav4, etc.

I've also thought about buying a J100 Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470. Its just those things are so damn expensive used, and also just guzzle the gas. I'm open to the idea of one of those trucks, but I doubt I could get a minty fresh one with under 100k on it at my $10,000 budget.

So is there anything else out there that you'd recommend that I'm overlooking???? Keep in mind I plan to make this my primary driver for the next 4-5 years and probably buy a couple of more interesting cars with the money I save(1st or 2nd gen Miata to go road racing comes to mind)
Old 12-23-15, 06:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Absolutely the body on frame 4Runner wins hand down. This was the vehicle I tested just before it came down to figuring where I was headed with car buying.

The one I tested at a dealership had a few issues and they didn't want to bargain. It was the V8 awd. What turned me off was the low seat height. I'm a taller guy and it seemed I was looking at my knees even with the best seat position.

In the end my GS has the ride/handling/comfort factor and the ability to kick a lot of butt when it needs to do it. But for a dedicated winter vehicle with smooth quiet motoring you can't beat the 4runner.

Quick Reply: SUV's for around $10,000