Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting off the leasing merry go-round

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 12:53 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have zero interest in a used car.
This!

I used to buy only used cars( paid cash eveytime ), because I can get a
Nicer car compare to paying for a new one with same anount of money.
But ever since I purchasd my first brand new car, I never looked back.

I also lease all my cars now because I finally realized that I would never
Keep a car for over 3 years no matter how nice it is. I get bored on cars so
fast it's disturbing. In fact I will try a 2 years lease next time, I have owned
My 750 for 2 years now and can't wait to get out of it!
Old 03-31-15, 03:23 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what is your decision?
Originally Posted by frazierwa
I've received a lot of input on my questions; I really appreciate all the feedback.

Today I called LFS and got the final payoff amount which was $36,500. I'm pretty certain that's at least a couple of grand under the fair market value. They said that figure includes ALL fees and they do not collect tax in my state. They confirmed that this transaction can occur via phone, e-mail, and mail. Once they get a check, they mail out the title. In discussing my dilemma with the LFS agent; explained that I'm not excited about any of the current models and don't really want a 2015 GS since it is basically the same car, he did mention that I can extend the lease automatically for up to 6 months. That might buy me enough time to see the next model year and find something I want more than my current car.

There has been quite a bit of discussion comparing the cost of leasing vs. purchasing. My guess is that if you are a skilled negotiator (major qualifier) there isn't a significant difference. You are paying for the depreciation cost either via leasing fees or in the declining value of the car when you sell it/trade it.
Old 03-31-15, 03:26 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

It really dpends on your personality. some folks just cant drive the same car for more than a year( guilty), some dont mind driving the same car as long as it does what it meant to do. So its not really which one is better kinda thing, its what fits you the best. Just my 02
Old 03-31-15, 07:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it can be a lot of work, but, buy or lease, it can also be a tremendous amount of satisfaction when you get past the work and take your new car home..........one of numerous blessings that we get in life. It's also nice to be able to help someone else less-knowledgeable than ourselves, even if we ourselves aren't perfect or all-knowing.
I'm with you--I'm drained by the time I sign the papers for a new car, because I'm scouring the internet for the best deal; I usually use a 100 mile search radius. My last car was particularly all consuming, because I got a CPO, and it can be taxing to make sure each listed model has all the features I want (it's surprising how poor a job some dealers do at making an AutoTrader ad, between not listing features, having few pix, etc). But, in the end, I'm usually satisfied I got the best deal I could--even with post mortem searching after the fact just to validate it for myself.

But--I know this is far from the norm.
Old 03-31-15, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierwa
Today I called LFS and got the final payoff amount which was $36,500.
Just remember that payoff includes your remaining payments. If you wait until you've made all the payments, that figure will be lower.

he did mention that I can extend the lease automatically for up to 6 months. That might buy me enough time to see the next model year and find something I want more than my current car.
Here's a question for the LFS person, and its one I don't know the answer to. If you extend the lease for 6 more months, does the residual buyout figure go down if you then buy it after those 6 months?

One thing I've never done is extend a lease.
Old 03-31-15, 07:32 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Good question, I would like to know too.
Just remember that payoff includes your remaining payments. If you wait until you've made all the payments, that figure will be lower.

Here's a question for the LFS person, and its one I don't know the answer to. If you extend the lease for 6 more months, does the residual buyout figure go down if you then buy it after those 6 months?

One thing I've never done is extend a lease.
Old 03-31-15, 07:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I found another advantage to leasing, and excuse me if you already know this. I went on Experian to check my credit score and it only shows the outstanding debt I owe on my credit cards. It used to show the outstanding balance I owed on my GS F Sport (which was being financed) but does not show any balance on my leased S5. I guess they don't include lease payoffs in their calculations. My score has increased since I leased.
Old 03-31-15, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think I found another advantage to leasing, and excuse me if you already know this. I went on Experian to check my credit score and it only shows the outstanding debt I owe on my credit cards. It used to show the outstanding balance I owed on my GS F Sport (which was being financed) but does not show any balance on my leased S5. I guess they don't include lease payoffs in their calculations. My score has increased since I leased.
It will eventually show up on your credit report, they just haven't started reporting the new account.

A lease shows up as an installment loan with the balance being the total of the payments. No different than a finance loan.
Old 04-08-15, 12:13 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wait til all payments are made, does the buy out price equate to the residual?
Old 04-08-15, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TitanCi
If you wait til all payments are made, does the buy out price equate to the residual?
Yes. The buyout at the end should equal the residual
Old 04-08-15, 09:29 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something just appeals to me to have that title in hand. I keep vehicles for roughly 8 years and they get a ton of miles on them unfortunately. So as appealing as having a new car every thee years sounds I've been bounced out of that ring. Sigh. Sounds sexy as heck though. Now my wife hardly puts on 10k a year. Lease might be for her and she'd LOVE a new car every 3 years!
Old 04-09-15, 06:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Something just appeals to me to have that title in hand. I keep vehicles for roughly 8 years and they get a ton of miles on them unfortunately. So as appealing as having a new car every thee years sounds I've been bounced out of that ring. Sigh. Sounds sexy as heck though. Now my wife hardly puts on 10k a year. Lease might be for her and she'd LOVE a new car every 3 years!
I'm with you. I keep 8-10 years or 100k. I've learned that keeping luxury cars past 100k isn't worth the maintanance hassles so I drive my car as much as I can vs wife's so I can get a new car sooner
Old 04-09-15, 06:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so question - what happens with insurance if you do the one payment lease and the car gets totaled?

or if you put down let's say $3000 (definitely a no-no) with monthly payments and the car gets totaled?
Old 04-09-15, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when its near time to turn in a lease, double check with the private market or car max to see if they could give you more than the buy out amount. If so you can sell it, give the dealer the money and keep the difference. Otherwise if you just turn it in, you lost out on that money.
Old 04-09-15, 06:49 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when its near time to turn in a lease, double check with the private market or car max to see if they could give you more than the buy out amount. If so you can sell it, give the dealer the money and keep the difference. Otherwise if you just turn it in, you lost out on that money.
So you are saying that LF will let someone other than the lessee buy the car at the residual value? Have you done this before with LF? Does LF collect sales tax in the purchase transaction? How does the documentation work?

I have a buddy who will be coming off a lease of a 2013 GS in August and I may be interested in the vehicle. How do we get around his paying 7%+ in sales tax on the purchase at residual value, and then me paying 7%+ sales tax when I buy it from him? Basically double taxation.

Quick Reply: Getting off the leasing merry go-round