Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW To Customer: Aftermarket battery installation Cause Fires, Airbag Deployments

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 11:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts
Default BMW To Customer: Aftermarket battery installation Cause Fires, Airbag Deployments

Last month, I shared the story of an unexpected double front airbag deployment in a BMW X5. In the twenty days since then, that car’s owner has been working with BMW NA, which conducted an independent examination of the car while it was in dealership custody. Yesterday he heard from a BMW consumer service representative, who told him that BMW has determined the reason for the deployment.

If this was Upworthy, or if we used the Upworthy Generator to create headlines, we’d have to title the article “What This BMW Representative Told A Father About His Airbag Deployment Will Break Your Heart. The Worst Part Is At 4:23 In The Call Record.”
“The battery wasn’t installed correctly,” the rep states later on in the call, “which caused a short. The battery cable began to melt. There are two scenarios that could happen. Number one is your vehicle catches fire. Number two is there will be an airbag deployment. There was melted plastic throughout the cable.”
It turns out that there are two battery cables on the positive side of a BMW airbag. One of them has an explosive charge mounted on it. Supposedly, when the airbags deploy, this device “blows the connection” between the battery and the rest of the car to protect first responders. You can see pictures of this device on E90Post.

From TTAC:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...g-deployments/

Thats pretty lousy customer service. I hope it will get corrected once internet got to it. But blaming battery on airbag deployment is a new low.
Old 07-15-15, 01:13 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would avoid buying bmws for a few years, they have too much corner cutting, bad design going on right now.
Old 07-15-15, 04:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Thats pretty lousy customer service. I hope it will get corrected once internet got to it. But blaming battery on airbag deployment is a new low.
They didn't blame the battery as much as the incorrectly installed battery ground on the aftermarket battery...which is to say its not a new low if they're right.
Old 07-15-15, 06:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They didn't blame the battery as much as the incorrectly installed battery ground on the aftermarket battery...
yep, it was incorrect installation----

I don't understand why they're harping it was the aftermarket battery.
Old 07-15-15, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW also uses those defective Tanaka airbags on a lease some of their vehicles. The article doesn't say if that applied to this specific model.
Old 07-15-15, 06:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, it was incorrect installation----

I don't understand why they're harping it was the aftermarket battery.
Probably because most people who replace their own batteries buy aftermarket brands. They want you to bring in your car to get the "OEM" battery.

Last edited by GSteg; 07-15-15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-15-15, 07:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW also uses those defective Tanaka airbags on a lease some of their vehicles. The article doesn't say if that applied to this specific model.
Takata*

And that's for 2003-2004 X5's. This is a 2002.
Old 07-15-15, 04:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

typical BMW bull. I wouldnt buy one personally. Too much OCD. I can only imagine how much they are going to want for the repair considering they are screwing the owner............and another BMW owner becomes a Lexus guy. lol Heard this story a million times before. BMW never learns
Old 07-15-15, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps the aftermarket battery was a different shape/size, therefore not allowing the cables to be installed correctly, and in turn causing a short. I've seen the battery compartment in my X5, and cluster of different tricky wires connected to it - and I certainly wouldn't trust a grease monkey at a local repair shop to replace it, much less with an aftermarket unit.
Old 07-16-15, 05:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

short was an incorrect term when you have a loose cable. Funny how they blame the battery when a loose cable can happen on any battery even an OEM one
Old 07-16-15, 11:37 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The headline of this article is misleading.

BMW blamed the poor INSTALLATION not the aftermarket battery itself.
Also they noted that the car had an Airbag Light which was on for some time that the owner never serviced which could have prevented this incident.

Spending lots of time on the BMW forum, BMW NA takes care of their clients 99% of the time.
I can speak from personal experience my family and friends had as well...

Im sure if the battery was installed at a dealer - they would take full responsibility.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-16-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 11:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
typical BMW bull. I wouldnt buy one personally. Too much OCD. I can only imagine how much they are going to want for the repair considering they are screwing the owner............and another BMW owner becomes a Lexus guy. lol Heard this story a million times before. BMW never learns
I remeber you had major issues with a dealer screwing with your LS - that doesnt make Lexus a bad car company. I believe in the end they did right by you.

Plenty of stories like that on BMW forums as well.....
Old 07-16-15, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Takata*

And that's for 2003-2004 X5's. This is a 2002.
OK...Thanks, typo on my part on the spelling. But there are so many millions of those defective air bags that it is difficult to keep track of which vehicles use them and which don't.