Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Low fuel tank is a concern???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 03:25 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts
Default Low fuel tank is a concern???

I watched this Fox episode a few months ago and I am a bit paranoid now

I am more conscious when I am low on gas now. I recall hearing this problem with older cars, but I assumed this issue was resolved with newer models.

Old 10-18-15, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good Video. I agree with most of it.

There's one other precaution I would also add. Driving with a low tank, when cornering on sharp curves, because of centrifugal force in the curve, can cause the gas level to all run over to one side of the tank or another, briefly uncovering the porting-hole in the tank where the fuel leaves the tank and flows to the fuel pump and injectors (some cars actually have the fuel pump in the tank itself). That means, of course, that the engine could momentarily stall, leasing to a loss of engine-driven features like a hydraulic (not electric) power-steering pump or, if long enough, of the vacuum-reserve for the power-assist to the brakes.
Old 10-18-15, 09:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

well dammit. I did it a few times already for GS recalls since they were giving me free fill up

I hope I didn't screw it up too much
Old 10-19-15, 05:13 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Also remember that all the gunk, particles, crap in the fuel settles to the bottom of the tank. Running it on empty is hard on the fuel pump, injectors and filter if its sucking up a bunch of crap.
Old 10-19-15, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Also remember that all the gunk, particles, crap in the fuel settles to the bottom of the tank. Running it on empty is hard on the fuel pump, injectors and filter if its sucking up a bunch of crap.
True, but that's not usually not a problem on new or fairly new vehicles. it takes time for the dirt to build up at the bottom of the tank......and that's only if the gas station uses crappy filters of their own built into their gas pumps.
Old 10-19-15, 01:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
been there, done that..... one time only.

years ago as a teen I was in my dads car with about 1/8 tank of gas and made a u-turn. Bad idea, the car sputtered and died. I walked and bought a 2 gallon gas can and put it in but she wouldn't start....had to have the entire fuel system cleaned out because it had sucked up some crud and blocked the fuel line.

I never let my gas get lower than 1/4 tank anymore....most of the time I'll fill up when it gets just below 1/2.
Old 10-19-15, 02:01 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

if you've done this a few times, and if your car still works, and you never run it on empty again..... would the fuel system and pump be good from now on?
or have you already set off a chain of events that will lead to failure sooner or later?
Old 10-20-15, 11:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know. Thanks. I always run it down to empty.
Old 10-23-15, 03:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been driving for almost 30 years and I almost always wait until the fuel light comes on before I fill up. I have never had a fuel pump fail and never had a clogged fuel filter. I'm sure running the tank low can indeed cause fuel pump failure on occasion, but I'm not worried about it. I have never run the tank completely dry and out of gas though. I've had about 18 cars in my lifetime so far. A few over 150K miles, and most around 100K miles before I sold them.
Old 10-23-15, 07:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What the f--- is a "Car Coach"?
Old 10-23-15, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Didn't have any speakers but followed along with the infograph. The gas light on my IS comes on when the range reads 29-33 miles left before 0. Of course there is usually a 1.5-2 gallon reserve once you hit 0, so in a pinch no worries you can go below E, just I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Old 10-23-15, 10:50 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to fill up at about a quarter left, but now I realize that the dummy low fuel light is way too happy to come on. I can drive my car another 50 miles after the light comes on only to see that I fill up 15 so odd gallons of my 17 gallon tank.
Old 10-23-15, 01:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I've been driving for almost 30 years and I almost always wait until the fuel light comes on before I fill up. I have never had a fuel pump fail and never had a clogged fuel filter. I'm sure running the tank low can indeed cause fuel pump failure on occasion, but I'm not worried about it. I have never run the tank completely dry and out of gas though. I've had about 18 cars in my lifetime so far. A few over 150K miles, and most around 100K miles before I sold them.
Yeah I think this is overblown. I personally fill up at a quarter tank but my mother continuously runs her cars down to the last gallon and has been for well over a decade. In fact, she will frequently only pump 4 gallons or so in her large SUV then get back on the road if she's in a hurry. None of her cars have had fuel system-related issues.
Old 10-23-15, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
but my mother continuously runs her cars down to the last gallon and has been for well over a decade. In fact, she will frequently only pump 4 gallons or so in her large SUV then get back on the road if she's in a hurry. None of her cars have had fuel system-related issues.
Even doing something potentially risky like that, one can still (sometimes) avoid fuel-system problems by sticking to gas stations that maintain their filters well and by not filling up while the big tanker trucks are actually pumping gas underground into the big storage tanks. That's because the enormous flow-pressure of the tanker-refilling dislodges a lot of the crud in the bottom of the tanks, and that crud can go right out through the pumps into your own gas tank, especially if the station's own filters are poorly maintained. Best bet is to wait at least five minutes after the tanker truck is done (for all the stirred-up crud and sentiment to settle back down to the bottom of the underground tank), THEN go ahead and fill your car up. If people in line, behind you, are impatient, and don't want to wait a couple of minutes, then, fine.......let THEM pump the dirt/sediment into THEIR tanks LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-23-15 at 05:12 PM.