Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts
Default Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Your 4 runner has a self closing hatch or self closing doors? The LS has power closing side doors, If they don't shut all the way the motor pulls them shut.

LED Vs HID Depends on the application. I had a 3 IS loaner that had LED and o didn't like it vs HID, then I had an NX loaner last week with LED and I thought they were great.
Old 08-31-15, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Your 4 runner has a self closing hatch or self closing doors? The LS has power closing side doors, If they don't shut all the way the motor pulls them shut.

LED Vs HID Depends on the application. I had a 3 IS loaner that had LED and o didn't like it vs HID, then I had an NX loaner last week with LED and I thought they were great.
The 4Runner has a self closing door that is similar to the LS side door, but it is on the rear hatch. You have to manually close it and then it does the same similar thing as the LS. Not really sure what the point is. The new 4Runner deleted it.
Old 08-31-15, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I do like about them on the LS is in the garage where getting out is tight, I often will shut the door but not hard enough to shut it all the way. Keeps me from having to open it and re-shut it.

Hardly a must have though.
Old 08-31-15, 04:59 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Another day and another Jeep Cherokee recall. How many more issues is Jeep going to have? I guess if you have time to take it to the dealership every month by all means go ahead and buy one fully expecting to take it to the dealership for issues.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/31/2...usauto00000016

Last edited by Diesel350; 08-31-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

FYI the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are completely different vehicles. We're talking about the Grand Cherokee, that recall is for the Cherokee.

Toyota has had its share of recalls. You might be interested to know that my 2013 GS had more recalls in the time I had it than both my 2011 and 2014 Grand Cherokees.

Guys...if You're going to post an opinion...at least have some idea what you're talking about. Otherwise all you're doing is flapping your gums and its not of any value to anybody.
Old 08-31-15, 05:21 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

FYI the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are completely different vehicles. We're talking about the Grand Cherokee, that recall is for the Cherokee.

Toyota has had its share of recalls. You might be interested to know that my 2013 GS had more recalls in the time I had it than both my 2011 and 2014 Grand Cherokees.

Guys...if You're going to post an opinion...at least have some idea what you're talking about. Otherwise all you're doing is flapping your gums and its not of any value to anybody.
I saw Grand Cherokee mentioned in the article, maybe I miss read it but regardless the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is riddled with issues. It's has 14 recalls, 5 investigations by NHTSA, and 19 TSB's

The 2013 GS350 has had only 2 recalls and 11 TSB's which is less than the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Who's flapping their gums and not adding any value now?
Old 08-31-15, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You misread it. The GC was mentioned about an incentive program for prior recalls.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is riddled with issues. It's has 14 recalls, 5 investigations by NHTSA, and 19 TSB's
If you look at those recalls you will see that they were predominantly early run 2014 models. 2014 was a long year, like 2013 for the GS. My 2014 was a very late build and was excellent. The 2015 GC has also been a big improvement over the 2014. I posted on Jeep forums just as I post here, and the difference between late run 2014s and early 2014s is huge. So much so that many of the members there demarcate between 2014 and "2014.5" vehicles.

The 2013 GS350 has had only 2 recalls and 11 TSB's which is less than the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
And only one of those recalls applied to MY 2014 GC. Read what I said.

Who's flapping their gums and not adding any value now?
Seeing that the OP's question was if anybody had owned a JGC and you've had none, while I've had two, you erroneously attributed a recall to the GC when it did not apply to the vehicle, and you obviously don't know the backstory between GC issues in early 2014 builds and later 2014 builds...that would still be you.
Old 08-31-15, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Personally, I don't recommend any used car in almost any situation if one can afford a new vehicle. What is your opinion in that?
Usually, I don't either, but there are a few exceptions. It's no secret that CPOs and Car Fax reports have taken some of the risk out of buying used, but have done so by adding to the average used car transaction price to cover some or all of cost of all the required CPO-spec inspections and/or repairs if needed. The added price of a CPO-spec used car varies by manufacturer, but is usually a significant part of the asking price (here's a good link to that issue)

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...sp?story=value

In addition, in my experience, although CPOs today tend to be in better condition than they once were, I still catch things on some of the samples I've seen that, IMO, should have been caught and addressed on the CPO checklist if they actually followed that list religiously. If the dealership is small and has only limited time/space in its service bay, they may not have the time or equipment to actually do all required (roughly) 160 inspections on every CPO car as required by the book. (that's not something that one can do in ten minutes...it takes time to do it right). So, as a customer, you're paying extra for a CPO that may or may not have actually been as carefully inspected and/or repaired as the CPO ads suggest.

Non-CPO's, of course, in general, involve even more risk, though still not to the level they once did. As for myself, I could sell my own personal car (and sometimes do, if I'm not satisfied with the trade offer), to someone else with a clear conscience, and sleep well that night, knowing that I did not knowingly or intentionally defraud them in any way. Any car that I owned will have been carefully hand-washed regularly, had all of the winter salt flushed off the underside and in hidden places whenever possible (if the temperature is above freezing and/or permits it with a hose), had regular oil changes and other required service done correctly, passed all Virginia state and emissions inspections, and will not have been abused in any way from an aggressive-driving or drag-racing standpoint. Its only fault may be a few small dings or nicks here and there from careless kids on bikes, an occasional piece of gravel from the road, or from acorns (remember our recent conversation about parking under trees?....sometimes I'm forced to, and have little choice). But not every car owner is as diligent about car care as I am....some people, IMO, are willfully negligent or simply don't want to spend the time or money to do it right. And I'd look pretty silly (perhaps even hypocritical), trying to tell others how to take care of their cars if I do a lousy job myself.

Last, there may be some cases where someone needs a large and/or roomy vehicle (they have multiple kids, large dogs, or just need to carry a lot of big bulky items), and they just don't have the money for a brand-new vehicle large enough (say, a full-size SUV or minivan). In that case, I would recommend them getting a large, used vehicle over a smaller, less-expensive newer vehicle that just isn't large enough to adequately met their needs. And then, of course, in a case like that, you sometimes have other issues, like proper family-planning, that generally go beyond the scope of this topic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 06:13 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

You misread it. The GC was mentioned about an incentive program for prior recalls.

If you look at those recalls you will see that they were predominantly early run 2014 models. 2014 was a long year, like 2013 for the GS. My 2014 was a very late build and was excellent. The 2015 GC has also been a big improvement over the 2014. I posted on Jeep forums just as I post here, and the difference between late run 2014s and early 2014s is huge. So much so that many of the members there demarcate between 2014 and "2014.5" vehicles.

And only one of those recalls applied to MY 2014 GC. Read what I said.
There were 5 recalls dated after Oct 1st for the 2014 Grand Cherokee and 4 recalls for the 2011 year model.

How did your 2013 GS350 have more recalls than both the 2014 and 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee when your GS350 only had 2 safety related recalls?
Old 08-31-15, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

You have to look at what VIN run the recalls apply to. Just because a recall came out in Oct of 2014 doesn't mean it didn't apply to early run 2014s.

My 2011 was also a very late build.

My 2014 JGC had one recall that applied to it.
Old 08-31-15, 06:48 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

You have to look at what VIN run the recalls apply to. Just because a recall came out in Oct of 2014 doesn't mean it didn't apply to early run 2014s.

My 2011 was also a very late build.

My 2014 JGC had one recall that applied to it.
Maybe all these recalls did not specifically apply to you but the model year as a whole had an insane amount of issues compared to other brands. To even imply that Lexus/Toyota suffers from the same amount of recalls/TSB's is absolutely asinine.
Old 08-31-15, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Maybe these recalls did not specifically apply to you but the model year as a whole had an insane amount of issues compared to other brands. To even imply that Lexus/Toyota suffers from the same amount of recalls/TSB's is absolutely asinine.
What did I say? I said MY GC had fewer recalls than MY GS. I also said that earlier run 2014s had issues while later run ones were much better, and the 2015s are much better still.

Seeing that I have owned multiple Jeep vehicles and multiple Lexus vehicles, I think I'm the authority on the comparison between the two.
Old 08-31-15, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Maybe all these recalls did not specifically apply to you but the model year as a whole had an insane amount of issues compared to other brands. To even imply that Lexus/Toyota suffers from the same amount of recalls/TSB's is absolutely asinine.
Vehicles today have reached such a state of mechanical and electronic complexity that nearly everyone is getting recalls. I don't think we can realistically pick one manufacturer out and say they are any worse than anyone else in that regard. And many of the largest recalls have been, not with manufacturer-designed components, but with those from contractor-suppliers like Takada and the air-bag issues.
Old 08-31-15, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota/Lexus also tends to hold back on recalls for things tnat they really should recall.
Old 09-01-15, 04:59 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

What did I say? I said MY GC had fewer recalls than MY GS. I also said that earlier run 2014s had issues while later run ones were much better, and the 2015s are much better still.

Seeing that I have owned multiple Jeep vehicles and multiple Lexus vehicles, I think I'm the authority on the comparison between the two.
You're alluding to the fact that Lexus/Toyota vehicles have just as many recalls/TSB's as Jeep vehicles when that is not the case.

Also, I'm unaware of any instances where Toyota/Lexus has held back in issuing safety related recalls.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?